• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

SF33 1/6 scale

Fans and Thermals.
Cliff Evans

Re: SF33 1/6 scale

Post by Cliff Evans »

I found about 6mm up and down was more than enough on the elevator. Air brakes do not make much difference at all!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Robcrad

Post by Robcrad »

Thanks Cliff
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Cliff Evans wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 13:35 Air brakes do not make much difference at all!
Now he tells us :lol:

I could have saved the time, effort and two servos!
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I may be wrong here, but I don't think he meant that the airbrakes do not make any difference.

I think he meant that operation of the airbrakes did not need any elevator compensation..

But maybe you all knew that??

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Barry_Cole wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 08:54 I may be wrong here, but I don't think he meant that the airbrakes do not make any difference.

I think he meant that operation of the airbrakes did not need any elevator compensation..

But maybe you all knew that??

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Thank you Barry!
Robcrad

Post by Robcrad »

Hi everyone,
well almost ready for the maiden of my SF33, few tweaks and good to go,
just wanted to thank everyone on this thread, made my build much easier!

Regards

Rob
SF33 2.jpg
SF33.jpg
Steve Naidamast

Re: SF33 1/6 scale - Reply to Peter regarding plans inaccuracies...

Post by Steve Naidamast »

Peter...

I have been working on my SF33 for several weeks now and have found the same issues you described in your previous email of May 21, regarding the inaccuracies you found with the plans.

Though I have built a number of kits in the past, this is my first build of a short-kit. And being here in the States, I had to do a bit of work to get as accurate a set of measurement conversions to the Imperial standard as I could.

So far, I have been getting my left-wing set up with a number of the ribs ready for gluing but I am waiting until I have all of them fitted.

Working on the build this morning, I noticed that the nearer to the root I went with fitting the ribs, the more level their fronts became with my leading edge. Though I double checked the height that the leading edge should be, it appears that it may be somewhat low as a result of what I have seen with the inner ribs.

As a result, I will probably add a Balsa strip on top of the composite leading edge I already have (the Balsa backing has already been glued successfully). This additional height should allow all of the ribs to have their sheeting fall flush with the leading edge after sanding it down slightly into the rounded edge the LE should have.

Thank you for your very informative notes on this build. I thought it was me, since this is my first short-kit build, when I noticed how poorly everything appeared against the plans forcing me to do a lot of light sanding to ensure that everything at least fit within the expected boundaries that the plans depicted.

Writing to Cliff Charlesworth on this issue with the wing ribs, he suggested what I had to do in any case, sand where needed...

Steve Naidamast
New York, USA
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Steve, although my name is Cliff and I supply the Cliff Charlesworth plans and short kits I am not Mr Charlesworth (I wish)! Cliff passed away some years ago now and left me all of his plans. Sorry for the confusion. Cliff and myself were very good friends for many years. Unfortunately there are inaccuracies in all hand drawn plans and also when printing plans there can be significant differences in the scales printed, this will depend on a number of factors, humidity for one and even software used for printing can make a difference.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Steve,
As Cliff has already mentioned, this plan is one of the original hand drawn designs from the Cliff Charlesworth range, so it is not unusual to have to send things here & there to achieve good fits.
The ribs are a particular area where sanding across several ribs is needed to achieve a smooth line.
Although CNC designs are better, you are still likely to have a small difference between the printed plan & the parts due to changes in the paper.
I’m afraid nothing is perfect, so ‘fettling’ or adjustment to some degree as you go along is often part of the normal build process ;)
Anyway, the model does come out to look nice & flies well once finished.
Peter
Steve Naidamast

Post by Steve Naidamast »

Cliff & Peter...

Thank you both for your updates.

I am sorry to hear that Cliff Charlesworth passed away.

I am not taking the inaccuracies with the plans as a negative but instead as a challenge. I believe I am a good enough builder to make the adjustments where needed. I believe in the idea of "add more and sand down", though I did sand two of my ribs so far a little short in the rear. However, some Balsa filler or 1/16 inch wood should fill in the gaps quite nicely.

I am writing up my own documentation that details my work on my project. I have two documents already produced and expect to create a third one after I complete fitting all of the wing-ribs on my left wing.

I will be forwarding a question regarding the upper sheeting on the wings but I need to finish my rib fittings first so I can take a few pictures of the wing to clarify what I will be asking.

Thank you again for your notes... :-)

Steve Naidamast
New York, USA