• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Jilles Smits 1/3 K7 Build

Let us all watch your new project progress.
calypso22

Jilles Smits 1/3 K7 Build

Post by calypso22 »

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so don't expect great things. It is also only my 2nd scale project, I feel the amateur among many professionals, please bear with me. Last October I began building a 1/4 scale Charlesworth Ka7 from Mr Evans, that was maidened with a tow in May, looked really great in the air with that forward sweep, and after much advice from the assembled, the 2 pilots were removed and a little packing placed under the tail. The next three flights were much improved, in fact the vario did begin beeping a couple of times! I took the model home without a scratch and since then the pilots have resumed cockpit duties and a large chunk of lead from the nose has gone to compensate. So with enthusiasm bursting all over I have now taken delivery of another Ka7 but the 1/3 scale this time, again from Cliff. I believe Im the first customer. The fusalage is well under way and requiring all of the bench, its enormous!. Touch wood all is going reasonably smoothly and construction I have found far less complicated than the previous model having lots of click together formers and longerons. Still requiring plenty of thought before the next piece is glued in however....I am really enjoying the build, and having the door to the hangar straight off the kitchen it is easy to slip away for a few minutes while the potatoes are boiling and no one is watching. When I have worked out how to show you a picture I will post again.
John Harvey- Dartmoor Slope Soaring Club
Peter Balcombe

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3 K7 Build

Post by Peter Balcombe »

John,
When writing your post, there a couple of tabs below the text entry box (Options & Attachments).
Click the Attachments tab & then the Add button to be able to select your required image from your device/PC.
The image should then load & give you a green tick mark. If another symbol then too large or other problem.
Note that the image needs to be sized to no larger than 800 pixels in largest dimension (100k or so max).

I normally add one at a time so that you can see which one causes a problem if any difficulty.
The ‘inline’ option puts the image in the text wherever the text cursor was at the time.
You can enter a useful caption name if you want.
The preview option lets you see what finished post should look like.
Peter
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

Many thanks Peter, will check it out, technology and electric things not my thing, I leave it to others to tell what to do as indeed you kindly have.
By the way have we met at the WMSA XCs anytime in the past?
John
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

John, we may have met as Chris Bowles & a few Dartmoor lads used to come to our Open XC comps, but I’ve not been to these for a numbers or years now & I’m afraid I cannot put a face to the name.
Good luck with the build. Jilles’ designs are very good.
Peter
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

P_20200718_162643.jpg
First mistake, I deleted my draft..doh! Hopefully you can see my pic of initial fuselage construction. So far all has been reasonably straight forward. I'm right at the aft end now and trying to make sure the fin aligns vertically with the wing seat, hence the clamped on level. I am one for using my eye and if it looks right I reckon it probably isnt far off. I hope that my primary efforts at building scale will inspire other beginners to have a go, this forum certainly shows there are plenty of experienced builders happy to share tips and encouragement in bucket fulls.
John
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

I think picture didnt work...try again.
John
P_20200718_162643.jpg
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

Hi all, here is a progress report on the Ka7. My first pic showed what I thought was a fuz well on the way to completion. In fact twas a mere skeleton, there was and still is a lot more work envolved..I should have realised. Having said that further construction has been reasonably straight forward and now things are really taking shape. All the .8mm ply cladding is on now and as someone who does not like waste Ive attempted to manage the cutting and jointing but not compromise strength and rigidity. The structure is now the size of a small hen house but remarkedly light..I think!
As before, getting construction in the right order needs thought. I will build the rudder next then offer up to the fin before adding fin .4mm ply sheet to ensure rudder LE is correctly covered by the sheet overlap and movement unobstructed. I have glued balsa sheet between the nose longerons where it was to be clad in ply sheet. This will be sanded, filled and glassed instead, as suggested by Jilles (thanks) in a post about a similar build, sorry can't remember where on SSUK I read it, there is so much info out there!! I hope the pic doesn't break any rules but my other half is trying to be involved and interested. Seriously enjoying lock down!
John
P_20200804_115027.jpg
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Blimey, that's coming on John.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

Thank you Cliff.
John :)
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

My 1/3 Jilles K-7 nearing completion thznks to Rich Vale.
IMG-20200830-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200830-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200822-WA0002.jpg
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk