• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Falke T-61A Cliff Charlesworth Plans.**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Alex Tankink

Re: Falke T-61A Cliff Charlesworth Plans.**

Post by Alex Tankink »

OMG

I remember seeing this aircraft (or one very much like it) as a young lad. There was also a Falke with the Airforce cadets and I flew in a similar one that was cream and red out of Border Town.

Looking forward to seeing this build! Great stuff

Funny I just got that book last week and studying it hard ahead of my first build an ASK 18 kit hopefully landing soon.

Cheers Alex

Adelaide
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Hi Alex

Thanks.

I just got a notification of your post from the 3rd August, today.

I've had a bit of a lay off of the build, but I'm hoping to get back into it very soon.

Good luck with the ASK 18.

Cheers
Max
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Well. I've had a few challenges - or should I say, "We." My wife and I have been tested these last few weeks, so the first thing to be hit was the model build. However, we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, so a few tentative steps have been taken.

T-61A 102.JPG

A bit of planking has commenced . . .

I'll Look back in, in a couple of days in case there have been any replies.

Cheers
Max
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Max, I am following this build, because of that I was notified of your post, which is why I cannot understand why you are not getting your notifications.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Hi Cliff.

Well I certainly got yours by email. That's progress. 8-)

Cheers
Max
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Great!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Well, I'm chugging along. Just about completed the canopy frame.

T-61A 103.JPG

The angle of the dash board is not correct. It should be vertical, not on an angle. I'm not going to stress about it.

I started looking at the moulding I got from Barry at Sarik, for the cowling. I must say I couldn't get my head around it until I placed it above a photo of the prototype. :lol:

T-61A 104.JPG

Now it makes sense. 8-)

Barry described it as ABS on the docket. What's the correct glue for that, please?

Cheers
Max
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

OK Some progress; one conundrum. :D

In preparation for fitting the cowl and motor, I made up a device which shows me the main shaft of the motor, as it protrudes from the firewall.

1.JPG

Here it is with the cowl tacked into place.

2.JPG

Here's a shot of the prototype.

6.JPG

Clearly the motor is sitting too low. To be scale, I estimate that it needs to go up 20 mm.

4.JPG

My first reaction is to assume that I have made a mistake during the building, but all of the measurements match the plan exactly. It's clear that the motor needs to be drawn mounted higher.

On the plan, the centre line of the crankshaft is centred on the teardrop bulge, but on the prototype, the crankshaft lines up with top of the teardrop

Is it possible to elevate the position of the motor, without needing excessive compensating elevator for level flight? Or, if the motor is moved upward, is it possible to shim the mounts to correct the situation?

3.JPG

I'll check back in a day or so, to see if anyone has replied.

Cheers
Attachments
5.JPG
Max
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Max
Could it be that the plan drawing is incorrect?
Comparing it with the pic of the full size, it seems that there is a significant downward slope to the front top cowling when it gets to the motor/spinner location at the front face, from the windscreen base to the spinner location.
Maybe your cowling needs to be mounted slightly more nose down (which will give a downthrust issue) but would bring the thrust line more central to the round spinner opening and the motor could stay mounted as per plan on the firewall.
Having done a fair bit of scale judging (for BMFA scale RC and FF competitions) I can safely say the times when the photos of the full size contradict scale and construction drawings are many and often.

John M
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Thanks, John.

It will be difficult to change the rake of the cowling, as the top line extends the line of the fuselage above the instrument panel.

I took all 52 photos of the prototype, so I'm confident of the angles.

I'm going for a scale outline, so I'm not keen to 'bodge' the cowling.

I mainly want to know, if I reposition the motor upwards, what shimming will be necessary (if any), to balance the elevator.

Cheers
Max