• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Rodel 4.2m Ka6

Let us all watch your new project progress.
roo Hawkins

Re: Rodel 4.2m Ka6

Post by roo Hawkins »

I still have a Capstan kit unbuilt . right at the bottom of my building_ never building list.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

matt wrote:Hi Roger, I have the 4.2 meter ASK 21. It's a good all rounder, rock solid even behind a modestly powered tug. Do you fly from the Mynd? Matt
Pleased to hear you like the ASK21. It was a toss-up between that and the K6 for me and in the end it was only the brighter colour schemes of the K6 that swung me.

I used to fly from the Mynd until we moved back up North in 2000. Now I fly off the escarpment near Sutton Bank on the edge of the North York Moors. Having said that, I test-flew the K6 on Weardale Common, North of Stanhope because there are some excellent sites there with better land-out options than I have locally. There is a club there, the WMGA who can advise on the best sites to fly from - restrictions apply at certain times of year.

I've now had over 4 hours with the K6 and it remains a delight to fly. I've been experimenting with props and find that an 18" is almost overpowered while a 14" prop is enough to climb briskly out of sink, about 630W (so under 50W/lb). The 14" prop is almost invisible and silent in operation.

Cheers,
Rog
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Roger
Thanks for the link.

I am installing an AXi into my Rodel K6e so pleased to hear that you find the set up satisfactory.

I have extended the motor shaft using a coupling and the shaft from a drill bit. The extension is supported by a bearing in the nose of the K6.

Regards
Mike
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

That sounds like a good plan Mike, although have you tried poking the motor's own shaft through the hole in the nose? Just like you I bought an 8mm shaft, coupler and ball-race, but when I offered the motor up to the hole from the inside, I was delighted to find the nose profile allows about 10 mm of motor shaft to protrude. So I never needed to fit the bearing etc.

I've also fitted 4 springs to the motor bolts so that if I give each bolt a dozen turns I can retract the shaft back flush with the nose for those pure gliding days.

By the way - I lurve this glider! :)
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Just for the records The model is a Ka6E this is different from the KA6CR
The E was a later version with a smaller fuse cross section and larger more streamlined canopy
A different profile in the mix as well gave a better performance than the CR.
The all flying elevator is more sensitive, this you will notice in the model as well , so not to large elevator movement is recommended.
I have 4.8 m Ka6E and performs very well. I am sure the 4.2 m will do the same.