• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Rodel 4.2m Ka6

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jolly Roger

Rodel 4.2m Ka6

Post by Jolly Roger »

Not so much a build thread as an overview of this lovely model.

Rodel have been making this kit for decades now in various forms and with good reason: it's a cracker. The 4.2m is available with an obeche-veneered foam wing or DIY built-up wing. I got the foam-winged version as it is slightly more robust than the balsa wing, with glasscloth under the veneer and a hardwood leading edge. In passing, it's the same wing Rodel use for their ASK21. There's also a 3.2m version for those with smaller cars/budgets/hands. And a recently-added 5.2m if you're rich, big car etc.

Also please note that mine is a 2005 kit; Rodel has made some improvements since.

The kit is a joy to put together - less work than a Teakle kit (e.g. the wings are finish-sanded including LE, ailerons faced with obeche) but there are a few jobs that need to be done right e.g. accurately gluing wing joiner sleeves in wing and fus, installing airbrakes, building the built-up tail surfaces etc.

All the main components and fittings are good quality and totally usable. Of course, being picky I replaced some to make it more scale or to trim off an imaginary amount of weight, but the thing is you could just open the box and build the thing.

I made the following changes:
  • replaced the hefty aluminium tailplane bellcrank and joiner with carbon fibre parts. The joiner is 8mm square carbon tube and the bellcrank is 4mm carbon plate, both from Easy Composites. Note: I understand new kits have a glass-fibre bellcrank supplied.
    horrible snakes for rudder and elev replaced with closed loop and carbon pushrod respectively.
    wheel mounted on sprung trailing arms to give some suspension (wheel not supplied, oddly)
    electric motor fitted in nose (Emax 4030, 5s 4500mAh LiPo, 80 ESC, 16x10 prop, about 800W)
    replaced laughably-heavy steel 20mm wing joiner weighing 20oz with carbon filled aluminium joiner weighing 10oz. Aluminium from B&Q.
    fitted auto-connecting MPX plug/socket in wing roots for wing servos.
    replaced brass control horns with scale shaped horns cut from carbon plate.
    edged all balsa tail surfaces with 2mm beech (coffee stirrers from Costa)
    replaced the 1/8" liteply canopy frame by moulding one in situ with carbon tows. Really easy and satisfying to do, and when you pop it off and hold it in your hands it has all the qualities aeromodellers seek - light, strong and super-accurate.
Building-wise, my biggest regret is that I didn't buy commercial servo boxes for the ailerons/airbrakes, choosing instead to faff on for hours with ply and balsa to save a few quid.
My proudest thing is the fit of the airbrakes. Damn you can't see them until they open. After years or frustrated disappointment with my own brakes and coveting the hairline fit of others', this is a big moment for me. I made the blade caps by pouring thick epoxy/microballoons onto the aluminium brake in situ, with a cellotape wall around the aperture and plenty of vaseline to avoid one of those oh-dear-I've-glued-the-airbrakes-shut moments. The cellotape provides the working clearance.

Here's some photos because we're all visual types.
Attachments
P1020512.jpg
P1020515.jpg
P1020510.jpg
P1020520.jpg
P1020516.jpg
Last edited by Jolly Roger on 28 Aug 2016, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Roger

Re: Rodel 4.2m Ka6

Post by Jolly Roger »

And so- to the hill! If you're interested in these sort of things, the flying weight is 12.5lbs for the glider and 13lbs for the electric. Rodel quote 13.6lb for the glider. Smug face.

How does it fly? I test-flew it Friday in 25mph and it coped well after a fistful of down trim, although I got the impression it would be happier in lighter winds. This proved to be the case. Yesterday I launched it into a damp 5mph breeze and she loved it! It just soared out, rock steady and rose effortlessly upwards in air that appeared to have no good reason to be going up. Turns super slowly with no hint of Miss Tipstall and responds beautifully to all controls, although I may up the aileron differential as it poked it's nose out of the turns a little without rudder.

Stall turns are lovely slow-mo and it does loops and rolls but that's not what it's made for. I just love beholding it's portly curves, it's cuddly fat fuselage and it's simple, noble wing planform. I cut a ventilation panel in the canopy which turns the fuselage into a musical instrument. It makes a haunting tone like blowing over a bottle - just like many of the fullsize vintage gliders that waft over our house during Slingsby Week. I'm looking forward to a long and happy friendship with this.

Thanks to my dad for the flying photos and for getting me into this crazy obsessive hobby 35 years ago. Bless him, I even roped him into launching my 28lb DG505 yesterday.

The Ka6 colourscheme incidentally is pure nostalgia - it's the same as my very first RC model, a Cambria Capstan. Now there's a model that needs the foggy lens of nostalgia to be appreciated.
Attachments
P1020506.jpg
P1020508.jpg
P1020507.jpg
P1010305 (4).JPG
P1010306 (1).JPG
P1010307 (1).JPG
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Nice model Rog. I remember seeing it in the build when I last visited you - its seems like only ten years ago. :D
Glad you have got it finished and it's flying well.
Brian. :) ;) :)
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Well done Rog...! I must say, that red grass looks a bit long to land in ;)
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

that red grass looks a bit long to land in

Red grass??, now I know why you were banned from the gardening....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

chris williams wrote:Well done Rog...! I must say, that red grass looks a bit long to land in ;)
She's called Heather. Highly recommended for test flights. ;)
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Well done rog very nice a bit different since I last soaw it in the box. . one I would like to build one day myself . ROO :D
terry white

Post by terry white »

Very nice Roger,
Thanks for the words on the maiden flight.I remember the Capstan well,Flew many belonging to people new to the sport.I had the Eagle from the same stable,flew very well as I remember. Terry.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Yes the Eagle was a more popular choice on our hill. I think you can still get the Capstan kit though. Hopefully the rudder is a bit larger and the fuselage stronger in front of the tail than my version, which is still in the loft! The most amusement we had from it was the tendency of the canopy to fall off in hot weather due to the acetate softening and unclipping from the fuselage in flight. This could lead to hours of "find-the-canopy-on-a-heather-covered-hillside" fun.
We got on better with the Cambria Miri, although it's alloy boom often needed a quick crank over the knee to straighten out kinks from rough landings. Got a couple of them in the loft too.
matt

Post by matt »

Hi Roger, I have the 4.2 meter ASK 21. It's a good all rounder, rock solid even behind a modestly powered tug. Do you fly from the Mynd? Matt