• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Simon WS

Re: Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Post by Simon WS »

Very slow progress I'm afraid, but I have at least got a fibreglass tub from the mould (which was destroyed in the process unfortunately)

It's a very much simplified verson of the real thing but to be honest you can't really see most of the full size features when the pilot is sitting in it.

I've just roughly hot wire cut the main shape of the mushroom binnacle - much too big right now but I will shape it down and then glass and paint it.

Seems to be taking a long time to make little progress but hey ho!....

Simon
terry white

Post by terry white »

Simon its coming on just great.

I think that its the detailed stuff that takes the time. I take hours in front the telly sticking bits inside the cockpit, dials on the consul, rudder peddles for his feet, canopy release leavers, window in the canopy. etc. etc.I have even made sun glasses out of brass wire and colored plastic. (writing this I have suddenly realised how anal I have become).

Then Rick rings up and says how you doing with it pops.I tell him and he says; Gees dad I could have bagged two sets of wings by now!! :cry: Trouble is he could have done. :x

Ah such is life.

Ter's thoughts:- The better the job the longer it takes. ;) Ter.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Or as CW would say, or sing:-

Perfection is the enemy of Progress.....

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
terry white

Post by terry white »

The big question now is:- Is Paul W going to take over this build thread from Simon W now he has acquired his DG 800. Brill if he does.
My 800 has been put on hold for a while but what with Roo's successful maiden with his this weekend and now Paul's new enthusiasm. I suppose I will have to get mine out again and join in. :roll: Ter.
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Yes i hope Paul will take over the thread - although he'll be building the DG so quickly perhaps he won't have time?!

It was a difficult decision to sell the DG as i really wanted the "Purbecks Full Set" but i just wasn't going to do it quickly enough with lots of other stuff going on and i knew Paul would...

Si
catwok

Post by catwok »

Simon, Terry... thank you both for giving me the opportunity to have a go at getting this iconic model in the air. I know it has been a wish of Terry's to see all 3 kits produced in the air at once... you never know!!!

I have been doing ridiculous hours again at work plus another influx of Fox kits to get finished, but today I managed to drill the fuselage to accommodate the wing joiner tube and cut out the servo wells in the wings.

I hope to do the DG justice....
terry white

Post by terry white »

Thanks Paul, cant ask for more than that. Ter.
catwok

Post by catwok »

Hi all, finally done something positive on the DG.... All of the servo wells have been cut out, air brakes installed and work smoothly. The job of releasing the flaps and ailerons was daunting at first, but started with 1 of the tips and it went without any drama, 3 hours later, all the control surfaces are moving freely!

The next job I'll be doing is making up the servo mounts and bonding into the wings. Then I'll give them a good sanding and paint very lightly with white emulsion to make the veneer more constant before coating with gloss varnish. This will help with the adhesion of the vinyl that I intend to use for covering.

No photos yet because I think they be a bit boring!
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Great news Paul - wow I really over thought the challenge of releasing the live hinges with visions of tapered guides etc!

Simon
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Inspired by Paul taking over my original Purbeck DG800 (and making it look easy!) I managed to get my hands on the last remaining one of the 3 original prototypes so I can have another go - I WILL be completing this one! Thanks to Paul and Terry for doing the negotiations with Matt and thanks Matt for letting it go for the "greater good" (I know how that feels as I let my first one go to Paul!).

This one is a little different to the other two in terms of wing and fuselage lay-up. The wings seem stiff enough but I think I will be adding some extra glass and kevlar to the fuselage is it does seem a bit wobbly and the model will lead a relatively hard life as a slope babe....

My last one had the canopy frame already completed but this one came with a sort of combined frame and "seat" - I say it like that because you would never get a proper scale pilot in there in its current configuration.

ImageP1020191 by swarrans, on Flickr

Started off by cutting out the frame, which I will then stiffen with some carbon tows. Not sure if I'll use the rest of the tub as it is not very scale and it might be easier to start again.

ImageP1020192 by swarrans, on Flickr

Obviously, now it was necessary to roughly cut the canopy down to size and give the pilot a test fly!

ImageP1020188 by swarrans, on Flickr

Now onto the hard bit - the wings! Unlike the last one I had the leading edges weren't shaped on this one and were rather big, so lots of planing and sanding followed.

ImageP1020196 by swarrans, on Flickr

More to follow...

Simon
Last edited by Simon WS on 28 Mar 2018, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.