• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Simon WS

Re: Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Post by Simon WS »

Thanks Robert - I think I will as I modelled my ASG29 on your full size!...

Simon
Robert Welford

Post by Robert Welford »

Hi Simon,

It appears that G-CJJH is the only DG 800S in the UK. The others are 800A's or B's, or 808's and are either turbos or self-launchers.
The DG 800S used the DG600 fuselage and the engined versions use a fatter fuselage. I believe the Purbeck 1/3 fuselage corresponds to the DG600/DG800S. Is that correct Terry?

BTW if you want any detailed photos and/or measurements let me know.

Robert.
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Robert, You are quite correct the Purbeck DG was modeled on the DG 800s and you are also correct in that it shares the same fus as the 600. I am watching Simon's intended livery with interest. Ter.
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Some DG800's were supplied as gliders and later retrofitted (or not) with Turbo/Self launchers, these have the fatter fuz. SO it is never plain (no pun intended) or simple.
Oh and then they changed the rudders..........

The one I look after was supplied and flown as a glider for about 4 years before having that big hole cut in the rear fuz and the stinky lump inserted.

Gordon
Robert Welford

Post by Robert Welford »

Gee,

If they were retrofitted with engines then they were manufactured as turbos/self-launchers, but with no engines fitted and without any doors cut out. Hence they had the fatter fuselage.

My ASG 29 is a 29(E) which means it is built as a turbo, but without an engine. The fuselage is the same. In the ASG 29 case the doors are fitted - all that's missing is the engine hardware.

Robert.
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

I've had car stuff to do, so not a great deal of progress, but I thought it might be fun to experiment making a headrest and stretch some vinyl over it to look like leather...

First cut out the headrest shape from pink foam.

Then stretched some vinyl over it - without heat it looks like there is no way it would stretch enough but it's amazing how stretchy and floppy it goes with just a hairdryer.

The back is a mess, but I just cut it off and stuck the edges with CA.

Now onto the instrument binnacle - for the second time (Paul has my first effort). First I cut out the face from epoxy board - I'll cut the holes for the instrument later. Rather than hot wire cut the binnacle sides, this time I just cut out rough blanks on the bandsaw.

Looks about right - it's always going to be semi-scale because the seat shape/floor is much flatter than the full size and requires less contortion by the pilot!

That's it for today - I'm off flying before it rains!

Simon
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Well done Paul on the first flight of a purbeck dg 800 on the long mynd on monday.the first of 3 .I have posted a video but not a good one in the video section of this forum.
20180827_124449.jpg
20180827_125704.jpg
20180827_124449.jpg
Well done Paul. Roo
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Pauls dg
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Thanks Roo. Rather a grey day!
Congratulations Paul - one down two to go (as it were!)

Si
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Another small step towards completion...

Taped and glued some sides made from balsa to the binnacle so that the instrument panel itself would be recessed in the final part.

Then a quick strip of glass around them to form a support prior to adding the rest of the glass.

Then and bit of filling and painting.

I'm not even attempting an "Antonia Level" of scale detail, but having said that, I might make some pedals so that the pilot has somewhere to put his feet...

Simon