Page 1 of 1

Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Posted: 24 Oct 2016, 07:24
by Simon WS
I spent yesterday driving down to Dorset to pick up one of only 4 prototypes Purbeck Sailplanes made of the DG800 in third scale. Even went on a ferry and through Sandbanks (very posh but terrible traffic!).
IMG_0530_zpsg1lvz1pe.jpg
The Purbeck DG800 never made it into production so I feel honoured to be one of the four owners of the prototypes and I hope to be the first to get one flying (there's a challenge for you Terry who is way ahead of me!) It's not a kit as such as there is a lot more work to do (mainly on the wings and tailplane) but the basics are typically "Purbeck Superb" and very strong. Some things I have never done before and are slightly concerning (like cutting the V grooves for the live peel ply hinges) but Terry is on hand with guidance so I should be OK.

I will probably start with the fuselage as it is the most complete and hopefully will give me some scalie-instant-gratification (although don't expect Antonia levels of scale detail here!)

Safely home after 6 1/2 hours of driving and looking pretty pleased with myself!
IMG_0533_zpsn6a44ehm.jpg

Simon

Re: Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Posted: 24 Oct 2016, 07:50
by Barry_Cole
So we will hopefully see you at MW next year then.???

Good luck with the build.

:D :D :D :D

BC

Posted: 24 Oct 2016, 11:35
by roo Hawkins
Hi Simon good look with your new build. Are you hoping to get it finished this year? Hopeing to get my own finished soon. ROO :D

Posted: 24 Oct 2016, 12:22
by Simon WS
Thanks for the comments. Answers as follows - will come to MW meetings as a spectator, it is much smaller than my 40% job and no chance of finishing it this year! There's actually a lot of work to do so I think spring 2017 is a reasonable goal...

Si

Posted: 28 Oct 2016, 08:36
by Simon WS
I've done lots of thinking and musing but not too much action so far. I'm hoping to recycle a chunk of bits from the destroyed ASG29 like servos, some of the wiring looms, gas strut for the canopy etc. This will impact some things already done by Terry/Rick but I hope they don't mind because when they designed the servo layout (15 years ago?!) they didn't have the high voltage, high torque servos available then. Consequently, as I want to run throughout on high voltage powerful servos I have removed the small 4.8V servos that had been fitted for the rudder and elevator and will be fitting Hitec 7245 coreless with 7.4 Kg-cm which should be plenty. I'm basically going to copy the electrical layout of the CARF DG800 which is said to be undestroyable in the air so will be using my ex-ASG Hitec 13 Kg-cm servos in the wings.

Antonia kindly sent me a small cross sectional view of the DG fuselage so I scaled it up on Photoshop and printed it out so I can start making the pan for the pilot. Pilot has been ordered from Wilson so hopefully he will have somewhere to sit when he arrives. Talking of pilots, my ex-ASG 40% keeps being arranged in compromising positions by my wife so when I get home from work I have a new surprise each day! I would post photographs but I suspect the forum would get taken down if I did!

Toodle Pip!

Simon

Posted: 28 Oct 2016, 15:02
by Simon WS
Posting pointless courtesy of Photobucket!

Posted: 28 Oct 2016, 21:08
by terry white
Hi Simon,after the big disappointment on the loss of your ASG 29 It is so good to see you back in the saddle with the DG800 build, it looks as if you are really going to town with it.

Yes it was 16-17 years ago that we created the DG 800 prototypes. (I reckon the epoxy must be cured by now!!)
Three in number were made, the 1st for Mr Simon Cocker to build and review in RCME. He did some pre-build writings of it which were very favorable.His kit has now found its way to Matt (black Spider) in Walsall, who like us is building his over the winter period. 2nd out was mine, the finish build is a little further advanced then yours but not by much, and the 3rd out was for son Rick which has now become yours.

Like the Purbeck prototype ASW27s and the Fox's (which you and Eric Friend now own) no expense was spared in the layups of the wings or fuselage. If during your build you require details of what is going on inside I will be pleased to help.

Simon said:-
Talking of pilots, my ex-ASG 40% keeps being arranged in compromising positions by my wife so when I get home from work I have a new surprise each day! I would post photographs but I suspect the forum would get taken down if I did!

Is she perhaps trying to tell you something Simon?? :lol: Good luck with your build. Regards Terry.

Posted: 29 Oct 2016, 07:57
by Barry_Cole
Talking of pilots, my ex-ASG 40% keeps being arranged in compromising positions by my wife so when I get home from work I have a new surprise each day! I would post photographs but I suspect the forum would get taken down if I did!

Oh, go on, give it a try....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC

Posted: 29 Oct 2016, 11:33
by eric friend
I'm feeling a bit left out.
I've got three pilots sitting in a row in an armchair in our spare room but they sit there day after day in entirely innocent positions, just like the three monkeys.
I'll have to get Simon's wife to have a chat with my wife to make their lives, and maybe mine, a bit more interesting!
Hopefully when I go to Simon's house tomorrow, I'll get a private viewing of his wife's handiwork. :o :lol:

Posted: 29 Oct 2016, 12:47
by terry white
Eric you are suppose to be going to look at the DG800 !!! Ter.

Posted: 30 Oct 2016, 21:10
by terry white
Not sure if this is true, I could have dreamed it after falling asleep in the chair thinking about Simon's pilots. But the story is:-

While Eric was talking planes with Simon earlier today Eric's wife Connie was seen to be looking longingly at the compromised pilots. She was twisting her head from side to side like a bewildered cockatoo when Simon's wife said "Oh" I know wouldn't it be good to get the boys back in those positions". Still shaking her head Connie said:-
"I don't think Eric ever got in those positions" Could be true. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Terry.

Posted: 31 Oct 2016, 03:51
by Simon WS
Settle down chaps, it is supposed to be a build thread!....

Si

Posted: 31 Oct 2016, 07:39
by Barry_Cole
This is far more fun than a build thread.

BC

Posted: 02 Nov 2016, 22:52
by eric friend
terry white wrote:Eric you are suppose to be going to look at the DG800 !!! Ter.
I did and I was so disappointed . . . that Simon wouldn't let me see his pilot in its compromising situations, well he knows that I have led a sheltered life!

The DG800 is great with its huge canopy and lovely dead straight wings, I'm not into kinky wings - my wife always says I'm a sraight lines person.
I've looked at the photos of the CARF version and it's excellent - you've got a cracker there Simon!

Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 16:45
by Simon WS
I've started to make the tub for the pilot using depron to make the mould and then I will apply glass over it and (hopefully) release. I plan to make the tub and pilot come out as one unit like the high end manufacturers do (even though it won't look as good as theirs)

I started by tracing off the full size side view "spine" and sticking it in the fuselage.

IMG_0542_zpspupty2mf.JPG

Front section stuck in with UHU.

IMG_0541_zpsvfcv9rpa.JPG

IMG_0543_zpsltnb5jn2.JPG

IMG_0545_zpsvojgwpwk (1).jpg

Covered in packing tape (could only find red) and waxed

IMG_0547_zpswvbtlcdf.jpg

Finally glassed with 4 layers and fingers crossed it will release!

IMG_0546_zpsnmqyjn2w.jpg

IMG_0556_zpsh5ahskxn.JPG

IMG_0557_zpsbiva2leh.JPG

IMG_0555_zps3c0sgowf.JPG

Si

Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 09:03
by Simon WS
Does anyone have a scale drawing of the DG800 instrument panel "mushroom" - 3 view preferably. I can find lots of front on views of full size showing the dial arrangement etc but nothing on the overall shape and dimensions. I have also got an official DG panel front view drawing with holes cut for instruments so I could probably scale the front view from that - the widest part of it has 3 instruments in it and if each of them is 80mm diameter I guess the panel itself is about 260-270mm wide? So my third scale one would be about 90mm wide...

Simon

Posted: 14 Nov 2016, 11:17
by roo Hawkins
Hi Simon did you find any information or plans yet of the instrument panel and mushroom.? If you do please let me know has I have looked but no luck yet . thanks ROO :D

Posted: 15 Nov 2016, 10:48
by Barry_Cole
There you go:-

Posted: 15 Nov 2016, 11:11
by terry white
Hi Roo, Heres more. Hows she coming along? Ter.

Posted: 15 Nov 2016, 11:36
by Simon WS
Yes thanks chaps - I have lots of photos I was just hoping to come across an actual 3 view drawing (which I haven't other than a front view). I'm not going to go mad on the scale element though so I will just scale the drawing I have.

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/index.php? ... nt-panel-e

I reckon third scale is about 90mm across the mushroom

Simon

Posted: 18 Nov 2016, 14:55
by Simon WS
Very slow progress I'm afraid, but I have at least got a fibreglass tub from the mould (which was destroyed in the process unfortunately)

It's a very much simplified verson of the real thing but to be honest you can't really see most of the full size features when the pilot is sitting in it.

I've just roughly hot wire cut the main shape of the mushroom binnacle - much too big right now but I will shape it down and then glass and paint it.

Seems to be taking a long time to make little progress but hey ho!....

Simon

Posted: 18 Nov 2016, 15:40
by terry white
Simon its coming on just great.

I think that its the detailed stuff that takes the time. I take hours in front the telly sticking bits inside the cockpit, dials on the consul, rudder peddles for his feet, canopy release leavers, window in the canopy. etc. etc.I have even made sun glasses out of brass wire and colored plastic. (writing this I have suddenly realised how anal I have become).

Then Rick rings up and says how you doing with it pops.I tell him and he says; Gees dad I could have bagged two sets of wings by now!! :cry: Trouble is he could have done. :x

Ah such is life.

Ter's thoughts:- The better the job the longer it takes. ;) Ter.

Posted: 18 Nov 2016, 16:21
by Barry_Cole
Or as CW would say, or sing:-

Perfection is the enemy of Progress.....

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 24 Apr 2017, 22:55
by terry white
The big question now is:- Is Paul W going to take over this build thread from Simon W now he has acquired his DG 800. Brill if he does.
My 800 has been put on hold for a while but what with Roo's successful maiden with his this weekend and now Paul's new enthusiasm. I suppose I will have to get mine out again and join in. :roll: Ter.

Posted: 28 Apr 2017, 06:42
by Simon WS
Yes i hope Paul will take over the thread - although he'll be building the DG so quickly perhaps he won't have time?!

It was a difficult decision to sell the DG as i really wanted the "Purbecks Full Set" but i just wasn't going to do it quickly enough with lots of other stuff going on and i knew Paul would...

Si

Posted: 30 Apr 2017, 17:34
by catwok
Simon, Terry... thank you both for giving me the opportunity to have a go at getting this iconic model in the air. I know it has been a wish of Terry's to see all 3 kits produced in the air at once... you never know!!!

I have been doing ridiculous hours again at work plus another influx of Fox kits to get finished, but today I managed to drill the fuselage to accommodate the wing joiner tube and cut out the servo wells in the wings.

I hope to do the DG justice....

Posted: 30 Apr 2017, 20:14
by terry white
Thanks Paul, cant ask for more than that. Ter.

Posted: 15 May 2017, 21:28
by catwok
Hi all, finally done something positive on the DG.... All of the servo wells have been cut out, air brakes installed and work smoothly. The job of releasing the flaps and ailerons was daunting at first, but started with 1 of the tips and it went without any drama, 3 hours later, all the control surfaces are moving freely!

The next job I'll be doing is making up the servo mounts and bonding into the wings. Then I'll give them a good sanding and paint very lightly with white emulsion to make the veneer more constant before coating with gloss varnish. This will help with the adhesion of the vinyl that I intend to use for covering.

No photos yet because I think they be a bit boring!

Posted: 19 May 2017, 10:59
by Simon WS
Great news Paul - wow I really over thought the challenge of releasing the live hinges with visions of tapered guides etc!

Simon

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 12:47
by Simon WS
Inspired by Paul taking over my original Purbeck DG800 (and making it look easy!) I managed to get my hands on the last remaining one of the 3 original prototypes so I can have another go - I WILL be completing this one! Thanks to Paul and Terry for doing the negotiations with Matt and thanks Matt for letting it go for the "greater good" (I know how that feels as I let my first one go to Paul!).

This one is a little different to the other two in terms of wing and fuselage lay-up. The wings seem stiff enough but I think I will be adding some extra glass and kevlar to the fuselage is it does seem a bit wobbly and the model will lead a relatively hard life as a slope babe....

My last one had the canopy frame already completed but this one came with a sort of combined frame and "seat" - I say it like that because you would never get a proper scale pilot in there in its current configuration.

ImageP1020191 by swarrans, on Flickr

Started off by cutting out the frame, which I will then stiffen with some carbon tows. Not sure if I'll use the rest of the tub as it is not very scale and it might be easier to start again.

ImageP1020192 by swarrans, on Flickr

Obviously, now it was necessary to roughly cut the canopy down to size and give the pilot a test fly!

ImageP1020188 by swarrans, on Flickr

Now onto the hard bit - the wings! Unlike the last one I had the leading edges weren't shaped on this one and were rather big, so lots of planing and sanding followed.

ImageP1020196 by swarrans, on Flickr

More to follow...

Simon

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 14:36
by Barry_Cole
I trust it will get a tow release......

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BC

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 16:44
by Geoff Pearce
Nice one Simon, see I said you would get back to big :lol: :lol:

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 16:46
by Simon WS
You know me Barry, spectator only at aerotow events!...

This one is just a tiddler Geoff, as I'm building it as the 5m version (for the slope obviously!).

A bit more glass and kevlar added to the fuselage this afternoon...

ImageP1020200 by swarrans, on Flickr

Si

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 17:12
by roo Hawkins
looking forward to this one. will it be flying this year simon???

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 17:47
by Geoff Pearce
Simon WS wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 16:46 You know me Barry, spectator only at aerotow events!...

This one is just a tiddler Geoff, as I'm building it as the 5m version (for the slope obviously!).

Si
Nice project anyway, look forward to flying with you again

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 20:26
by terry white
Nice to see your off with start number two Simon.

You've certainly started with a bang, a lot done in one day ,look out Roo and Paul W. he will take the prize for first in the air if we let him. :lol:

As already mentioned all three models were prototypes. Each with a different lay-up and finish.The intention was to produce a model with a similar spec as the very popular ASW 27. The wing lay-up of your no2 kit has a full length, top and bottom spar with a carbon vertical section making it into an 'I' beam spar,The wing joiner is incorporated, and is an integral part of this spar.There are three 150g glass interweave cloths. The first covering in an elliptical manner the wing joiner block and front and rear incidence blocks,the weave placed diagonally to the span. The second leaf was taken from the root to beyond the air break position with the weave span wise. the third and final leaf was taken from root to the whole length and cord of the wing.Carbon tows were layed into the trailing edge for stiffeners and to allow sanding to a sharp edge without the edge wandering from the straight. The spoiler channel was fitted, the low voltage drop cables to the 5in No servo positions in each half span. Last but not least the full length hing line was fitted with peel ply to make the living hinge which you have mentioned. All was then uncased into 1.2mm obechi veneer epoxy bonded, into the vac bag and low temp oven overnight and one day.
The following few days, while on test it showed that due to the long half span and short cord,coupled with a reasonable thin but changing section, the wing did show more flexibility then we wanted,so the following two prototypes were layed-up the same but changed the third full length interleave of glass to one of carbon cloth. This certainly made the wing much stiffer as you noticed with your first kit.
However a hand built wing of this complexity was becoming overly expensive to produce for mass production, hence only the three were ever made.

Don't think that the flexibility of the wing will lessen its strength in any way,That wing is incredibly strong where it is required to be.In the past I often gave talks to surrounding clubs on club nights. Any who were in attendance will tell you that for the party finish I would span a wing across the back two chairs at the tip and the root and then stand a medium size car battery in the middle of the wing, leaving it there while I took question and answers,just to show how strong Purbeck wings were, :o Can anyone out there remember this?

Well done Simon, I'm here if need me. Terry (Purbeck sailplanes)

Posted: 23 Mar 2018, 06:16
by Simon WS
Thanks Terry - great to have that info. I'll try to limit the number of stupid questions I ask!
The added glass and Kevlar in the fuselage has made a huge difference to the stiffness so now I'll start adding ply bulkhead corners to add crush resistance around the wing joiner and incidence pins.

I'm actually enjoying it again!

Simon

Posted: 23 Mar 2018, 10:44
by terry white
Si,If getting you to enjoy your modelling again is all that the DG 800 achieves, it will be well worth while. Ter.

Posted: 23 Mar 2018, 20:12
by catwok
Glad to hear you have found your bag of "mojos" Simon....

Posted: 23 Mar 2018, 23:34
by Barry_Cole
But he is still looking for his tow release.....

BC

Posted: 24 Mar 2018, 15:31
by Geoff Pearce
Barry_Cole wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 23:34 But he is still looking for his tow release.....

BC
He's got enough friends who could lend him one no excuses :cry:

Posted: 26 Mar 2018, 16:07
by Simon WS
I've been hard at it since I got the second DG and with huge thanks to Paul and Terry for help and advice the ailerons and flaps are roughly cut out from the wings leaving the live peel ply hinges intact. They still need a bit more work to free them up and get clean edges, but Terry assures me it is actually quite difficult to wear your way through the peel ply so I am gently using a triangular file to ease them up a bit!

Already getting a decent range of movement.

Next I drilled the joiner hole in the fuselage wing roots and trial fitted the wings and checked alignment with a laser and via the traditional measuring between wing tips and fin (I confess I had to Photoshop this image because the actual laser lines weren't too visible in the photo, but it did work well in practice - honest!)

As this is a hand built prototype, a few adjustments were necessary to the joiner tube alignment to get the wings square to the fuselage and I will need to do some fairly major surgery to the wing roots to get a good fit.

Anyway, I'll tackle that when I've made all the crush bulkheads and glued them in. I fancied a bit of bling (and strength) so I laminated some ply sheets with 200 gm carbon each side and then started marking and then cutting them out. I don't know if others have a better way, but I use bits of cardboard and basically use an iterative process to get a good fit. I ended up with quite a lot of them!

I don't know if any of you are Scrabble Players or Countdown Watchers but I'm sure you can do better than my "Doc Driving Under the Influence"!

Then a quick fit into the fuselage and that's enough for today.

I realise I'm not doing anything that others have done many times so maybe these postings aren't of any interest, but TBH it helps me keep at it, so plan to continue unless asked to stop!

Simon

Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 08:50
by john greenfield
Don't stop !!!

AEB

Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 09:15
by Barry_Cole
john greenfield wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 08:50 Don't stop !!!

AEB
Until the Ailerons fall off??????

BC

Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 10:25
by Paul W
I am stricken with bulkhead envy!!

Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 11:40
by roo Hawkins
[quote="Simon WS" post_id=17351 time=1522076832 user_

I realise I'm not doing anything that others have done many times so maybe these postings aren't of any interest, but TBH it helps me keep at it, so plan to continue unless asked to stop!

Simon hi simon your postings are of a lot of interest and I know I have learned a lot from your asg build thread in the past so keep posting please. it. all so helps you to start and finish a build it has done for me with my builds.ROO :D :D
[/quote]

Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 15:56
by terry white
Hi Simon.

'NO' you must not stop posting such an informative build thread, also gives me a chance to add to the things you bring up. ;)

Much earlier on I suggested this prototype was for you as I know you like to get down among the dust and glue. You also like the challenge of designing out any problems you come across and sharing it with the world. And I can tell your interest is returning. Thats Brll.

The peel ply that makes up the living hinge is a very tough and durable medium about 20mm in width and spans equally across the hinge line and bonded to the underside of the veneer. It is 'rip-stop' in its weave so if you were to go trough it it would not matter greatly. You will remember days of yester year when flaps and ailerons were only held on by a few single hinges along their length, here with your living hinge it is held through- out their full length So don't be afraid to attack it,and finally waggalling the surface back and forth until it is very free. My surfaces go to right angles full up to fully close the 'V' channel down.They hang down under their own weight,so are completely free.I scrape out the top 'v' channel with a stanley knife blade after taking the very tip of the point off to protect the Peel-ply. ;) The full 1.6mm veneer that we used on these wings can easily be seen in the 'V' you are creating in your pics here.

Due to the shape of fuselage (we used a little modelers license here) as the full size is scalloped at the wing root and would have been difficult to get the hand built vacuum bagged wing root to match.We were designing something we expected to reproduce in their hundreds,So it needed to be quick and easy to produce.

It was always suspected that an interim root rib would be necessary and had the model gone on to be produced would have had one made of glass board included in the kit.Glass or carbon board because the trailing edge goes way out to a point at the fus due to its scalloped design.The glass board rib would ensure the strongest building medium at a very vulnerable point to the model (wouldn't it be great if you could reproduce this in carbon to match the bulk heads you have already done?)( Blinggggg) Perhaps some pics to show what I mean here would be great. Suggested here is to fit the slightly oversized interim root rib to the fus using a little double sided tape,then,not forgetting a smear of release agent or Vaseline to the wing joiner to stop bonding everything together, :o r slide on the wings,making sure that all is square (as in your photos),. Adjust the fuse that is still flexible at this point to be equal distance of the gap between each wing,fit in the bulk head to save the adjustment,then fill the gap between the interim rib and the rib at the end of the wing with epoxy and a good filler mix. When hardened ,slide off the wings and sand block the oversized rib to match the rest of the wing. Wholla all fits perfectly. (If one is really clever the gap between the ribs can be used to inset the wing electrical connectors. ;)

You are right to fit the wings to the fus first, getting them square and with equal dihedrial before going on to other parts.It is surprising how many modelers put the fus on the bench and then are attracted to fit up the fin and tailplane.Relying on the fact that the fin is bound to be square (isn't it?) When they get to the wings which are somewhat determined in their position by the wing roots on the fus, find that their earlier work on the tail needs to be undone or live with out of square flying surfaces.
Common sense?? it does happen. :roll:

I know I am teaching an experienced modeller how to suck eggs, I don't mean to, this is for the benefit of the new members to our hobby who might find it a little guidance. :)

On a slightly different note,I know that you and I would like to thank Matt who owned the model previously. Due to greater commitments in his life at the moment reluctantly sold on the model to you so that I could benefit by seeing all three in the air this year,which he knows has always been a wish of mine.
Thanks again Matt, I hope you can make the maidens. :D

Regards Terry

Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 16:50
by terry white
Si,

I've noticed that you have bonded a Kevlar tape down the fus from nose to tail.

There in no glass cloth seam joint in the fus at this position,nor to the top of the fus as on other makes.
It is all manufactured as one unit from nose to tail and will not have the usual tape across the seam.
We manufactured it this way because the seam line with tape is an inherent weak point in a fus and is the first place to split on a bad landing, especially around the retract and rear boom. When this happens the now broken mono-cote integrity of the fus allows further damage to occur. :o :o

Have you decided to go with the floating wing joiner yet? Ter.

Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 07:17
by Simon WS
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and particularly Terry for the extra info. I might call you Terry for another chat because I had been thinking of going in a slightly different direction on the wing fitment. I might have to pause slightly because my large but unheated workshop is just a bit too cold to get epoxy mixed and curing well - I'll bring the fuselage into the house to glue in the baulkheads but I think it might be pushing the marital relationship a bit to start rigging up the whole thing in the lounge!
Thanks for the info on the seamless fuselage joint - the addition of the Kevlar tape and glass has really helped to stiffen up the fuz anyway and will presumably help on vigorous slope landings.
No, I won't be going the floating joiner route so that I can use that sexy carbon tube you sent me Terry!

Simon

Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 13:11
by terry white
Hi Simon,

Si, said:-
" I'll bring the fuselage into the house to glue in the bulkheads but I think it might be pushing the marital relationship a bit to start rigging up the whole thing in the lounge!"
Been there, done that. Im on wife No 6 right now. :lol: :lol: Ter.

Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 14:17
by roo Hawkins
terry white wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:11 Hi Simon

Been there, done that. Im on wife No 6 right now. :lol: :lol: Ter.
hi terry is that because you live in wareham and you wareham out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 23:09
by eric friend
Si, I must book a 'viewing appointment' with you so that I can come round and drool over your craftsmanship. You've certainly done a cracking job on those bulkheads.

My wife went to see my son last Saturday and while she was out I decided to reorganise my first floor model storage room (bedroom 4). I had about twenty models strewn on the landing and in her bedroom, (there's another thirty built models plus kits in the loft :lol: ), when unfortunately she returned earlier than expected :shock: . . . I'll leave you to guess her reaction.

Posted: 29 Mar 2018, 17:55
by Geoff Pearce
eric friend wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 23:09 Si, I must book a 'viewing appointment' with you so that I can come round and drool over your craftsmanship. You've certainly done a cracking job on those bulkheads.

My wife went to see my son last Saturday and while she was out I decided to reorganise my first floor model storage room (bedroom 4). I had about twenty models strewn on the landing and in her bedroom, (there's another thirty built models plus kits in the loft :lol: ), when unfortunately she returned earlier than expected :shock: . . . I'll leave you to guess her reaction.
No matter how good they are, they just don't understand!

Posted: 01 Apr 2018, 18:05
by Simon WS
Final lining up and gluing in of the wing joiner tube...

Then when cured, dismantled and all the remaining bulkheads glued in.

Started making the rudder, going to do the "over the top" double ball bearing supports like I did for the ASG29.

Lots of bits now curing in the dining room, wife being more than reasonable considering!...

Simon

Posted: 02 Apr 2018, 12:48
by terry white
Excellent work Simon.

I know it is a little way off yet, but have you thought about the power distribution to the 12 plus servo's you need to power?

Posted: 02 Apr 2018, 14:36
by Barry_Cole
Wire works for me......

:o :o :o :o

BC

Posted: 03 Apr 2018, 08:30
by Simon WS
terry white wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 12:48 Excellent work Simon.

I know it is a little way off yet, but have you thought about the power distribution to the 12 plus servo's you need to power?
I'm going to do it just like my ASG29 with two receivers and splitting functions to provide a degree of redundancy, each one powered by it's own large battery.

And yes, Barry, I intend to use wire to make those connections!

Si

Posted: 08 Apr 2018, 18:43
by Simon WS
Unfortunately I don't have many pictures but have done quite a bit of work - tailplane made and after much deliberation decided to put 2 slim servos in it rather than one in the fin - provides some redundancy in the event of failure and potentially makes rigging easier at the field by just needing to make the electrical connection.

Hope to get a bit more done tomorrow and I will try and remember to take photos!

Si

Posted: 08 Apr 2018, 22:44
by terry white
Love the mirror lite ply tail plane Simon, are you going to drive each servo separately through one of the two receivers? Ter.

Posted: 09 Apr 2018, 07:08
by Simon WS
terry white wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 22:44 Love the mirror lite ply tail plane Simon, are you going to drive each servo separately through one of the two receivers? Ter.
Two receivers Terry, two batteries

Simon

Posted: 10 Apr 2018, 16:13
by Simon WS
Tailplane servo tray trimmed in carbon for extra strength.

Cut a series of lite ply parts for lamination and gluing to underside of tailplane mounting

There was a bit of a mismatch between where the tailplane ends and the mounting/cut-out for the elevator movement, so I sandwiched a couple of layers of carbon with the ply laminations to extend the mount.

Ugly series of credit card guides and pegs!

Still it turned out OK after curing

And even better after rough trimming and filling with a bit of epoxy and microballoons

Posted: 13 Apr 2018, 11:10
by terry white
Hi Rob, I couldn't agree more.Its what a build thread is all about, and Simon does it so well. He shows us the problems he encounters and how he gets over them.
I also know modellers who have embarked on projects that they would not have even contemplated without the encouragement from Simon's build threads over the years. Ter.

Posted: 15 Apr 2018, 08:54
by Andrew Ray
Hi Simon, loving the build and the solutions you are coming up with, everything gets filed away in the old grey matter and usually is lost forever but just occasionally the information is found and put to good use, so inspirational.

And I just love to see these large sailplanes taking shape. I want one!

Posted: 17 Apr 2018, 08:41
by roo Hawkins
looking good si when do you expect to finish will it be this year??? . it is important that we post are builds as it is helpful to us all to learn . I am planing to build a 7 meter ash 31 later in the year so it was good to go over my dg 800 thread to see how I did it . we can learn a lot from are posts how to do and not to do . so keep up this great build. ROO :D

Posted: 17 Apr 2018, 10:45
by Simon WS
Thanks to everyone for your nice comments. I hope to finish it by late summer Roo but don't want to tempt fate! We've just had another family snafu which has delayed things a bit but hopefully I can get back on things soon.

Si

Posted: 22 Apr 2018, 17:43
by Simon WS
Managed to do a little (twice!) in between life getting in the way.

Decided the next step was to measure the longitudinal dihedral by cutting foam parts for the wings and tailplane to measure their relative angles of attack. As it stands I had 6 degrees so I obviously wanted to reduce that to about 1.5 degrees which means most of that work I did on the tailplane mount will have to be re-done. Originally I decided to take a bit of the 4.5 degrees reduction out of the wing mounting, so I set the incidence pins for that but then (schoolboy error) realised that the plane would fly with a constant tail down attitude, so I did them again to gain the right attitude. It does mean I will have to change the tail mount a lot!..

The way I set the various incidences is to use a digital inclinometer.

I set one wing at the angle I want and then paint a blob of colour on the end of the incidence pin and push it through to mark the wing root. Drill a hole and hey presto put the brass tube receiver on the end and glue it in (unless you change your mind and have to do it again (see above!).

Then I do the same thing for the other wing but drill the hole oversize so that when both wings are on I can stuff a load of thickened epoxy into the hole and set the second wing to the same inclination as the other.

Next job is to cut the wing and fuselage root profiles and fill in the gap!

Simon

Posted: 23 Apr 2018, 20:05
by GeeW
Simon
You may have this information
already?
DG800 incidence.JPG

It also looks like (to my eyes) that the tailplane should be further forward. The l/e of the tailplane is (at 1:1) 101 mm forwards of the top of the fins l/e

Regards

Gordon

Posted: 23 Apr 2018, 21:42
by Elliot Howells
Hi Simon,

not wishing to teach Granny to suck eggs, but I changed my tailplane incidence by packing it up with washers and smoothing p38 in - worked a treat and dries rock hard - almost a 5 minute fix too....

Ell.

Posted: 24 Apr 2018, 07:23
by Simon WS
Yes thanks Ell, that's my normal way of doing it too - however, there's rather a lot of change so I will probably take a bit off the back too.

Gordon - it looks that way to my eyes too so I need to look at the viability of moving the tailplane (I estimated where I set it from a very small 3 view from the manufacturer on the LET model site where it looks less). I guess at this scale it should stick out about 30mm and it's certainly not that - more like 10mm. It will be rather a pain to change so I'll have to think about it!...
However, I think the net 2.5 degrees horizontal inclination shown on the 1:1 document is too much for the sort of model I want - good rolling capability and inverted performance so 1.5 degrees is the max I would use.

Thanks for the feedback!

Simon

Posted: 24 Apr 2018, 18:52
by GeeW
Simon
Another option for you is that some DG800's have a larger rudder fitted, the larger rudder is wider in chord (1:1) by an extra 33 mm...all the 3 views I have seen including those in the full size manuals show the original rudder. The wider rudder was made available as an optional upgrade and many have had it retro-fitted.
Please see appended image for a few more possibly helpful dimensions!
Regards

Gordon
DG800 dims.jpg

Posted: 29 Apr 2018, 17:26
by Simon WS
Did some fairly major and brutal surgery to the existing wing roots with files and sanders so that I can re-construct them to the correct profile.

Laminated some ply and carbon so that I can make new wing and root ribs and then fair them into the fuselage.

Ribs glued onto the wings

Made up a piece of foam for the section where the wing electrical connections will go, so that I can easily remove it when the gap filling epoxy is added

When cured, assembled wing and made sure the new root rib was flush to the new wing rib and used thickened epoxy to fix in place.

Wing removed ready for filling gap with thickened epoxy - I did consider trying to do it in one go when the wing was attached but I had visions of glueing the wing joiner in permanently!

Then filled the gap in

I enjoyed doing this bit and it feels like I'm making some progress on one of the more difficult bits!

Posted: 29 Apr 2018, 17:41
by Barry_Cole
Just the tow release to go, then....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC

Posted: 29 Apr 2018, 21:51
by Jolly Roger
Neat work Simon. Lovin' the carbon-bling. :D

Posted: 04 May 2018, 16:06
by Simon WS
Thanks Roger, and Barry - I've told you!......

Anyway, a few baby steps forwards (and a few back) - I am doing a warts and all thread after all!

Glued the left hand wing root rib to fuselage as per other side - you can see that the trailing edge gap is much bigger but I'm hoping that when it's finished only I will be drawn to the discrepancy (and you lot now of course!)

After the same process of gap filling with thickened epoxy I added a trailing edge of carbon tows to make it a bit stronger and give something to sand back to.

Because I'm going to have to change the tailplane mount a lot I decided I had to file away the lovely curves of the original mount .

I will put another proper mount back with new fillets of epoxy/microballoons when I get the angle correct.

As Gordon pointed out, I had the tailplane position wrong - it only stuck out by 17mm when true scale would be 33mm. This is what it currently is at 17mm

This is scale at about 33mm - looks a lot to me but the rest of the tail dimensions are remarkably similar to fullsize so I guess I'd better go with it.

It does mean I'm going to have to add back quite a bit of wood to the already cut elevator though!

I swear this is more difficult than scratch building!!

Posted: 04 May 2018, 17:31
by GeeW
Feeling just a millitad of guilt at the moment for your "modifications". :oops:

Posted: 04 May 2018, 18:05
by Simon WS
Better now than when it would be too late!!

I confess I am slightly concerned about how much contact area I will now have between the tailplane and the fin with my servo cut outs - I might have to re-think that too!

Posted: 04 May 2018, 18:37
by Geoff Pearce
Simon WS wrote: 04 May 2018, 18:05 Better now than when it would be too late!!

I confess I am slightly concerned about how much contact area I will now have between the tailplane and the fin with my servo cut outs - I might have to re-think that too!
Hi Si, seems like a lot of thinking going on, don't forget the secret tow release :lol:

Posted: 04 May 2018, 18:54
by terry white
Hi Simon,I made my tailplane overhang at the front of the fin by 29mm.This mainly because it looked correct to the full size as apposed to the 33mm you are showing. Also the hinge line of the tail plane should line up with the apex of the fin-post- top which it does at this measurement. Terry.

Posted: 04 May 2018, 20:10
by Barry_Cole
terry white wrote: 04 May 2018, 18:54 Hi Simon,I made my tailplane overhang at the front of the fin by 29mm.This mainly because it looked correct to the full size as apposed to the 33mm you are showing. Also the hinge line of the tail plane should line up with the apex of the fin-post- top which it does at this measurement. Terry.
Basically what he is saying, is that you have done it all wrong, and you should do it again......

BC

Posted: 04 May 2018, 21:29
by catwok
I'm staying out of this.... mine is different again!

Posted: 05 May 2018, 09:45
by Geoff Pearce
catwok wrote: 04 May 2018, 21:29 I'm staying out of this.... mine is different again!
You are still on about the glider? I hope!

Posted: 09 May 2018, 18:17
by Simon WS
Thanks for the kind words Rob and practical advice Terry - 29mm it is!

Anyway as I've made a complete Horlicks of all that I thought I would move onto the wings - I spent a few hours sanding down one wing and breathing most of the saw dust in the process (I know it's not a good idea...). I got the trailing edges reasonably sharp thanks to Terry sandwiching some glass between the skins. I'm going to glass and paint the wings so I'm looking forward to glueing all the control surfaces back together with epoxy (not).

I made a metre long sanding tool to try and keep things straight and take any high points off, but also used a mouse sander and small hand sander quite extensively.

I couldn't face doing the other wing straight away so I made some carbon tip ribs - it's amazing how cutting and shaping carbon seems to cheer me up!

I added another brass tube to hold the wing tips on and kept them parallel while the glue cured.

Roughly shaped the wing tip - it looks huge but the 15m version does have large tips - and it must be accurate because I blew up the drawing 1,600% to get the shape!

Glue cured on mating carbon tip rib and I've had enough for today!

Posted: 10 May 2018, 00:46
by terry white
Hi Simon,
that carbon sure looks good. I did my tiplets in much the same way, turned them up at the very ends to make them into wortman type tips. Then glassed and painted rather than filmed. They've turned out good, and strong. I did the same on the wing extensions tips, which I know you are not going to use but I think they make the model look much sleeker in the air.
The sanding of the wings is a chore I agree. However remember there is 1.2mm thickness of veneer over thick glass cloth here so you can really go for it with the sanding block and fill both lungs with obechi dust for at least several days. :lol: Like you I used a mini vibro sander as well as the long block.

Providing you don't flood the hinge line un-necesarily you will have no trouble re-freeing the hinge, after all that was how it was made and freed in the first place, and the material is extremely strong. Its main use in mold making is to be applied to an unfinished piece at the end of the working day, then when the piece is cured and revisited the material can be ripped off thus leaving a roughened face to continue mold making without having to make a further bonding key. so one can see how strong this material needs to be. I just ran a dry tissue along the hinge line as a final job before leaving it to cure.

Hope to see you and your buddies at M.W. soon. Regards Terry.

Posted: 17 May 2018, 17:27
by Simon WS
Today I skinned one of the tips with balsa and then sanded it to shape. I wonder if I should be doing them both at the same time rather than sequentially? Anyway I've decided to complete one and then go back and do the other because I need a sense of completion.

Then made a sandwich of lite ply and two bits of hard balsa for the vertical tip, shaped it and glued on. Of course I discovered I didn't have enough balsa so I had to make a special trip to the model shop to get some - still it was a lovely day so a good excuse to go on my motorbike!

I have a thing about well fitting airbrakes so I'm going to torment myself by trying to get "moulded type" levels of fit! Built up the edges of the hole with filler so that I can get sharp corners - I can see all this ending in tears!

On reading back some of my posts I can see that I might have sounded a bit judgemental about fit - if it has come across that way I apologise - I am privileged to be working one of only three Purbeck DG800 prototypes and some of my comments are just reflecting the fact I want the result to be as good as possible.

Toodle Pip, and see some of you at Middle Wallop with my new best friend KA6!

Simon

Posted: 18 May 2018, 09:14
by John Vella
Simon, we had the Maughmer tips you are modelling on our fullsize DG800 . Just as a point of interest we found they were very good at low speed but above 70 kts the "plane" tips won out with less drag at high speed. Would you consider a second set for thrashing around and aeros ? Lovely model of a great glider. Regards John.

Posted: 18 May 2018, 16:39
by Simon WS
Thanks for the info John - you see that Terry fella is right again!!!

Posted: 18 May 2018, 19:51
by terry white
Coming on great Simon, you know when you've almost finished when you start on the tips!! :roll:

Can you tell the missus when you see her tomorrow that bit about me being right again!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Posted: 27 May 2018, 11:19
by Simon WS
Well I promised to tell this story "Warts and All" -- this posting is rather warty....

The good news is that I have now made both tips and sanded both wings to be pretty good (I think - when the paint goes on it will show up any imperfections).
The not so good news is on glassing the wings. My glassing experience is based on repairs and then building the ASG29. Doing that I used vacuum bagging direct onto foam cores using heavy weight cloth and it was pretty easy to keep control of the process, especially when using a slow hardener as you get a long time to position things. I was originally going to use some of the 200 g/m2 glass I have left over from the ASG but this would have added at least another Kg to the weight and from Paul's build this DG800 is already going to be fairly lardy so I decided to use 25g/m2 which has a very fine weave and conforms to compound curves very well.
Which is great if you want it to go round compound curves like on the tips but a nightmare (for me at least) if you want a precise straight edge butting up to each side of the live hinges. The glass moved around so much that it was very difficult to get the edge straight over 2.5 metres whilst not getting excess material and bumps elsewhere on the wings. Coupled with the warm temperatures recently and the time taken to try and get it right I felt like I was trying to defuse a bomb at times!
Anyway I did the bottom of one wing and then the control surfaces on the top surface using the normal sanding sealer followed by epoxy method and the surfaces are OK but I found it impossible to not get epoxy into the live hinge and trying to blot it out wasn't too successful so the live hinges are definitely a lot stiffer than the were before. I'll keep working them and hope that they free up a bit.

Here's that pesky cloth looking all innocent before the 45 minute drama to come!..

As I still had the other side of live hinge to glass on the 1st wing I decided to pull ahead the experiment I was going to try on the other wing - that is using G4 pond sealer instead of epoxy.

My conclusion having done one wing tip and the top surface of the 1st wing is that it is easier to use than epoxy. I thought I had read somewhere that brushes and utensils are water washable but that is not the case, you still need acetone. The working time is probably even a bit less than my slow curing epoxy but I think is is still nicer to use so will use it from now on on non structural glassing. The spray adhesive is useful/almost essential to be able to cut the glass in straight lines and stop it fraying, plus it helps to tack the glass to the surface.

Various bits of wing curing...

I hope it's all going to turn out OK without too much re-working but it hasn't been much fun so far!

Simon

Posted: 27 May 2018, 16:04
by SP250
Two nice classic Jap bikes there Simon - Kettle and CBX.
I am amazed at how often flying models (or full size) goes together with bikes for many people.

John M

Posted: 27 May 2018, 17:37
by Peter Balcombe
Simon,
Epoxy certainly isn’t water soluble.
I tend to use Meths to clean brushes etc., but I think Acetone should work too.
I tend to use low viscosity (runny) epoxy, applied with a 2” roller, but have never tried to glass up to a living hinge so far.

Posted: 27 May 2018, 18:14
by Simon WS
Peter Balcombe wrote: 27 May 2018, 17:37 Simon,
Epoxy certainly isn’t water soluble.
I tend to use Meths to clean brushes etc., but I think Acetone should work too.
I tend to use low viscosity (runny) epoxy, applied with a 2” roller, but have never tried to glass up to a living hinge so far.
Yes, I'm aware that epoxy resin isn't water soluble Peter having used about 20 gallons of the stuff on my ASG29! (I was referring to the G4 stuff I'm now using...) I also use very low viscosity epoxy from Easy Composites with slow rate hardener with a roller and I've never had problems before - it was a combo of the very light glass fabric/warm conditions/live hinges/planets aligning etc...

The G4 is definitely much easier to use on a number of levels - productivity is much higher because it cures in about 90 mins and is fully cured in about 4 hours. I've done the second wing now all in G4 and it is a vast improvement on the first half epoxy/half G4 one

I've noticed the same thing about common interests John. You will notice that the orientation of the Kettle (Suzuki GT750) changes in the photos - I've taken advantage of it just becoming MoT free and took it out for a spin!

Here's a quick garden fly - current weight 7.3 Kg

Simon

Posted: 28 May 2018, 16:33
by catwok
Lardy??? :o That's called built in inertia... looking Simon hope to see it flying before the end of the season (I'm still waiting for a good westerly)

Posted: 28 May 2018, 19:55
by Geoff Pearce
catwok wrote: 28 May 2018, 16:33 Lardy??? :o That's called built in inertia... looking Simon hope to see it flying before the end of the season (I'm still waiting for a good westerly)
Things don't change, still waiting for a good blow !

Posted: 28 May 2018, 20:19
by roo Hawkins
Looking good simon. It is making me think about wanting to maybe start a build myself. Especially after the Fox. Looking at your build may encourage me to start maybe? ??????????????????????.ROO :D

Posted: 30 May 2018, 12:47
by Simon WS
Thanks Joser. Using G4 is really simple. Just lay the dry lightweight cloth on the surface and then paint (or use a foam roller on large surfaces) the G4 on top. It will bleed through the cloth and stick it to the surface. When I did it I did apply sanding sealer and let it cure before the G4 to avoid it soaking into the balsa or obechi but I have heard of people doing it without that step - comments from others? If in doubt I think I would be inclined to do a test panel without sanding sealer, weighed before and after and see what the weight gain is.
When the G4 is cured I find the easiest way of trimming off the overhang is just to rub a bit of sandpaper on a block across it and it will neatly cut the excess off.

I think AEB has used G4 quite a bit - any comments John?

Simon

Posted: 30 May 2018, 13:59
by Peter Balcombe
Simon/Joser,
I agree with Simon in that it is a good idea to seal the balsa prior to adding any glass as this prevents a lot of epoxy soaking into the wood and adding weight.
I always apply my epoxy using a 2” foam roller as this is very straightforward with modern less viscous resins.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 08:29
by john greenfield
Peter Balcombe wrote: 30 May 2018, 13:59 Simon/Joser,
I agree with Simon in that it is a good idea to seal the balsa prior to adding any glass as this prevents a lot of epoxy soaking into the wood and adding weight.
I always apply my epoxy using a 2” foam roller as this is very straightforward with modern less viscous resins.
Peter
G4 is not epoxy and it is used very differently. Do not seal the wood first as it significantly reduces the bond of the cloth to the wood.
Lay the glass cloth onto the surface to be covered and smooth out with your hands so it is laying reasonably flat. Starting in the middle put a very small amount of G4 on the brush (dip it no more than 1/4" into the pot of G4) and start brushing very lightly whilst supporting the cloth from pulling with your other hand. Using very light strokes spread the G4 as far as it will go. Once the first couple of brushes of G4 have been laid down the cloth will be stuck to the surface sufficiently to avoid the need to support it from pulling with your hand. At this stage, all you are trying to do is get the minimum amount of G4 onto the model to hold the cloth down. Any wet or glossy areas mean you have put too much G4 on. You are not trying to fill the weave at this stage and an excess of G4 will cause the cloth to float off the surface and run the risk of sanding through it later. Using a roller will put too much G4 onto the surface and just add weight.
Once the whole surface has been covered let dry (45 to 90 mins) and then trim the edges with 320 grit wet and dry used dry. This will feather the edge to nothing. Repeat the process for the other side of the part you are covering.
Once dry and trimmed brush another LIGHT coat onto the surface spreading the G4 as far as it will go. Depending on the openness of the weave of the glass cloth this may be all you need before painting but if the weave is still a bit open apply a third LIGHT coat.
Final flatting down before applying paint should be done within 2 to 3 days of applying the G4 as after that it is very hard to sand.
In short, think of putting G4 on as more like painting, and not applying epoxy.

AEB

Posted: 31 May 2018, 08:38
by Peter Balcombe
My apologies John.
I’ve not actually used G4 before.
Peter

Posted: 31 May 2018, 11:45
by roo Hawkins
Hi simon how much g4 are you using and what weight cloth are you using. Just wondering how far it goes may have to use it myself. Roo

Posted: 31 May 2018, 15:38
by Simon WS
I used 25g cloth Roo and although I didn't do it like John suggests (because I had already treated the surfaces with sanding sealer) it went on beautifully anyway (and much easier than epoxy). I only bought a 500g tin of G4 but I have done 3 x 2.5m wing surfaces already and there will be enough to do the tailplane (without sanding sealer this time!).
I bought the G4 from eBay and the 500g was only £12.49 delivered - but in retrospect I should have got the 1Kg tin of G4 for only another £5. It is very cost effective, even though I have done it "wrong"!

Simon

Posted: 31 May 2018, 17:22
by terry white
Not wrong Simon,just different. :roll:

Posted: 01 Jun 2018, 08:08
by john greenfield
Roo.. and others thinking of trying G4.

Please remember that G4 eats foam so make sure that any foam parts are completely protected. Covering sheeted foam wings is fine but not "raw" foam.

AEB

Posted: 01 Jun 2018, 08:14
by roo Hawkins
Hi John I was only thinking of sheeted wings

Posted: 01 Jun 2018, 11:00
by terry white
Simon, just a thought, as John says that G4 becomes unsandable after a couple of days would it not be better to ease the living hinge sooner rather than later? :roll:

Posted: 03 Jun 2018, 12:15
by Simon WS
Fear not Terry - living hinge already eased!..

I've decided to fit the servos in the wings, then finish them so that at least one part is done. First job is to remove the foam. i like to rebate it slightly from the wing surface so that I can then line it. A Dremmel sanding drum is very handy for the job and makes it easy.

Now, what to line the servo wells with - obvious answer really!..

I'm feeling horny! Control surface horns that is....
Staring at the roof of my workshop at the only bit remaining of my 40% ASG gave me the idea of digging out the old carbon control surface horns and re-cycling them.

Cutting the slot into the obechi and glass into the foam for the control horn was hard work with a (new) scalpel - so I tried an end boring tool in the trusty Dremmel and it was quick and easy

Control horn epoxied in - obviously the geometry is all wrong so I'll build an angled servo box and reduce the length of the servo horn so that I get maximum torque for the throws required. Although not really necessary with computer radios I also angled the servo horn forward slightly to get some natural differential.

This length horn was more than enough

Angled servo box built up from scrap wood and ready to glue in

All done, just 7 more to do...

Simon

Posted: 08 Jun 2018, 17:53
by Simon WS
Six out of seven wing servos fitted and one wing fully wired with D-sub connectors (once again I managed to do a little re-cycling using the ASG29 sub looms).

Just one more wing servo to install tomorrow and then complete the wiring on that wing and then - painting!

Simon

Posted: 08 Jun 2018, 20:26
by Barry_Cole
That could just look that way, due to the taper due to the wing section.???

BC

Posted: 08 Jun 2018, 22:01
by Simon WS
Actually I did the reverse of that Rob - I built tapered mounts that were higher at the front so that they followed the outer surface of the the wing. The photo where it looks the other way round is before I built the taper and as Barry says is what it would look like if I hadn't raised the forward edge. The only reason I did it really was that I'm using fairly short horns so that I can use small servo covers and without raising the front edge it looked like the control arm would foul the rear of the servo cut out.

This is what it looks like after the tapered mount is glued in with the shorter horn etc.

Edit: Second wing finished so a quick garden fly to check control surfaces all go the right way (I have a certain history of maidens with the ailerons reversed!!)

Simon

Posted: 10 Jun 2018, 11:39
by Simon WS
Thought I would try to paint one wing today...

I removed the control linkages and made up some thin wire dummy ones to hold the control surfaces 80% "down" so that I didn't fill the V slot with paint. Masked up servos and root and tip ribs (don't want to lose that carbon look!)

My next tip is "there is nothing like being prepared" and I was NOTHING like being prepared!! I discovered when I started mixing the paint that I had hardly any left so I will have to order more before I can go much further.
Lots of nasty 2K chemicals!

Still I got a bit of paint on one wing which at least will show me which areas need more work. I find that until you get some primer on it is very difficult to tell how good (or bad!) the surface is.

Can't do any more until new supplies arrive so I might move onto the tailplane (or better still go slope soaring!)

Simon

Posted: 10 Jun 2018, 18:17
by terry white
That looks really good Simon,The dogs dangallies as they say in Whitehall. A lot of work but without doubt you can't beat a glassed and two pack finish.

You are fast catching me up now and will probably overtake me by the finish.

Are you and Eric going to this months M.W. and has Eric replaced his canopy yet? Terry.

Posted: 12 Jun 2018, 22:42
by eric friend
Looking great Si!
I have to attend a wedding in Sussex this weekend so it's no flying for me!

Posted: 14 Jun 2018, 19:23
by catwok
Looks really pretty good Simon, almost like a proper vinyl finish :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have run out if excuses for the maiden and with a 20mph westerly this weekend Mr Cocker has bullied me to go up the Mynd!

Posted: 14 Jun 2018, 20:52
by terry white
Paul,all the best with the maiden, I cant wait for your report on how it went ,Keep that camera rolling. Ter.

Posted: 15 Jun 2018, 07:19
by Simon WS
Yes best of luck Paul - wish I could be there but it's a bit far to pop up!
I have to say, vinyl is sounding a really good idea about now!

Simon

Posted: 16 Jun 2018, 22:21
by Geoff Pearce
Simon WS wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 07:19 Yes best of luck Paul - wish I could be there but it's a bit far to pop up!
I have to say, vinyl is sounding a really good idea about now!

Simon
Hi Simon, vinyl is good been using it for years, very strong
I apply it at 90degs to serface

Posted: 26 Jun 2018, 17:55
by Simon WS
There's been a bit of a gap for a good reason...

Tip #12 for total idiots (me) - don't use old hardener in 2K paint "just because you have it in stock"

I honestly thought this might be the end of this build because the top coat wouldn't cure and remained too tacky to handle after a week.

Looks nice, but it was never going to cure so I faced the choice of scrapping the whole project or trying to scrape the old sticky paint off - or try something imaginative. I spoke to the Brain Trust of Chris Williams, Terry White and Paul and decided to try just spraying a coat of new neat hardener over the paint. It has (sort of) worked - the top coat has cured but I suspect it has just cured the outer layer as when I tried to flat it back and spray a new top coat over it I got a bit of a wrinkly reaction. Anyway, I'm going to let it go, finish the build and then perhaps at a later date try and re-finish that wing.

Desperately trying to cure in the sun!

I completed the other wing and it went without drama with the new hardener and looks nice (but rather shows the other up). I think I have achieved that fully moulded look on one wing at least!

Garden shots to cheer me up a bit!

Onto the tailplane next...

Simon

Posted: 28 Jun 2018, 18:08
by Paul W
Looks good from here Simon... keep going!

Posted: 29 Jun 2018, 22:02
by eric friend
I saw the wings today and they look great . . . and the wingtips are beautifully crafted - well done Si !

Posted: 02 Jul 2018, 17:43
by Simon WS
Thanks for the praise chaps, but I'm not sure it's justified as I will have to re-do the non cured wing at some point - it still marks easily and doesn't have that lovely resilient 2K finish that the other one does. Still, I will fly it before I face that task!

I covered the tailplane with my new best friend polyurethane G4 and light glass cloth which only added 20 grams. Then I fitted the tail servos using ply blocks and screws so that they are easy to remove if necessary. It's a very short distance between the servo horns and where the elevator horns will be so I can't use clevises on both ends so it'll be one clevis and one Z bend per side. All the connections checked and working - I'll be using MPX connectors so that the electrics are connected when the tailplane is mounted.

Then I cut deep channels in the elevator and epoxied in the custom epoxy board elevator horns - I've made them quite "long" so that I can use the servo's full movement but not get ridiculous elevator throws.

Then I cut the tailplane around the centre so that I get two fully independent elevators, each with their own receiver and battery. Thankfully I've never had to check to see if elevator redundancy would actually work if one did stick open but I imagine it would be quite a challenge!

Then I cut out the tailplane mounting plate from the top of the fin because the longitudinal dihedral was wrong and the tailplane was too far back (doh!). I added some carbon so I can build the strength back into the fin and mount.

I'll keep plugging away and hope to fly it before the end of the summer. Hey Terry and Paul - fancy a 3 way maiden? (I'm not sure that sounds OK in retrospect!)

Simon

Posted: 02 Jul 2018, 17:56
by Barry_Cole
one clevis and one Z bend

No, surely not.....

But this I like:-

I've made them quite "long" so that I can use the servo's full movement but not get ridiculous elevator throws.

BC

Posted: 02 Jul 2018, 19:23
by terry white
Hi Simon, I like the idea of a three way maiden.But if mine should not be ready ,I also like to watch!! :P :P :P

Posted: 03 Jul 2018, 09:01
by john greenfield
Barry_Cole wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 17:56 one clevis and one Z bend

No, surely not.....

But this I like:-

I've made them quite "long" so that I can use the servo's full movement but not get ridiculous elevator throws.

BC
Barry

Nothing wrong with a properly formed "Z" bend but a neater option is to use a stainless steel bike spoke. Use the end that has the return that goes into the bike hub through the servo arm and then cut the spoke to length and thread the other end with a 2mm die.

AEB

Posted: 03 Jul 2018, 12:03
by Simon WS
john greenfield wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 09:01
Nothing wrong with a properly formed "Z" bend but a neater option is to use a stainless steel bike spoke. Use the end that has the return that goes into the bike hub through the servo arm and then cut the spoke to length and thread the other end with a 2mm die.

AEB
Great idea, thanks John. I have got a proper tool for creating the Z bend and it doesn't appear to have generated any slop in the linkage so I'm happy with it but prefer your neater idea.

I can never decide if Barry's comments are serious or not?!...

Simon

Posted: 03 Jul 2018, 14:13
by Barry_Cole
Mostly serious. I personally would only use a Z bend of a light foamy, but that is just me I guess.

Using ALL the servo movement is something that I have been championing for years.
Better control, more power, all good.

BC

Posted: 04 Jul 2018, 07:53
by john greenfield
Simon WS wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 12:03
john greenfield wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 09:01

AEB
Great idea, thanks John. I have got a proper tool for creating the Z bend and it doesn't appear to have generated any slop in the linkage so I'm happy with it but prefer your neater idea.

I can never decide if Barry's comments are serious or not?!...

Simon
Simon
The advantage of using the bike spoke over a "modelling "pushrod is that the stainless bike spoke is much stiffer than the metal used for pushrods you can get from modelling sources. It is also a slightly bigger dia which also helps.
I know your linkages are very short but stiffer pushrods are always best.

As to the question of Barry being serious or not ....... I think it depends on which medication he is on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AEB

Posted: 04 Jul 2018, 13:11
by Barry_Cole
As to the question of Barry being serious or not ....... I think it depends on which medication he is on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How true.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC

Posted: 04 Jul 2018, 16:45
by chris williams
I believe they're thinking of legalising it... ;)

Posted: 04 Jul 2018, 19:24
by Barry_Cole
I do hope not, that will take all the fun out of it.....

:o :o :o :o

BC

Posted: 04 Jul 2018, 21:02
by FrankS
chris williams wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 16:45 I believe they're thinking of legalising it... ;)
I never realised Sanatogen wasn't legal........

Posted: 14 Jul 2018, 17:22
by Simon WS
Catching up with the last few days work - getting closer!...

Cut out old fin base and laminated a new one, glued back in with correct (ish) longitudinal dihedral

I had a light tailwheel in stock but it was too big so I thought I'd have a go at sanding it down.

Worked well..

And now fits..

I spent literally days looking for the rudder pivots I'd made using bearing races - I knew I had put them somewhere "safe" but they weren't anywhere logical (eventually found them in a small plastic bag in a cardboard box containing epoxy mixing sticks (of course it was SOO obvious I would have put them there!! (impending senility). that enabled me to make up a rudder post.

Stuck an old servo horn onto the rudder for the pull/pull system.

Rudder post glued in aligning fin with a plumb bob (having got the wing tips perfectly horizontal)

Main wing incidence checked prior to setting the tailplane mount (carbon of course!) at zero degrees

Posted: 14 Jul 2018, 23:10
by terry white
Thats looking really good Simon,very professional as always. Ter

Posted: 15 Jul 2018, 09:15
by Geoff Pearce
Getting there Simon , looking good .

Posted: 23 Jul 2018, 16:52
by Simon WS
Tailplane mount set to zero with wing 1.5 degrees positive.

Mount trimmed and a fillet of epoxy and microballoons added underneath to fare it into the fin.

Onto the canopy frame - I wanted to add some pink foam infills and then carbon tows over the top to make it stiffer and have more sunstance.

After the glue dried, trimmed the pink foam to be flush with the frame.

Same with the rest until filled. Quite therapeutic this process for some reason!

Measured out several miles of carbon tows between two nails (the way I did the spar caps on the ASG - that was over 300m of tows from memory!).
Then wetted them out with epoxy and laid them round the frame

When cured I glued and and then added carbon over an aluminium box section for the front hinge mount (can't actually see it properly from this angle.

It is quite tricky to get a scale like front hinge because there is so little room, but I have a plan and hopefully the hinge will work and the box section will also allow the canopy to be removed completely.

Finally, check everything still fits!

Incidentally, I covered the fuselage with clear tape when I was laying in the carbon and getting the fuz to canopy frame fit right and it worked in the sense that they didn't glue themselves together but getting the tape residue off the fuz was a nightmare and used gallons of acetone/thinners! When I do the final gluing of the frame to canopy itself I think I'll use cling film - it will stick to the glue side but at least I won't have a massive clear up operation!

Simon

Posted: 23 Jul 2018, 18:34
by terry white
Simon, you are putting my canopy frame to shame, :o
What will you stick the canopy to the frame with? I normally use canopy glue by 'Deluxe' but there is a lip of the canopy 'glass' under the frame which slightly concerns me. Ter.

Posted: 23 Jul 2018, 22:19
by Simon WS
I've used canopy glue in the past too Terry but I have found it a bit too thin and unable to fill inevitable gaps so I'm now using some mastic type stuff (I can't remember the name of it without looking in the workshop tomorrow, but it's something like "Evostik Glues Anything"

I'll come back with the answer...

The downside is it is quite expensive and you get enough to do about 50 canopies in the one tube!

Si

Posted: 27 Jul 2018, 10:00
by eric friend
Si,
Regarding the removal of the adhesive tape residue, didn't the 'Sticky Stuff Remover' work for you.
I always find it works very well on all types of adhesive, even old hardened residue, on a variety of surfaces and it doesn't require much to be used to completely clean the surface.
Eric

Posted: 27 Jul 2018, 21:24
by Simon WS
Believe me Eric I tried everything including sticky stuff remover - the only thing that would touch it was industrial strength (literally) acetone and even that took a number of passes!..

Posted: 27 Jul 2018, 22:06
by roo Hawkins
nice canopy frame simon . a glue I use for canopy's is uhu it is clear and you can get it from some pound shops.

Posted: 28 Jul 2018, 10:51
by Simon WS
Argh I don't believe it - my perfectly fitting canopy frame now doesn't fit since the weather cooled down! Amazingly, the change in temperature is causing differential expansion and making the frame bend away from the front and back - I can even reproduce the problem by heating it up and it then curves back to fit properly. Anyway I'm completely pissed off and will just leave the whole thing for a few days and go flying instead. I'm hoping that if I hold it in the correct position when I glue the clear canopy on it will be enough to hold it in place...

Simon

Posted: 28 Jul 2018, 12:30
by terry white
Hi Simon,
What a struggle you are having, unbelievable, However it may be a blessing in disguise because you can now do something about it which would be difficult later on
Some years ago our good friend Phil Hoegar had a i/3 scale DG600 which in those days I was able to launch for him. :roll: His canopy would also expand if he left the model in the sun. Lets face it, it is a very large canopy with some length of frame needing to expand.His did not bow quite as yours has done, but bowed outward from the fus leaving quite a gap from its original fit to the fus. Knowing this I molded three locating pegs on to the frame which locate it to the inside of the fus lip.

In the dark 'ol' days of my early life I was for several years a domestic heating engineer. I hated it. This had nothing to do with aeromodelling but it did teach me that you cannot stop materials expanding when heated only allow for it and compensate accordingly. Now that you have found this trouble I think that I might take a little material off of the 'ends' of the frame to allow it to expand naturally without being hindered by the cockpit cutaway. Any gap created which will be quite small I will make up with black medium strength rubber.This will give me an expansion route for the canopy frame. The clear bubble canopy itself should not expand to the same amount as the black carbon fiber frame. Also this can expand in all directions unlike the frame held at both ends. What do you think?

Regards Ter

Posted: 07 Aug 2018, 18:10
by Simon WS
Warm weather has made the frame fit perfectly now, so onwards and upwards!

One of the things I really wanted to make was a scale type canopy hinge but it is seriously difficult because the there is so little room in the nose.
I decided it might be sensible to make the hinge mount in 2 pieces and as I don't have milling equipment I had to make it in a Heath-Robinson style by cutting up bits of aluminium box section. I ended up with this - which JUST fits into the nose.

The next much more difficult bit was to get the geometry of the mounting arm correct - it took lots of iterations! This photo also shows the two piece mount separated.

Then I cobbled up some trial mounting points for the gas strut - I wanted to make it have positive closing force but then obviously positive force to open the canopy when moved past the closed position - not difficult by playing around with the geometry until it's right.

Clearly I wanted the final part to look nicer than that and be strong so I laminated up 3 sheets of 200 g/m2 carbon cloth and pressed them between 2 flat surfaces.

To make a nice strong glossy carbon sheet to cut the parts from

Then I cut the parts and ran lots of carbon tows around the carbon sides and brass pivot tube.

All installed and it actually works! Only time will tell the longevity and it is a devil of a job to screw the two hinge mount parts together (one is obviously glued into the nose). Therefore I hope that I'll never have to separate them again...

Next I'll need to start spraying some parts - particularly the frame so that I can mount the canopy glass to it.

Getting there slowly...

Simon

Posted: 07 Aug 2018, 19:15
by Barry_Cole
Simon,
Make sure that however you are going to store the glider. (It will spend most of it's life there), that the gas strut has the rod at the bottom. They have oil in them to keep the seal lubricated and help stop the gas leaking out.

BC

Posted: 08 Aug 2018, 10:03
by Paul W
Lovely work Simon! Keep going......

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 16:34
by Simon WS
Put strips of cling film around canopy frame before gluing - just as well I did as it definitely would have stuck!

This is the glue I'm using - I believe all advertising and it says it "Stix All" so it must be good right? (it does actually seem very good..)

Glue applied to canopy frame and canopy carefully put into position. I find putting little making tape "handles" helps to pull it apart and lift it minimising glue smear.

After glue set - voila - Huzzah it fits well and closes easily!

Meanwhile, tailplane, rudder and airbrake caps primed and painted - just the fuselage and wing servo covers left to paint now...

Si

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 17:57
by terry white
Simon, Not just a good job;but a super job. That canopy fit is awesome. This is going to be one superb DG800.
Cant wait to see it in the flesh. Ter.

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 18:05
by chris williams
There's nothing quite so satisfying as canopy that fits...! (So they tell me)

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 18:35
by John Vella
chris williams wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 18:05 There's nothing quite so satisfying as canopy that fits...! (So they tell me)
Simon, superb work. We used to have a struggle with the fit of our full size DG canopy. It was a right b****r to close, especially when warm.
Regards John.

Posted: 12 Aug 2018, 07:42
by john greenfield
So, how was the canopy glue ?
Has it created a good bond and did it dry clear ?
Please do tell.

AEB

Posted: 12 Aug 2018, 09:43
by Simon WS
Yes it was really good John. It dries clear and remains a bit flexible and fills gaps well. I'm just hoping it doesn't contain any silicon which I guess I will find out when I paint the surround. Obviously I'll clean it with pre-paint but silicon is very difficult to get rid of in my experience and paint really doesn't like it!

Simon

Posted: 12 Aug 2018, 16:58
by Simon WS
I wasn't sure whether to post tonight before the epoxy sets or (hopefully) do a big reveal when this next step worked - there is a chance that it will go wrong and I'll have glued everything together but I thought you may as well "enjoy" the tension with me!...

I wanted to add a step in the seat sort of like full size but when I made the seat bucket last time (now in Paul's DG800) I made it exactly to scale with the pilot virtually sitting on the bottom of the fuselage but when I did that the third scale pilot looked lost so I had to modify it.
This time I thought I might as use the shallow seat bucket that I cut out of the canopy surround and lengthen and deepen it - hence the plywood stand offs to get the height I want (and leave handy room for batteries and the 5 Kg of nose weight it looks like it'll need!)..

Hours of thinking about it came up with this simple solution - I cut out a beer carton the same shape as the fuselage opening, covered it in tape to stop glass/epoxy sticking to it, made "sides" the same way and thus formed a simple mould on which to lay glass.

This is what it looks like from above

Then I made little balsa "fences" that the new moulding can sit against when assembled.

A few layers of glass added around the seat tub and the fences and then strips of myler inserted between the two to HOPEFULLY stop them sticking together.

All will be revealed tomorrow!

Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 08:25
by john greenfield
Well....... what happened !!!!?????

AEB

Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 08:30
by Barry_Cole
john greenfield wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 08:25 Well....... what happened !!!!?????

AEB
Patience, little ghostie.......

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC

Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 12:06
by Simon WS
Phew, all is well!

The two glassed surfaces (the fence along the fuselage and the seat tub sides) released perfectly from the mylar between them. The sellotape covered carboard was a bit more sticky but also came off without any damage!

Then I trimmed the fences and tube sides and did a quick check with Mr Pilot - all is well...

A bit of finishing and painting to do and then onto the instrument binnacle.

Simon

Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 17:29
by mick a
looks great simon
skilled work

Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 18:46
by Andrew Ray
Amazing job Simon. Is it just the over centre pressure from the gas strut that keeps the canopy closed?

Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 19:04
by Barry_Cole
Simon,
You are my new hero.....

BC

Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 21:14
by Simon WS
You're all very kind!
Yes Andrew. I roughly worked out from the geometry of my hinge that when it was closed the gas strut would be facing below a direct line drawn from the strut base to the canopy hinge but that when it started opening it would be on the other side and therefore start creating a positive opening force.
The mock up hinge I showed earlier in wood allowed me to confirm it would (with various different hinge strut mounting points) and finalise the design.

I'm not relying on the gas strut to keep the canopy closed by the way, I also have a conventional sliding canopy locking mechanism (which admittedly begs the question on why I did it anyway!)

It was a right pain in the proverbial doing it but I'm kind of glad I did anyway!

Simon

Posted: 15 Aug 2018, 21:26
by catwok
Looks a bit special Si! Would be really good to see all 3 flying this year....
20180802_080355.jpg
20180802_080355.jpg
TERRY, get your finger out!

Posted: 20 Aug 2018, 10:25
by Robert Welford
Simon,

Good progress :-)

BTW a friend at Cambridge Gliding Club has just bought a full-size DG 800S (G-CJJH). If you want pictures rather than model it on a Swiss glider let me know.

Regards,

Robert (ASG29 W8)

Posted: 20 Aug 2018, 10:31
by Robert Welford
G-CJJH 1.jpg
G-CJJH 2.jpg

Posted: 20 Aug 2018, 13:15
by Simon WS
Thanks Robert - I think I will as I modelled my ASG29 on your full size!...

Simon

Posted: 20 Aug 2018, 17:26
by Robert Welford
Hi Simon,

It appears that G-CJJH is the only DG 800S in the UK. The others are 800A's or B's, or 808's and are either turbos or self-launchers.
The DG 800S used the DG600 fuselage and the engined versions use a fatter fuselage. I believe the Purbeck 1/3 fuselage corresponds to the DG600/DG800S. Is that correct Terry?

BTW if you want any detailed photos and/or measurements let me know.

Robert.

Posted: 20 Aug 2018, 23:36
by terry white
Hi Robert, You are quite correct the Purbeck DG was modeled on the DG 800s and you are also correct in that it shares the same fus as the 600. I am watching Simon's intended livery with interest. Ter.

Posted: 21 Aug 2018, 20:31
by GeeW
Some DG800's were supplied as gliders and later retrofitted (or not) with Turbo/Self launchers, these have the fatter fuz. SO it is never plain (no pun intended) or simple.
Oh and then they changed the rudders..........

The one I look after was supplied and flown as a glider for about 4 years before having that big hole cut in the rear fuz and the stinky lump inserted.

Gordon

Posted: 24 Aug 2018, 10:52
by Robert Welford
Gee,

If they were retrofitted with engines then they were manufactured as turbos/self-launchers, but with no engines fitted and without any doors cut out. Hence they had the fatter fuselage.

My ASG 29 is a 29(E) which means it is built as a turbo, but without an engine. The fuselage is the same. In the ASG 29 case the doors are fitted - all that's missing is the engine hardware.

Robert.

Posted: 26 Aug 2018, 09:52
by Simon WS
I've had car stuff to do, so not a great deal of progress, but I thought it might be fun to experiment making a headrest and stretch some vinyl over it to look like leather...

First cut out the headrest shape from pink foam.

Then stretched some vinyl over it - without heat it looks like there is no way it would stretch enough but it's amazing how stretchy and floppy it goes with just a hairdryer.

The back is a mess, but I just cut it off and stuck the edges with CA.

Now onto the instrument binnacle - for the second time (Paul has my first effort). First I cut out the face from epoxy board - I'll cut the holes for the instrument later. Rather than hot wire cut the binnacle sides, this time I just cut out rough blanks on the bandsaw.

Looks about right - it's always going to be semi-scale because the seat shape/floor is much flatter than the full size and requires less contortion by the pilot!

That's it for today - I'm off flying before it rains!

Simon

Posted: 28 Aug 2018, 10:42
by roo Hawkins
Well done Paul on the first flight of a purbeck dg 800 on the long mynd on monday.the first of 3 .I have posted a video but not a good one in the video section of this forum.
20180827_124449.jpg
20180827_125704.jpg
20180827_124449.jpg
Well done Paul. Roo

Posted: 30 Aug 2018, 07:27
by roo Hawkins
Pauls dg

Posted: 30 Aug 2018, 11:12
by Simon WS
Thanks Roo. Rather a grey day!
Congratulations Paul - one down two to go (as it were!)

Si

Posted: 01 Sep 2018, 09:27
by Simon WS
Another small step towards completion...

Taped and glued some sides made from balsa to the binnacle so that the instrument panel itself would be recessed in the final part.

Then a quick strip of glass around them to form a support prior to adding the rest of the glass.

Then and bit of filling and painting.

I'm not even attempting an "Antonia Level" of scale detail, but having said that, I might make some pedals so that the pilot has somewhere to put his feet...

Simon

Posted: 01 Sep 2018, 20:25
by terry white
Beautiful work again Simon, not far off now. Ter.

Posted: 01 Sep 2018, 22:32
by Antonia
Aww... go on Simon, you know you want too!..... :lol: :lol:
Brilliant work though, really looking forward to see your 800 in the flesh.

Posted: 02 Sep 2018, 06:32
by Simon WS
Antonia wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 22:32 Aww... go on Simon, you know you want too!..... :lol: :lol:
Brilliant work though, really looking forward to see your 800 in the flesh.
Are you coming to a slope then Antonia? (just to wind Barry up!)

Thanks all...

Si

Posted: 19 Sep 2018, 19:31
by Simon WS
I've been severely lacking in motivation, but despite that I have actually been working hard on filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling.....(you get the picture!). I didn't actually add up all the hours but I would guess it might be as many as 20 - and I'm still not really satisfied with it, but the fuselage is "done"

I also added the rudder pivot bar which I will (one day) add the rudder pedals to - almost certainly not before it's made it's first flight because right now I just want to get it into the air. Having said that, the one wing with non cured paint is pretty bad now so I think my pride won't allow me to let it be seen in public so I may re-do that before the maiden...

List of things to do:-
1. Re-do one wing
2. Add rudder pull pull control system
3. Paint wing servo covers
4. Mask & paint canopy outline
5. Calculate and add about 10Kg of nose weight (well, slight exaggeration, but it's going to be a lot!)
6. Sit down in a darkened room and decide if I wanna fly it!

Simon

Posted: 19 Sep 2018, 19:36
by Peter Balcombe
Looks very nice Simon.
I’m sure we all want to see it take to the air :D

Posted: 20 Sep 2018, 11:55
by Simon WS
Thanks Peter.

Fuselage cured enough to handle so tried a quick wing fit...

Posted: 20 Sep 2018, 20:17
by terry white
Nice very nice ;)

Posted: 23 Sep 2018, 16:15
by Simon WS
One of those jobs I don't like much - masking up and spraying the canopy outline. I discovered I had some Sikkens Plastoflex paint which is specially made for priming plastics (car bumpers mainly) so used that prior to top coat.

Looks so much nicer now...

Paul very kindly made me some servo covers, so I primed and painted those too and then fitted them today.

Finally with gritted teeth I sanded most of the non cured paint off the top of the wing with the problem and sprayed several new layers of 2K primer. I hope it has worked but it remains to be seen if the composite finish will be durable. Still it should look better than the pock marked surface did when I spray a new top coat on it tomorrow.

Getting there...

Si

Posted: 23 Sep 2018, 17:39
by Peter Balcombe
Lovely Simon.
I look forward to seeing it in action.

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 15:43
by Simon WS
Re-painting of top surface of bad wing seems to have worked, which is nice :-)

Installed the pull-pull rudder mechanism (sorry terrible photos to follow due to sun/shadows/awful photographer!)

We have a rudder!

Tailplane on and we have all control surfaces working

Nothing like as big as my ASG29, but still quite large!

Talking of large, it is quite lardy - currently 12 Kg but lord knows how much lead it'll need in the nose?...
I will ask Terry and Paul where I should set the cg and then start ordering tons of lead shot.

Nearly there....

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 17:01
by roo Hawkins
Looking good simon. My 1/3 scale dg800 works out at just over 14kg and I put about 2kg of lead in it .

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 18:05
by Simon WS
I think Paul said his was about 14.5 Kg so hopefully I'll be in the ballpark with you guys if I don't have to put too much nose weight in.

Simon

Posted: 27 Sep 2018, 18:09
by terry white
Hi Simon,
Rick and I always envisaged that the DG 800 would perform at its best at around 15kg plus on the slope, in a medium blow due to the wing plan form giving it a large amount of wing area. (Check it out from the pic by your fence). So I would say you are smack on track pre nose weight at around 12kg + It May even need ballast on the C.G.later (knowing how you would like it to perform :roll:) . Both Paul and I fly with 1klg of ballast placed on the C.G.of our Salto's to get them to penetrate through the aerobatic maneuvers.

It appeared to me (after watching Paul's vid over and over again) that after racing across the slope when it was turned into wind lost too much of its momentum.
This is not a criticism by any means, It was after all the models maiden flight and Paul has yet to get used to its handling. Simon C told me they both were flying it with a considerable amount of up elevator the whole time because of a too forward C.G.which I am sure had a lot to do with it. However from the discussions I have had with Paul and Simon together with the short video they produced it seemed to show that more weight could easily be carried with no ill effect.

Your model looks just stunning Si. Please invite me to the maiden,Regards Terry

P.S. I just new you would strip and respray that wing,I just new it, wish I had,had a bet on it. :lol:

P.P.S. Simon Cocker will be writing about the said maiden flight in the next issue of R.C.M.E.

Posted: 28 Sep 2018, 10:31
by Simon WS
Thanks Terry. Sure I'll invite you to the maiden but it's a long way for you and would probably be at short notice due to wind conditions etc.

Should I be aiming at balancing her on the joiner as a starting point? I need to work out how much lead I need to order...

Si

Posted: 28 Sep 2018, 12:56
by terry white
Yes Simon, we placed the wing joiner where we expected the C.G. to come.Which on that chosen section was also at the maximum wing thickness. This allowed us to get the correct dihedral to the wings with a straight joiner bar.
I discussed this with Paul when he started balancing his and as we've noted it was a little nose heavy. Whether he added a little extra weight to be sure that it was not going to be tail heavy Im not sure.We will have to wait until he gets back from Vegas I suppose.(If he ever comes back that is,he said that when he has his substantial win he is going to settle in Beverly Hills. Paul the new Beverly Hillbilly. said he was going to fly from the Hollywood sign. :lol: :lol:) Ter.

Posted: 28 Sep 2018, 17:30
by Geoff Pearce
Simon WS wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 10:31 Thanks Terry. Sure I'll invite you to the maiden but it's a long way for you and would probably be at short notice due to wind conditions etc.

Should I be aiming at balancing her on the joiner as a starting point? I need to work out how much lead I need to order...

Si
Hi Si , I've got a shed load ,let me know how much you might need and I'll take it to Wallop if you can get it back

Posted: 28 Sep 2018, 21:37
by Simon WS
That's very kind Geoff but I have ordered it from eBay now...

Simon

Posted: 29 Sep 2018, 09:03
by john greenfield
Hi Si , I've got a shed load ,let me know how much you might need and I'll take it to Wallop if you can get it back
[/quote]

Hi Geoff

If you have some spare I would like some. I always seem to be looking for lead in my kit to put in peoples planes when I test fly them and I am sure my next model will need some.

AEB

Posted: 29 Sep 2018, 10:31
by Geoff Pearce
john greenfield wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 09:03 Hi Si , I've got a shed load ,let me know how much you might need and I'll take it to Wallop if you can get it back
Hi Geoff

If you have some spare I would like some. I always seem to be looking for lead in my kit to put in peoples planes when I test fly them and I am sure my next model will need some.

AEB
[/quote]

No problem ok

Posted: 07 Oct 2018, 15:51
by Simon WS
Sorry I didn't make Middle Wallop today, but I put the time to good use - it's finished! (except for decals and final set up).

I had managed to convince myself that I was going to need over 3Kg of lead in the nose, so I bought 2Kg (cos I'm tight) and stuck a bolt in before I put the lead shot in each of the nose cheeks, so that I could then tune it by bolting slabs of church roof in.

So then I filled the gap between bulkheads I'd glued in to contain the lead..

Then I filled it up with resin and was about to do the other side....

When I thought it might not be a bad idea to actually check the cg and holy S$%t I only need another 500g! (note to self: should have checked this first so that I could have put less in both sides!!...)

Anyway, this is all it needed to balance on the joiner - if I need to take any out I'll have to start doing that horrible job of chipping out the shot. I reckon I stand no chance of getting the bolt out now either without damaging something. Sigh....

Anyway, I hope you all had a lovely time at Middle Wallop - it was certainly a lovely sunny day here.

Waiting for a nice South Westerly for the maiden now

Si

Posted: 07 Oct 2018, 18:14
by catwok
Can't wait for the next report then Simon with flying shots! :D I did a similar job in getting my cg right but I got hold of some shot blast steel beads, I mixed the required amount into a paste using clear silicon sealant and spread a thin smear silicon in the nose area. Then moulded & pressed the mixture in. If I need to adjust the weight, it can be simply cut out with a Stanley blade.

Anyway good luck with the maiden and if it flys as good as it looks it won't be a problem....

Paul

Posted: 07 Oct 2018, 19:10
by terry white
Well done Simon,
Can you twist the Goodwin Vids team to video the maiden for us. with his expert camera work it should be quite something.
Going back to your nose weight,(caviar? :lol:) It is about now that you sit up in bed with a start and remember that you hadn't put the pilot and seat in when you balanced it. :roll:
Have a good maiden mate and if I'm not there as ground crew, give us all a blow by blow account of the day.

regards Terry

Posted: 07 Oct 2018, 19:39
by Peter Balcombe
Bound to have Easterlies for a while then Simon 😏

Posted: 08 Oct 2018, 12:19
by Simon WS
I suspect you are right Peter - although the forecast for next Friday looks promising at the moment. Rest assured Terry video will be taken to (hopefully) catch a successful maiden.
It's quite handy balancing on the round wing joiner because I could just bolt a couple of flat supporting strips to the model carrier I knocked up and rest the joiner on them - I always find it pretty difficult balancing third scale and up gliders but this makes it easy. I have bolted a couple of bits of lead to the bolt I put in to make it nose heavy (yes, with the pilot Terry!) as there was a slight inaccuracy in wing tube on this prototype which caused the difficulties in the wing root alignment and meant the leading edge has a slight forward facing angle to it - so I want it nose heavy to compensate.
I normally end up taking mountains of lead out of my gliders whilst trimming them so I expect I will this time too.

Andy S send me some fabulous decals so I put those on this morning...

No excuse now really....

Si

Posted: 08 Oct 2018, 13:24
by Geoff Pearce
Wow.........good luck Simon

Posted: 08 Oct 2018, 16:12
by terry white
One word--------- STUNNING

Posted: 08 Oct 2018, 17:13
by roo Hawkins
very nice simon.

Posted: 09 Oct 2018, 12:03
by Paul W
terry white wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 19:10 Can you twist the Goodwin Vids team to video the maiden for us
We've got it covered Terry!

1f496e8ba30eae6cdfafcbf2ee785782.jpg

It's looking superb Simon.... fingers crossed for good maiden conditions.

Posted: 12 Oct 2018, 15:18
by Simon WS
I had some fun slope flying with a fully ballasted F3F model today but the DG maiden will have to wait a while - 28 to 40mph winds and a turbulent landing area meant there was just too much risk to try it...

Simon

Posted: 12 Oct 2018, 17:00
by B Sharp
You were lucky that it was calm enough to fly a ballast F3f model, up here it was so windy (40 to 55) you could have flown a Dg800. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, its a good looking model Si.
Brian. :) :) :)

Posted: 13 Oct 2018, 00:03
by terry white
Just as I expected Simon, Good call though.

Posted: 18 Oct 2018, 18:47
by Simon WS
Maiden success on the South Downs today!

Paul will hopefully work his magic on the video editing but we should have enough footage to make it interesting. First flight, rather nose heavy but still flew without any trim applied due to the strong lift. Second flight we mounted a Go pro camera on a wing to get some interesting shots (hopefully - I haven't seen the footage yet). Still nose heavy after removing all the removable weight I can so I'll have to start applying some weight to the tail.

Phew - it was a bit stressful because the wind was far less than predicted and the landing area is a bit challenging but all went well.

I did fast passes, loops and rolls so it does everything I need it to - albeit I think it's going to be better with a more rearward cg.

Thanks to Terry for designing it...

Simon

Posted: 18 Oct 2018, 21:02
by catwok
A long journey Simon but well worth it I'm sure!
2 down, or up, 1 to go! :D

Posted: 19 Oct 2018, 10:26
by roo Hawkins
Well done si . We all look forward to seeing it. ROO :D

Posted: 19 Oct 2018, 22:30
by Jolly Roger
A huge well done Simon. I love how you've engineered everything properly and not cut any corners. It deserves to fly well and I hope will give you many hours of fun flying.

Posted: 21 Oct 2018, 16:01
by Paul W
Here's the footage from the day... congratulations Simon, she looks superb!

[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 21 Oct 2018, 16:11
by Barry_Cole
Looks good Simon, just the aerotow to go....

:geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

BC

Posted: 21 Oct 2018, 16:50
by Peter Balcombe
Well done Simon.
I can’t see why you were worried about the maiden !! :)
Perhaps you can can give her a proper work out next time around :D :D

Posted: 21 Oct 2018, 17:58
by Simon WS
Brilliant video from Paul as usual - many thanks to Paul, Eric and of course the very important launcher Mark.

The on board footage reminds me I need to complete the instrument panel, pedals, joystick and levers!

Phew!

Simon

Posted: 21 Oct 2018, 19:00
by terry white
Well done Simon.
She looks just awesome in the air; those huge open loops and fast,low passes is nothing but orgasmic (as they say in Whitehall) I am sure you are going to have hours and hours of fun with her. Well worth the build and small problems on the way. Also what a lovely clear well edited video,I shall keep a copy on my desktop and play it whenever the weather stops me flying. Thanks Paul.

Just a little history for those who have just joined us.
We've been waiting a long time for this day, Simon started this build thread exactly 2 years ago this week. and he has had quite a number of pit falls on his journey in completing the project. This is the very reason why I wanted him to take on the project in the first place.I new that once he had started it nothing would throw him off from completing it. He also promised to write a super build thread with a warts and all, day by day account on finishing a proto type model and this he has done admirably. For this we all thank him very much. Also Paul Watkins who had earlier in the month maidened his 800 ( which was the second prototype off the line), comes from a very respectable modelling background with his dad being none other than the legendary John Watkins. John is a little bit poorly now but still manages to fly with Paul's help. Paul too has brought many years of scale modeling experience to this project.

We at Purbeck Sailplanes started the original design of this model in 1998 twenty some years ago. The three proto- types were made purely to iron out the same pitfalls that Simon came across and wrote about. These would have been found and corrected before it had gone into full production just as the ASW27 did before it.
The 800 was the last model Purbeck produced after 12 years in the business, Each of our three families were employed full time with 2 part timers making 9 employed in total.We changed to larger premises twice, with a total of closing 2000 model kits coming out of our small family factory which were sent around the world including Hong Kong and America.
After 12 years of living,sleeping and playing model gliders, we all thought that such hard work deserved more rewards then we were getting, Also I had become sensitized to the epoxy and found that after a day in the factory with the associated fumes my eyes would not focus properly. The day had come; to call it a day and very reluctantly we sold out to an American company that had chased us to sell to them for a number of months.
Everything was packed up and shipped off to America in the coming weeks with part of the selling deal to finish the molds and templates for the coming DG800. This we did,but we just could not part with the three prototypes that had taken so much of our time and enthusiasm up until then.
So yes folk it does mean a great deal to me and my family to see these two models completed and flown, with my own ASW800 hot on their heels. I look forward to seeing all three together in the air next spring.I also hope that as his model settles down to his flying, that Simon will share future stories with us.
So once again thanks to Paul for being the first in the air, and a special thank you to Simon for this superb build thread.

Kind regards Terry.

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 09:01
by Simon WS
Thanks Terry. It means a great deal to me too to be the proud owner of all three of the Purbeck Sailplanes scale models - ASW27, Fox and now the DG800. I'm off to fly the DG again on the South Downs today and hope to tune the centre of gravity as it is still a bit nose heavy for me.

Simon

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 11:16
by VinceC
Pleased to see two people getting their just rewards from one build. Very satisfying

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 17:27
by mick a
excellent fight and video simon 👍👍
well done , can’t wait to see in flesh - hopefully thurnham soon
mick

Posted: 21 Nov 2018, 17:08
by Simon WS
I finally got round to adding the instrument dials and then at some point I will finish the cockpit by adding levers and pedals.

Si

Posted: 21 Nov 2018, 19:56
by terry white
Hi Simon,I thought you had emigrated :lol: :lol: Ter.

Posted: 22 Nov 2018, 16:10
by MDev
Nice one Simon, 'and then at some point I will finish the cockpit by adding levers and pedals.' Make sure you get a 'roundtoit' first! Haha, we all need them.