Page 1 of 1

Baudis Antares 20E

Posted: 07 Jan 2017, 06:04
by Phill Tadman
Hi all

My 1/3 scale Baudis Antares 20 E arrived yesterday :D

The team at Baudis were very helpful in sorting out the specification. I finally settled on a high modulus, double carbon sailplane only version for LDS linkages, MKS servos with custom paint and decals. Pavel and Jiri kept me updated with the construction progress and delivery details.

It came in a huge box that was extremely well packed. It took me about 15 minutes to open and excavate down through various levels of protection before I arrived at the model.

First impressions are of a very well built and finished model that is extremely stiff.

More pictures and build details to follow.

Phill

Re: Baudis Antares 20E

Posted: 07 Jan 2017, 08:03
by john greenfield
Hi Phil

You have got a very good and capable model there. I am sure it will bring you many years of enjoyable flying.

AEB

Posted: 07 Jan 2017, 08:05
by Phill Tadman
john greenfield wrote:Hi Phil

You have got a very good and capable model there. I am sure it will bring you many years of enjoyable flying.

AEB
Thanks John!

Have you ever flown one?

Phill

Posted: 07 Jan 2017, 08:06
by Phill Tadman
Phew it fits in the car!

Phill

Posted: 08 Jan 2017, 07:08
by john greenfield
Phill Tadman wrote:
john greenfield wrote:Hi Phil

AEB
Thanks John!

Have you ever flown one?

Phill
Yes Phil.

I have flown several (in different countries !?) and can tell you than when properly set up they are very good. For many years it was one of the top GPS racers and still does well in competition now. Several have been entered in the GPS World Cup this year.
Also makes a great sport model.

AEB

Posted: 08 Jan 2017, 14:27
by roo Hawkins
Hi Phil what a nice Christmas present to yourself :D l look forward to seeing it . ROO :D

Posted: 08 Jan 2017, 19:37
by Phill Tadman
Hi all,

Looking at starting the build with the outer ailerons.

This is a Linear Drive System (LDS) with MKS HBL6625 HV servos.

Baudis provided the LDS system and wooden frames cut to size for the MKS servo.

I'm a little unsure of how to fit the LDS, the main confusion being how the LDS horn fits into the aileron. I think you need to cut away a small area of the aileron wiper and then slide the horn into the top skin of the aileron.

Here's my plan, so any comments or corrections would be most welcome!

1. Determine the lateral (span) location of the LDS horn
2. Cut away a small area of aileron wiper and aileron slot in the horn until the hinge pin hole sits above the aileron hinge line.
3. Cut a small notch into the wing top in front of the horn to allow forward movement for up aileron.
4. Glue the LDS horn into the aileron with the slot on the top skin.
5. Test fit the LDS pushrod to the horn to determine the chord location of the bearing for neutral aileron.
6. Glue in the servo frame aligned with the LDS span and chord points determined in 1 and 5 above.
7. Cut the end tab off the MKS servo so it fits in the servo hole.
8. Loosely screw in the servo with LDS servo horn attached.
9. Feed the LDS pushrod through and attach to the LDS aileron horn.
10. Attach the LDS pushrod to the servo horn.
11. Fit and secure the LDS bearing.
12. Add blobs of epoxy to stop the pins falling out.

Phill

Posted: 16 Jan 2017, 16:13
by Phill Tadman
I've prepared the servo cable extensions for the outer wing panels.

I wanted to use something a bit more durable than JR connectors and am using MPX connectors with female servo pins crimped and then soldered onto the wires and then the pins pushed onto the MPX tags and soldered.

Wires covered with heat shrink and the whole encased in hot glue using a mold I got from Bernie at ESoaring gadgets.

Phill

Posted: 21 Jan 2017, 17:58
by Phill Tadman
Hi all,

Inner wing panel loom today.

MPX connectors soldered as per outer wing panel.

Servo cables laced together and then foam tied at strategic places to stop cable loom rattling in the wing.

Phill

Posted: 28 Jan 2017, 13:38
by Phill Tadman
Fitting the wing LDS this week.

I asked for some advice from Baudis who helpfully sent a diagram detailing the LDS horn locations and some advice for fitting the servos. The sequence is pretty much as I'd thought but the servos are screwed to the frames before fitting and the LDS pushrods are attached at the servo end.

The diagram shows recommended dimensions for the MKS HBL 6625 I'm using for inner and outer ailerons and the MKS HV747 for flaps. I placed the inner aileron horn location centre at 578mm from the tip to allow access to all the servo mounting holes. All servo bays had to be widened to allow the servos to fit.

The flap LDS horns are not recessed into the flap like the ailerons. The control surfaces were packed out with ply shims to ensure a snug LDS horn fit.

The LDS horns were glued in with some new epoxy from West Systems: 105 resin and 206 slow hardener. With a 5:1 mix, the epoxy has a syrupy consistency good for wetting out. Mixing in a collodial silicate additive for thickening to a mayonaise consistency helps for bonding and gap filling. A trial run shows a pot life of about 1 hour with a green state at 2 hours. Fully hard after 15 hours. The epoxy seems very good but I've found I'm allergic to its sanded dust!

Phill

Posted: 29 Jan 2017, 04:15
by Stuart Ward
That's one hell of a servo horn. What are you stearing with it? A freight truck?
Stu

Posted: 29 Jan 2017, 06:21
by Phill Tadman
Stuart Ward wrote:That's one hell of a servo horn. What are you stearing with it? A freight truck?
Stu
Lol, they are quite meaty, but then again so is the control surface :D

This is the supplied LDS system which is designed for minimal control surface flutter at high speed.

Phill

Posted: 30 Jan 2017, 16:28
by Phill Tadman
Hi all

Servos wrapped in sellotape to prevent sticking and then servo frames with servos attached and LDS pushrods connected fitted into the servo wells.

Whilst glue still wet, connected LDS horn and checked servo position for fullest control surface movement.

A tense and fiddly job! I think the servo wells should be at least 1cm bigger for the MKS HBL 6625 and HV747 servos.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get the servos out.

Servo leads soldered up, shrink wrapped and secured.

Phill

Posted: 07 Feb 2017, 19:27
by Phill Tadman
Flap and aileron servos fitted.

MKS HV 6130 for airbrakes is over the top, but they have an overcurrent protection feature which is handy for this location. I used some wooden frames from Hyperflight which worked well when doubled up in thickness.

Not enough room in the servo bays for the flap servos and LDS.

If i had to do it again I'd glue the LDS horns in then dry fit servos and LDS pushrods, mark the position of the frames, remove servos and glue temporary servo frame alignment jigs. When all dry remove jigs, fit LDS bearings, servos and pushrods.

Phill

Posted: 09 Feb 2017, 14:03
by Phill Tadman
Elevator servo and airspeed pitot fitted.

Had to enlarge servo hole to allow acces to the MKS HV747 servo screws.

Pitot tube mounted in shrink wrap glued to ply rib in the fin and can be retracted for transporting.

Phill

Posted: 09 Feb 2017, 14:52
by terry white
Great stuff Phil,will pay dividends on its flying quality. Ter.

Posted: 09 Feb 2017, 20:32
by Phill Tadman
Rudder horn measured out and fitted.

Tail control wire loom sheathed as the fuselage has some sharp carbon edges.

Also made a rudder servo tray that is secured by M3 bolts through a former in the rear of the tail.

Phill

Posted: 12 Feb 2017, 18:46
by Phill Tadman
HS-7954 tow release servo fitted on Florian Schambeck bracket.

Phill

Posted: 26 Feb 2017, 20:12
by Phill Tadman
Made some plates out of grp to hold wing connectors.

Phill

Posted: 26 Feb 2017, 20:15
by Phill Tadman
Gear and brake servos mounted.

The gear servo had to be programed for low resolution to achieve the maximum throw range required to lock the gear down.

Brake travel softened using a spring.

Phill

Posted: 05 Mar 2017, 13:33
by Phill Tadman
Assembly for C of G

Phill

Posted: 06 Mar 2017, 20:39
by Phill Tadman
Electronics fitted. From top to bottom:

- Space for Jeti MGPS
- Jeti REX2 satellite receiver
- Dual Jeti 5800 Power Ion batteries
- Jeti MVARIO vario and expander for MGPS and MSPEED telemetry sensors
- Jeti Central Box 200
- Jeti REX2 satellite receiver
- Powerbox iGyro 3e

Left hand side has Florian Schambeck 150Ncm protection units for tow release and gear servos and a Jeti Single Bec for brake servo protection.

Not in picture on the left hand side is a Powerbox GPS that provides a speed correction factor for the iGyro.

I thought I'd try the iGyro to help with aerotow and solo slope launches. I've had a few close calls solo launching my ASW20 at the slope when wind gusts tilt the wings before I can get my fingers on the controls. The iGyro has gains for each control axis but I'll probably only use roll and yaw correction.

The iGyro only has the signal leads connected to preserve the Jeti Central box servo shorting function. The iGyro gets its power from the Gain and the spare Elevator 2 (backup) inputs.

Phill

Posted: 12 Mar 2017, 13:52
by Phill Tadman
Drilled and tapped ballast bars for an angle fitting which attaches to a blind nut behing the fuselage frame.

Phill

Posted: 12 Mar 2017, 15:45
by terry white
Hi Phil, Superb installation. Don't fly it, hang it on your lounge wall as an example of modern art. :D Ter.

Posted: 12 Mar 2017, 15:58
by Phill Tadman
terry white wrote:Hi Phil, Superb installation. Don't fly it, hang it on your lounge wall as an example of modern art. :D Ter.

Haha!

Not sure it would fit. It certainly fills the lounge.

Phill

Posted: 12 Mar 2017, 16:31
by VinceC
A very nice model indeed

Posted: 25 Mar 2017, 15:10
by Phill Tadman
All finished!

Hoping to do the maiden soon!

Phill

Posted: 30 Mar 2017, 06:44
by roo Hawkins
Well done Phil . when are you planning to maidan?

Posted: 30 Mar 2017, 08:43
by Phill Tadman
Hi Roo,

It might be this Sunday - waiting for confirmation from AEB.

Otherwise it could be Middle Wallop in April.

Phill

Posted: 30 Mar 2017, 16:08
by Geoff Pearce
Hi Phil.
That looks amazing , look forward to seeing it in the flesh as it were.
Best of luck with maiden

Geoff

Posted: 31 Mar 2017, 08:05
by john greenfield
Phill Tadman wrote:Hi Roo,

It might be this Sunday - waiting for confirmation from AEB.

Otherwise it could be Middle Wallop in April.

Phill
Confirmation given. Weather looks nice for Sunday and tug available.

See you there around 10.00am

AEB

Posted: 01 Apr 2017, 04:57
by Phill Tadman
john greenfield wrote:
Confirmation given. Weather looks nice for Sunday and tug available.

See you there around 10.00am

AEB
Thanks John!

Phill

Posted: 02 Apr 2017, 18:16
by Phill Tadman
Maiden completed at Baldock by AEB with Tony on the tug!

Many thanks to those gentlemen and the other members of NLMFC for hosting me as a visitor today.

[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 09 Nov 2020, 14:48
by Phill Tadman
Antares rebooted!

Just received my new Baudis Antares fuselage featuring a FES (the anti-motor brigade might need to go to their happy place for a while)

The fuselage was ordered with the intention of allowing ROG launches at my local club without the aid of a tug.

Baudis have made a super job, re-contouring the elliptical nose section of the Antares to conform to a Schambeck spinner.

The motor mounts look super neat, although I might add some glass cloth just to be safe.

Baudis also fitted a WEMO EZFW FES retract that has a long throw to clear the prop for take off. This retract seems far superior to the old style, having a much more positive action and holds closed without any fuss.

Baudis also seem to have changed a few other things, fitting the wing servo cable connectors and cutting a hole and cover plate for the rudder servo.

The motor is a Hacker A50-14L V3 and I’m hoping to run a 14*10 (1800W) or 15*10 (2100W) propeller with 2*4S 5000mAH LIPOS.

All in all, superb work from Baudis - can’t recommend them highly enough.

Phill

Posted: 09 Nov 2020, 16:45
by roo Hawkins
Great idea mate

Posted: 09 Nov 2020, 17:27
by Phill Tadman
BTW I will also have the old fuselage available for sale at some point if anyone is interested.

Phill

Posted: 30 Dec 2020, 17:55
by Phill Tadman
Right, found some time to start on the FES Antares fuselage.

Better call it a semi-scale model now to avoid a caution from the scale police 😉

Added a new tow release from Let and a hench servo.
08CAFEB0-9460-4C31-8A8E-314B9E9B4827.jpeg
Also added some shelves for the Receiver batteries and Jeti Central Box and Receiver
0873CBE0-E099-4B5B-AF86-5CA160506862.jpeg
Made a removable flight battery tray so I can get the retract in and out if needed.

The tray bolts to a spare hole in the retract mount.
8CFF88D3-D8D7-4214-84D4-61D1B92481E5.jpeg
6F847845-9B5B-4A9A-A38D-ED9767F39A52.jpeg

Posted: 30 Dec 2020, 18:34
by Max Wright
Following along, Phill.

A beautiful model. 8-)

Posted: 31 Dec 2020, 16:55
by John Vella
Phill Tadman wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 17:55 Right, found some time to start on the FES Antares fuselage.

Better call it a semi-scale model now to avoid a caution from the scale police
Phill, don't be hard on yourself as maybe Axel Lange may follow you and produce a FES Antares in the Future. Anyway a very nice project. Regards John.

Posted: 02 Jan 2021, 17:29
by Phill Tadman
I’m using a YGE ESC with a propeller positioning firmware modification purchased from Florian Schambeck.

I want the motor to rotate to the position where propellers conform to the fuselage best to reduce drag.

A Hall sensor is placed in the nose protruding into the back of the spinner cavity and a small magnet sits in the spinner itself.
C9B9EE1B-C10B-4E13-90F8-23E1A8E9ECE9.jpeg
Some careful alignment is needed using a second small magnet to hold the first in place to check everything before final fixing.

On ESC initialise and motor stop, the ESC rotates the motor to the required position. The accuracy is pretty good with the Hacker A50 I’m using. Florian states the system is really meant for their Power line motors.

Posted: 04 Jan 2021, 22:10
by Phill Tadman
The only space I could find for the ESC (and keep the battery leads short) is semi inverted behind the canopy.

Battery lead length is 18cm (YGE say 30cm max).

Extension leads will be twisted 10AWG from the ESC to the motor down the right side of the fuselage as far away as possible from servo wires.
E1E7D58A-60F7-442B-9C85-BEB41222C096.jpeg

Posted: 13 Jan 2021, 18:17
by Jolly Roger
Hi Phill,
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, enjoying your craftsmanship.

Hope you don't mind me posting a few pics of a full-size Antares that visited the skies over here last Summer. I caught up with it on landing and had a good drool over it. Compared with the usual DG/ASW/Schempp-Hirth stuff it definitely seems to be next level. The fit of the canopy and sealing of control surfaces is tighter and cleaner. It also seemed eerily quiet on a fly-by.

Best wishes,
Rog

Posted: 19 Jan 2021, 15:34
by Phill Tadman
All wired up, just programming to do
8E3B80AA-C885-40FD-9B53-8BCAAA2786A1.jpeg