• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

jillies smit 1/3 pilatus b4**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Barry_Cole

Re: jillies smit 1/3 pilatus b4

Post by Barry_Cole »

And so much better than those stupid Gas Struts.

Congratulations Andrew..

BC
jack

Post by jack »

Cheers for the pics roo,l will post some of my retract, its been trial fitted but is currently out of the airframe,l found a very neat servo mount on our favourite auction site that fits perfectly and is identical to the one on the plans,seems they are intended for b***s!!,l plan on fitting a power hd 20kg servo as l happen to have one to hand,reckon that should move it okay!!,cheers guys,jack.
Martin Church

Post by Martin Church »

Watching this build with great interest, the pilatus always had a place in my heart. Years ago I remember Barry flying one from a German manufacturer from white sheet hill & it had a great presence in the air.
larrikin

Post by larrikin »

G'day gents,

Subscribed and following with interest. :)

David.
jack

Post by jack »

Hi all,thanks to cliff for posting the pics for me,and apologies to all for my enforced absence,however,all seems well now,so l will be pushing on with the B4,and also getting some stick time in at last,......the b4 is essentially complete as regards actual construction,first time l have used ply skinning,my thanks to Mr greenly for his excellent "how to" videos,its not as scary as l had first thought!!,l started glassing the wings this evening,undersides are glassed and curing,l do worry about the heat in my shop,got a fan running to try and keep it down,funny really,when l started this build l was in danger of frostbite,now its heat stroke :lol:.....my home built retract is ready to go in,and l will be sourcing a pilot from,Real model pilots,l found some really good wing servos from airtek £18 each not at all bad,so that's where l am at the moment,back in harness and raring to go....ps :- love your little wolf cw,but really-rolling manouvers??,my full size Grunau was stressed for aeros,but l never tried that!!!..jack. :D :D :D
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Image1.jpg
A Wolf toured with Alan Cobbham's Flying Circus, giving aerobatic displays. History does not record if there were any rolling manoeuvres. ;)
The type had a reputation for dangerous spinning and most were grounded, which is why so few survive today.
All of this goes to show that if they had the use of the HQ section I use back then, it might have turned out differently!
(This is not a rolling manoeuvre , it's an approach)
jack

Post by jack »

Given the resemblance to a Grunau 2b,you would think the wolfs handling would also be similar,l seem to recall hearing some tales about the wolfs spin problems a long time ago,never got to see one in the flesh though,my Grunau was always no problem,unlike the L-23 super blanik!!!,that one really made me appreciate bike clips :lol:
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Well done on the build Jack - it looks fabulous. Hope the maiden flight goes (has gone) well. Maybe you could post B4 and after photos? ;)

Rog

P.S. What's the final weight?
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Rog

First Middle wallop of the season is next month 18/19 May. We will all be looking forward to the first flights.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
jack

Post by jack »

Gentlemen,the middle wallop maiden flight looms ever closer,my butterflies grow ever larger,but l view the approaching day with great satisfaction...its been a while coming for various reasons!....anyway,the all up weight is about 12.5/13 kg,now to me that seems on the light side for such a large airframe,so l checked it again..yep,thats what my scales are telling me again,l am suitably impressed,having had to locate some 3lbs of best church roof in the nose to put the c/g on the main wing joiner,and also not renowned as a light builder,l was expecting it to be between 15-20 kg,l have not added cockpit detail or a pilot yet,l prefer to get the maiden over with then do the detail stuff....so there we are,she is now fit to fly,all the wiggley bits wiggle in the right directions,the wheel goes up and down on demand,all l have left to do is the cockpit canopy latch...and find a willing test pilot!! ;) ,mr greenfield,are you busy at the moment,l have this little job for you?? :twisted: :roll: :twisted: