1/4 Scale ASK21

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Geoff Pearce

Re: 1/4 Scale ASK21

Post by Geoff Pearce » 27 Aug 2018, 13:11

Well done Peter, will you be challenging Roo for fastest build? :lol:

Mike Forsyth

Post by Mike Forsyth » 27 Aug 2018, 13:57

Thanks, Peter. 1.7kg for the fuselage is not too bad, I will be watching this with special interest. You have done a Fantastic job 😃

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 27 Aug 2018, 16:34

Geoff,
I don’t think Roo has anything to worry about 🙂
It’s taken 18 months so far to just get a fuselage.
However, wing & tail designs are done, so maybe have something to maiden by next Spring.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 13 Sep 2018, 22:24

With fuselage available, I have designed a tailplane arrangement using DevWing, transferring the output to DevCad to work up the detailed cutting templates and annotated build plan.
Cliff Evans kindly cut some parts for me, so the tailplane has started taking shape as shown below.
The plan is to embed a thin wing servo in the rear of the tailplane, this driving the elevator via a short pushrod to a ball joint on the bottom of the central elevator half joiner. The linkage sits in a slot cut in the top of the fin.
The tailplane is attached using a single bolt and anti rotation pin.
ASW-21-tailplane.jpeg
Tailplane internals
Last edited by Cliff Evans on 14 Sep 2018, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Problem with picture.

Simon WS

Post by Simon WS » 14 Sep 2018, 06:43

Looks very neat Peter
Simon

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 16 Oct 2018, 18:14

After a bit of a delay (to remake the elevator in order to avoid added filler weight), the tailplane top sheeting has been added and the elevator dry hinged to check servo operation.
Everything looks good, so the lower building tabs have now been removed and lower spars fitted ready for application of the lower sheeting.
Note that tip blocks have still to be added to give the final shape.

I will investigate fitting of a servo hatch to allow access, plus fitting the tailplane to the top of the fin.
Rudder construction has also started, so I hope to be able to check the overall fit of the tail feathers soon.
Attachments
Tailplane_Elev_Under.jpg
Tailplane & Elevator underside
Tailplane_Elev_top2.jpg
Tailplane & Elevator top

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 24 Nov 2018, 19:22

With rudder built up and hinged onto a Liteply/balsa finpost, I finally found time between other builds to fit the tailplane fixing Tee nut at the top of the fin and also cut out the tailwheel slot in order to check that the rudder & elevator were clear with the tailplane in place.
Happily it all fits, so I can now tidy everything up before moving on to the wings.
The tailplane overhangs the front of the fin a little more than true scale, but that is because my fin is a little less deep than it should be (3-view scaling error :o ) - but hopefully no-one will bother to much when it is all done.

Note that the bit projecting above the tailplane in the photos (looks like a flag) is actually a piece of masking tape attached to the rudder hinge pin wire to hold the top of the rudder in place as the fin-post is only dry fitted. The wire will be replaced with a removeable carbon rod in due course.
Attachments
Tail group check.jpg
Tail group check2.jpg