Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

1/4 Scale ASK21

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

Re: 1/4 Scale ASK21

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi Brian,
It’s probably not necessarily the normal way to do it, but it’s my first time & I already have the canopy opening blanks saved from the fuselage mould making process ;)

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

I know that canopy plugs are normally made from a hardwood core, but I am going to have a go at something different - given my starting point with two perfectly profiled canopy opening blanks.

I plan to end up with solid herculite (or similar) plaster moulding plugs, but will be trying a different route to get there. It may not work, but if it does, then it should make life a lot easier than carving two large wooden plugs from scratch.
The extended canopy opening blanks have now been initially filled & shaped to conform to the canopy opening profiles. The pic below shows one of them before the front & rear release angles were increased. The resultant block will also be given more generous rounded corners to improve release tapers prior to sealing with glass & epoxy resin.
Attachments
130FB78F-1F1D-4E70-B9F9-6D40C72A4C1E.jpeg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Back to the wings, which have now been glassed and also received a thin sealing coat of epoxy resin to leave a gloss finish.
Once rubbed back a bit with fine wet&dry used wet, the ailerons will be hinged & servo installation sorted prior to painting - which might now have to wait a bit!
Attachments
59B0FEF3-8FD3-4E70-B45F-8F09598EAEC6.jpeg

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Wings look lovely Peter. The camber on the undersurface looks very realistic.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Jolly Roger wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 22:53
Wings look lovely Peter. The camber on the undersurface looks very realistic.
After talking to Noël Rumers before the wings were designed several years ago, I decided to use the full size FX section as Noël reckoned that with a tip chord of >130mm, that would work & allow the model to fly at a scale speed.
We will see if that is so in due course ;)

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

All looking very good Peter, but where do the golf clubs fit into this equation?
Brian. :D