Page 1 of 1

Micro Wolf

Posted: 17 Jul 2017, 16:12
by chris williams
1/7th scale, 2m span...built for our new passion...Micro-Towing! ;)

Re: Micro Wolf

Posted: 17 Jul 2017, 19:28
by Tonyh
Going indoor flying with Ray!

Posted: 18 Jul 2017, 16:26
by chris williams
Construction similar to the bigger ones, but scaled down considerably

Posted: 18 Jul 2017, 18:50
by FrankS
very nice, what are you towing it up with?

Posted: 18 Jul 2017, 22:01
by Barry_Cole
A Wot 4 Foamie. Works a treat.
BC

Posted: 18 Jul 2017, 23:09
by chris williams
We reckon about six tows per 3s Lipo

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 13:32
by FrankS
Barry_Cole wrote:A Wot 4 Foamie. Works a treat.
BC
A Wot4 "Foamie" I was expecting you to say you'd built a suitable scale Chipmunk or similar :lol: I don't feel quite so bad now using a foamie Riot XL to tow up light weight gliders :P

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 14:01
by Barry_Cole
FrankS wrote:
BC
A Wot4 "Foamie" I was expecting you to say you'd built a suitable scale Chipmunk or similar :lol: I don't feel quite so bad now using a foamie Riot XL to tow up light weight gliders :P
He does not know it, but that is his next project.....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BC

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 14:03
by chris williams
I was thinking a micro-Greenley might be more fun, complete with micro-underwear :)

Posted: 19 Jul 2017, 16:41
by Barry_Cole
chris williams wrote:I was thinking a micro-Greenley might be more fun, complete with micro-underwear :)
Sounds like a plan. JG will be proud..

:D :D :D :D

BC

Posted: 20 Jul 2017, 07:05
by john greenfield
chris williams wrote:I was thinking a micro-Greenley might be more fun, complete with micro-underwear :)
Off to the toy shop then Chis to sort through Barbie outfits !!!?

Posted: 23 Jul 2017, 20:31
by chris williams
...and when it stopped raining, went to the hill this evening to cry 'Wolf'. Very surprised: my expectations weren't that high, but she performs really well. A long, flat glide and no tip stalling, even with full military up-elevator ;)

Even now, BC's Wot 4 is cringing in its hangar

Posted: 24 Jul 2017, 08:03
by Barry_Cole
No, I checked, it's fine. Motley's, WOt4, however was last seen going down the road shouting Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Glad it went well, despite being 8 Oz over weight...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC

Posted: 25 Jul 2017, 20:16
by chris williams
1st aerotow today, wot fun!!

To quote the incomparable DJ Trump: 'Who knew!'

Posted: 25 Jul 2017, 21:14
by Jolly Roger
Now this looks like a whole heap of fun!

So... what weight did we end up with and which section did you use on the wing? Do spill the beans...

Posted: 25 Jul 2017, 23:07
by chris williams
AUW 38ozs (sounds so much lighter than 2+lbs!) Wing section the trusty HQ35/12. Loops and rolls with ease: please, no muttering from the Scale Police, the full size was stressed for aerobatics.

Posted: 25 Jul 2017, 23:28
by SP250
Wot are you doing at the tug end for the extra servo and release?

John M

Posted: 26 Jul 2017, 07:25
by Trevor
FrankS wrote:
BC
At the risk of taking this excellent thread off topic, what size glider can the Riot XL cope with and did you beef up the power train? I ask because I have just been donated one to operate as a club tug. I've not seen it yet, and rumour has it that it has spent a few weeks up a pine tree in a former life, so I'm not sure what I've let myself in for!

Posted: 26 Jul 2017, 11:10
by Barry_Cole
The choice of the Wot 4 foamie, was totally non technical. I just happened to have a spare one. The need for it, was to tow up a West Wings Skylark that I had built. The W4 has plenty of power and is easy to fly, and as the plan was to get CW to do the towing, this was critical.

As you can see from the photos the release is very basic, but as loads are low, I figured it would do the job. I had no idea how well it would go, but it has turned out to be great fun, and as you can see it has provoked CW into designing and building a small model. After another great day out yesterday, he was off home to design another one.

To be honest it was worth all the effort, just to see Chris's face the very first day I handed him the Tx and told him he had to fly the tug. In true CW fashion, he instantly grabbed his camera, and handed the Tx to Geoff.

Posted: 26 Jul 2017, 22:47
by FrankS
Trevor wrote:
At the risk of taking this excellent thread off topic, what size glider can the Riot XL cope with and did you beef up the power train? I ask because I have just been donated one to operate as a club tug. I've not seen it yet, and rumour has it that it has spent a few weeks up a pine tree in a former life, so I'm not sure what I've let myself in for!
Trevor, only done the 2.2m Parkzone Ka8 so far, but it doesn't even notice them.

Posted: 27 Jul 2017, 07:54
by Trevor
Thanks Frank. There are a couple of 100in traditionally built gliders hoping for a tow, so hopefully it should manage those okay.

Posted: 07 Aug 2017, 11:51
by chris williams
Managed to really wring the Wolf out at White Sheet yesterday. It's about as much fun as you can have standing up...! ;)

Posted: 09 Aug 2017, 11:16
by chris williams
And now, the video...

[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 09 Aug 2017, 14:05
by Martynk
I like that.. Very nice indeed. A good practical size as well

Posted: 09 Aug 2017, 14:36
by Barry_Cole
Martynk wrote:I like that.. Very nice indeed. A good practical size as well
Not from the photographers point of view!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC

Posted: 18 Aug 2017, 02:06
by ARUP
Very nice! You're so lucky to have such a great slope, too!

Posted: 29 Nov 2018, 20:35
by COLSON
The wolf plan looks great ! I'm liking this smaller scale stuff,,,,,,come on Chris how about a small rhonadler ?? I'll be on board with having a fleet of 1/6 scale sailplanes as they will be easier for me too take too France !

Posted: 04 Dec 2018, 21:34
by Paul_Williams
Chris - love the Mini Wolf and the small Petrel - I think free plans are a great way of encouraging more interest in scale sailplanes.
The smaller size certainly makes storage easier !!!!
There is no right or wrong size but can I draw your attention to the excellent 'Action Man' type 'Action figures' produced by Dragon. They do a vast range of military figures /uniforms/civilian clothes and a huge range of very life-like heads. All this can be found on Ebay and heads are in the £5-10 range which make excellent pilots. These are 1/6 scale so....... any chance of a 1/6 Rhonadler ????

Paul

Posted: 29 Mar 2019, 16:37
by Trevor
My build of Chris's Micro Wolf is at last underway. See link below for the first instalment:

http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/modelf ... diary.html

Posted: 29 Mar 2019, 23:29
by terry white
Good build thread Trevor, good pici's too.

Posted: 01 May 2019, 16:36
by Trevor
Second monthly instalment now available:

http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/modelf ... html#April

Posted: 05 May 2019, 18:39
by Yeletah
Good build thread

Posted: 02 Jun 2019, 14:46
by Trevor
Thanks for the comment - always good to know that someone is watching!

May instalment now online:

http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/modelf ... y.html#May

Posted: 02 Jul 2019, 10:12
by Trevor
. . And another month has gone by!
http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/modelf ... .html#June

Nearly there now though.

Posted: 17 Jul 2019, 16:23
by Trevor
Well, now complete with markings and pilot, my Micro Wolf is ready to go. All up weight 2lb 3oz. Here's hoping for suitable conditions this Sunday at White Sheet.

Trevor

Posted: 17 Jul 2019, 17:00
by geoff_crew
Excellent job Trevor, hopefully fingers crossed for Sunday then ;)

Geoff

Posted: 17 Jul 2019, 21:26
by chris williams
Looks like you pipped Barry to the post :D

Posted: 17 Jul 2019, 23:23
by Barry_Cole
I would have got there, but I have been making wheels all week.........

BC

Posted: 18 Jul 2019, 08:04
by Trevor
You're dropping to the back of the pack Barry, Alex's Wolf is also now ready:
IMG_0542.JPG
There's one more that I know of still under construction down here, probably 3/4 built and hurrying to catch up. Hopefully we can get the full pack together later in the year.

Posted: 18 Jul 2019, 17:09
by BrettW
I too had been hoping to have my micro-wolf ready for WS this coming weekend. It would definitely have been ready in time had I not been forced kicking and screaming to go away on holiday last month and enjoy myself in the Greek sunshine instead!

Brett

Posted: 22 Jul 2019, 16:22
by Trevor
As most readers will know, my Micro Wolf was maidened at the White Sheet Scale Day yesterday. Alex also flew his at the same time but rumour has it that Barry, no doubt goaded by earlier comments, snook in a maiden flight with his before the rest of us arrived.

I must say I was impressed by how the little model handled the stiff breeze, especially for a lightweight, relatively draggy design. I kept the flight fairly short and, in view of the low level wind shear which was causing a few problems on the day, was happy to get it down safely. All in all, a very promising start.

To quote the man from 23 Railway Cuttings, 'Fine plane, tell the designer chappie'.
Wolf Glider.jpeg

Posted: 03 Aug 2019, 10:11
by chris williams
Two Wolfs were twin-towed at CMFC last evening. Barry and I strove to keep out of each other's way, whilst Motley drove the Williamsley...
No animals were hurt during this process...

Posted: 03 Aug 2019, 17:12
by chris williams
View from the tug...