5 meter Horton III BETA BUILD from Vermont USA

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Barry_Cole

Re: 5 meter Horton III BETA BUILD from Vermont USA

Post by Barry_Cole » 12 Feb 2018, 19:04

And two more for luck
Attachments
h70.jpg
h71.jpg

Richard_A

Post by Richard_A » 13 Feb 2018, 22:06

Hello Bob,
You are cracking on well with this fascinating project. It would be good to see a little more detail of how the joiner system works at the centre section/tip section interface if that is possible. I think the last post is leading up to it.
Also are you putting carbon tows on the spruce spars? Again it looks like it from the last post.

Richard.

Bob Bray

Post by Bob Bray » 14 Feb 2018, 18:25

Thank you Richard,
Yes I am putting carbon tow on the spars. I don't mind over building even if it means a little more weight. That is not the case here only a little more time. Strength is everything. With such wing lengths I prefer to err on the side of caution. I don't intend to keep this bird for ever so the next owner can be safe in trusting that I built it right and it will last a long time. What better building history than photo proof?
The wing joining is simple. A 7/8", OD aluminum tube is im bedded as a sleeve and the wing rod will either be a solid aluminum rod or a couple of tubes slid together probably with a dowel inside and pinned. I am a budget modeler and am trying to build this one with that in mind as many of you are not interested in springing a hundred bucks or more for carbon fiber or glass parts. It's getting harder to find lengths and sizes in the local hardware and box stores. The sleeve and rod is 4' and everything in the stores are 3' & 2'. Use to be able to find 6' but not now without going online and then you don't know what shipping will do to it!
At any rate, the second wing is ready to receive TOW and final bracing. Then on to sheeting.
Not too bad for 27 days of building. I will have Marc Beaupre post some pictures of the center section and wing joining tube.
Many thanks for following along. Please feel free to comment or request explanation of anything here.
bird.

Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams » 15 Feb 2018, 20:32

Hi Bob,
as a long time Horten researcher, I had some input to Jilles drawings.
The wing section is pretty thick, although still slightly thinner than exact scale - have you experienced any problems with this feature ?
Slope soaring is my thing and I am considering an H.IIIb of around 3m which is is a bit easier to hang onto in a blow :D
Paul

Richard_A

Post by Richard_A » 15 Feb 2018, 22:34

Thank you for the info Bob. I think modellers everywhere are finding it more difficult to source hardware items these days.
Good luck with the rest of the build. We are following it all with interest.

Richard.

Bob Bray

Post by Bob Bray » 18 Feb 2018, 01:15

Paul_Williams wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 20:32
Hi Bob,
as a long time Horten researcher, I had some input to Jilles drawings.
The wing section is pretty thick, although still slightly thinner than exact scale - have you experienced any problems with this feature ?
Slope soaring is my thing and I am considering an H.IIIb of around 3m which is is a bit easier to hang onto in a blow :D
Paul
Paul, I'm not sure what you mean about any problems. I'm still building it. This will be my first flying wing except for a ZAGGY foam electric about 48" span. 53 years building and flying experience but I hear this may be a bit of a challenge to fly. We will see! Thanks for your interest.
bird.

Bob Bray

Post by Bob Bray » 18 Feb 2018, 01:56

Richard_A wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 22:34
Thank you for the info Bob. I think modellers everywhere are finding it more difficult to source hardware items these days.
Good luck with the rest of the build. We are following it all with interest.

Richard.
Thanks Rich, I think you are referring to the joiner tube. I did find one 6' long with 1/8" wall, 6061 aluminum. They also had phenolic receiver tubes, 7/8" with 1/16" wall. It cost $47.88 for the aluminum tube and $13.92 each for 2
40" phenolic tubes. $17.00 shipping. So about $93. Of course that is here in the states. Bucks. Still close to that hundred dollar bill! I tried looking for carbon fiber but it's way too expensive.
The aluminum tube here is 3/4" OD and If you feel unsure about it then you can insert a 1/2" rod or dowel and pin it. I think it prudent to off a kit option to be cut by order for certain tube sizes. There is ample room in the structure for a 2" tube. I will include that recommendation in my builder notes as suggested options or improvements.
Today the servos and servo-less spoilers came in the mail. The retractable nose gear will be coming in from China so it will take a bit longer. Total outlay was about $190.00. The motor and ESC was acquired through trade but it is a Rimfire 80 and an SS 60 silver series 60 amp capable of handling 4-12 cells of lipo's.
The servo-less spoilers eliminate 2 servos at about$30. Bucks a piece.
With Solartex going out of business, it will be difficult to find enough linen or natural colored, coloured for you brits 😂, to cover it.
Can't find a lot of information on this bird, perhaps you chaps have some pictures of different color schemes it wore. I will not put any swastikas on it. I feel that it is disrespectful and inappropriate to do so. One thing I saw on a 109's tail was a German flag colors in the area the 'JERKS CROSS' was.
So, that's it for now fellas. Please keep the feedback coming.
From the bird cage.
bird.

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 22 Feb 2018, 20:15

And yet more pics.....
Attachments
h71.jpg
h72.jpg
h73.jpg
h74.jpg
h76.jpg
h77.jpg
h78.jpg
h79.jpg
h75.jpg

Bob Bray

Post by Bob Bray » 22 Feb 2018, 23:16

Well gentlemen, finally sourced my materials as I posted earlier. The installation was nice and easy. I have not cut the aluminum tube yet.
Getting much closer to sheeting the wings. Hate to push too fast, just know I'll miss something if I do.
Lots and lots and lots of sanding on this bird. Don't want any lumps in the sheeting, not much left of the 1/16" when you sand it out!
Bought 2 ten meter rolls of olive drab solartex from Balsa USA yesterday. $226.00 for the pair! Their supply is getting thin. I made the remark that they aught to buy solartex' company and they said they had tried to but solartex said that the machinery was so old they thought it wouldn't make it to the states in tact. I think they just don't want to dink with it. Great loss for sure!
That's all for now. As you blokes say, I'll keep cracking on with this project!
Thanks for following along.
bird.

Doug Diener

Post by Doug Diener » 29 Aug 2019, 06:18

I keep checking for updates about this great build and wondering what has happened to this project. What is the status of this being available as a kit?
doug