• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Lawrie P

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101**

Post by Lawrie P »

Hello,
Lawrence Prest here.Finally remembered my user name and password. Last year I built the ASK 18 from the Jilles Smits plan and short kit cut by a local supplier here in Queensland and having got it flying nicely,( we can only aerotow here in Townsville, no slopes for miles around), I mentioned to Jilles that I was on the look out for another build for this year and he mentioned that he had just finished the plans for the Pws101. I checked it out on the web and ordered a short kit.
What you see in the photos is the fuselage dry fitted together but the tail feathers are glued and will be finished up to the covering stage before proceeding too far with the fuselage.
Lawrie P.
Lawrie P

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101

Post by Lawrie P »

Tail feathers are nearly ready for final sanding and covering.Now it will be back on with the fuselage.
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3213.JPG
IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Wing joiner tubes have now been sorted out and fitted so now fuselage can be prepared for sheeting. Stringers being fitted, Elevator pushrod is now sorted. Tow release is next in line. Wing tubes are 3/4 inch aircraft alloy tubing which will have a hardwood dowel made and glued in full length of the tube. Nose cone is 3D printed and after the tow release tube is fitted and fixed through the cone it will be removed off the fuselage and filled with lead. So far so good. All parts going together very nicely.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Here are some more photos of progress. Elevator servo and pushrod is all sorted. 60mm of travel up and down as shown in photos. Tow release is all fitted up and a brass tube fitted through nose cone which is now filled with lead and weighs 572 grams and still needs filling with epoxy resin. also made a ballast box which will be glassed inside and out and will hopefully carry at least a kilo of lead. With these little jobs out of the way i can now finish preparing the fuselage for sheeting, with 3mm balsa at least down to the bottom stringer.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Cracking on with the sheeting now. The large flatter area's will be covered with fitted sheeting and the more curvier area's will get fitted planks.
I will fit as much as i can while its on the board. Thoughts are already turning towards the wings. I will have to make my building board about a metre longer i think. Really enjoying this build and the challenges it brings up.
IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3271.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Top sheeting is now all fitted down to the bottom stringer. I dont think the fuselage will change shape now so it will be safe to remove it from the building board. Bottom of fuselage will now be prepared for planking. Once the fuse is ready for glassing i will put it aside and make a start on the wings. Happy days......
IMG_3291.JPG
IMG_3286.JPG
IMG_3288.JPG
IMG_3289.JPG
IMG_3292.JPG
IMG_3293.JPG
Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

This build looks very good.
I'm not so sure I would use the plastic push rod for the elevator. They are not very positive. You might find that you have false centering. They also have issues with changing centre as the temperature changes.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hello Stuart,
Nice to see someone is observant. Way down the back of the fuselage there is a 2.5mm od brass tube fitted each to guide the pull, pull wires for the rudder. The red snake tubes you can see in the photos are only temporary. They fit over the ends of the brass tubes and run all the way to the rudder servo space and will guide the rudder wires through the fuselage so they dont take any wrong turns as i feed them in from the back end. After the wires are in place the red snakes will be pulled out. Fuselage is all sheeted now so i will post some more photos sonn.
Lawrie.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hi all, here are some more photos. The fuselage is now all sheeted and planked. There is a little bit of filling to do and then some sanding. Anybody here enjoy sanding.......
Now its on to the wings. As designed, each wing panel is 2.6 mtrs long which is a bit to big for me to transport and not to easy to store away, so after a lot of thought and a few emails to Jilles i have decided to join the wings just outboard of the gull section just where the ailerons start. It makes for a bit more work and a bit more weight but for me it will be worth it in the long run. The timber stringers you can see on the bench are of Hoop Pine which is a local timber to Queensland with very similar qualities to spruce. The are full length, 12mm * 6mm and taper from the clamp you can see down to 3mm at the tip. I also pre bend them by soaking over night and bending into a jig and left to dry for a few days. While this was happening i was busy pre fitting the ribs to the ply spars, some were a bit tight, and also the front ply spar needed chamfering to match the contour of the ribs.The ply spars have build tabs on them to stand up on so i spent quite some time making sure the bench was nice and straight and no twists.
Once that was done i could then start to dry fit the ribs to spars standing things up as i worked along the wing, which is as you see it now. The whole structure just sitting there on the bench. I will now fit jig supports to the build tabs to hold everything straight. Each rib can the pulled of in turn and glue applied where needed and slipped back into place. Sheeting the top and bottom of the wing back to the main spar will be an interesting exercise.
Lawrie.
IMG_3301.JPG
IMG_3300.JPG
IMG_3324.JPG
IMG_3327.JPG
IMG_3341.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3342.JPG
IMG_3344.JPG
IMG_3346.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

The left hand wing continues to come together. Top timber spar, trailling edge and leading edge are all glued up and work started on the air brakes.
Fitting all those balsa blocks at the leading edge took some but i think is a good way to end up with an accurate profile for the airfoil shape.
When i built the Ask 18 last year it has one long piece of balsa shaped to profile and even though i made a couple of templates to get the shape it left me wondering if i did'nt get the radius correct all the way along the leading, what effect would it have on the rest of the airfoil shape????
IMG_3370.JPG
IMG_3371.JPG
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG