• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Lawrie P

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101

Post by Lawrie P »

This week has seen me preparing the top of wing for sheeting with .4mm ply, and then the last couple of days fitting and glueing the sheeting into place. This morning i put the saw through the spars to separate the two halves, and now it will be on with the incidence pins and preparation of the bottom of wings for sheeting.
IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3383.JPG
IMG_3388.JPG
IMG_3389.JPG
IMG_3390.JPG
IMG_3391.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hello from down under,
Some more progress at last. I have been busy doing other things,(I had forgotten there are other things in life apart from building scale gliders, B****r).
Anyway, I have made and fitted the wiring looms in each wing panel and checked and double checked the servos working about a dozen times so all is good there which has enabled me to finalize the joining of the wing panels. Air brakes are going together and this afternoon I got the aileron pieces out of storage and on to the bench.
IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3398.JPG
IMG_3397.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Thanks Cliff.
Definitely a labour of love is this one, and looking forward to seeing it finished and flying.How is the canopy going. Im still some way off needing it, but if it was here i would be taking time out to admire it and it would inspire me to make the canopy frame.
Cheers.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Cliff Evans wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 08:03 Canopy will not be long!
It will need to be fairly long or it will not fit....

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hi Guys,
The last few days has been all about the ailerons and air brakes. Parts going together very nicely. All the large sheeting is done on the wings, so now its down to the gussets and rib caps so the wing panels have gone from the bench to the table for the fiddley stuff to be fitted and on to bench this afternoon with the parts for the right hand wing. I wont bore you with the same photos again for the righthand side but will chime in now and again with a couple of the caps and gussets.
Cheers
Lawrie.
IMG_3412.JPG
IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

G,day Guys,
Im still here.Got a little bit going on. The right hand wing panels are taking shape.
Also the canopy frame coming together. Still needs a bit more whittling and shaping but so far so good. This coming week will see me starting to sheet the top of the wing while its still fixed to the building board. This is the first time i have built a gull wing glider and using this method as shown in the photos has really made it easy for me. Those of you out there who have built these before will already have their favorite methods, so how does this method compare.
IMG_3448.JPG
IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3446.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hello everyone,
The right hand wing panels are getting closer to completion and as a motivational exercise i put the fuse and wings together to get a good look at the beautiful lines and shapes closely watched by the boss lady in the back ground. The two pieces of shapely ply will go together to form up the base for the seat. They are the last two bits left to go. Next job will be to finish off the gussetts and rib caps. Cheers.
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG
IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG
IMG_3471.JPG
IMG_3453.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

That is going to be a stunning model. Congratulations on your build and to Jilles for yet another master plan
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Thank you Cliff for reposting these photos. They show all the construction work to be finished and now its down to all the preparation work for covering and painting. The fuselage just needs fillets adding and it will be ready for glassing with 1.5oz glass cloth and 6oz cloth around the nose. The glue you can see in the bottle is all thats left from those two, plus iv'e used about 300grams of epoxy.
Lawrie.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

A little more progress being made. I have to admit that this phase of the build is not one of my favorite pastimes but it has to be done and I don't know anyone that will do it for me. So, I will glass and prepare for painting back to the masking tape you can see on the wing, top and bottom. I will then mask up the open structure and apply the first coat of primer. Then I will remove masking and the tape and prepare the open structure for covering with solartex. Once covered the covering be masked up and the join blended in and undercoats and top coats applied. Sounds easy when its written like this but the reality of it is it will probably take me 3-4 weeks to do what I have just written in 2 minutes.
Happy days.

Fuselage is all glassed up
Fuselage is all glassed up
Starting to glass bottom of wings
Starting to glass bottom of wings
All glassed up back to the masking tape
All glassed up back to the masking tape
First fill coat applied to fuselage
First fill coat applied to fuselage
Sanding will be done with 120 grit paper
Sanding will be done with 120 grit paper
Hopefully only one more coat will be needed