• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/3rd Scale Olympia 2b from Jilles Smits

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Barry Atkinson

1/3rd Scale Olympia 2b from Jilles Smits

Post by Barry Atkinson »

I've long wanted to build a model of the 'Oly 2b'. A couple of fellow 625 VGS instructors, who I flew with at South Cerney had shares in one. Even though it was already a dated machine during the 1980's, it was still revered as a good club soarer.
I have a few old photos and it's the one I will likely model.

This is a Beta build to try out the Laser kit for Cliff at LaserCut Sailplanes from a plan by Jilles ....one of several types of his on threads at the moment.
A few pics to follow of the basic airframe, but for now my only comment is - "Jilles is a genius". The woodwork goes together like nothing I've ever seen before. Progress is quick... (high build speed is not something normally associated with me :roll: )

Barry A
Barry Atkinson

Re: 1/3rd Scale Olympia 2b from Jilles Smits

Post by Barry Atkinson »

Starting to jig up the Fuselage
Starting to jig up the Fuselage
IMG_2399.jpg
The tailplane mounting - ready to be added
The tailplane mounting - ready to be added
I've used threaded inserts (M4) rather than captive nuts
I've used threaded inserts (M4) rather than captive nuts
Pretty much there with the basics
Pretty much there with the basics
Barry Atkinson

Post by Barry Atkinson »

A mere 51 clamps to glue one of the main spars in!
A mere 51 clamps to glue one of the main spars in!
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Thank You for the comment. Not sure If I am a Genius. Just design the gliders with past building experiences of myself in mind including what to avoid learned from mishaps. Some designs have features requested by Cliff Evans that seem to be local preferences. The use of Solidworks CAD software is a help but not recommended for newcomers using CAD.
With today's Laser cut kits things go together fast and accurate initially but planking and finishing will still take time
shinck

Post by shinck »

Very nice.
I am presently repairing my 1/4-scale from the Australian plan (2.4 radio stopped working). One of the best flying sailplanes I have had.
Will be keeping track of this 1/3 version as far as plan and parts availability.

Scott
Malcolm B

Post by Malcolm B »

Hi Barry
How about an update on the Jilles Oly build.
I am about to commence mine and need the inside gen!
SedB

Post by SedB »

By the looks of it, this kit comes with all the jigs used to build the fuselage on?
That is rather nice!
Malcolm B

Post by Malcolm B »

Marvellous thing lockdown - it means progress on building projects!
Construction is now virtually complete with days of filling, fairing, sanding and fettling before covering.
The build has been a real pleasure due to the wonderful design by Jilles and the quality of the Lasercut Sailplanes parts.
Cliff also assisted with some 3d printed parts for the elevator mechanism and airbrakes.
I elected to use the patented Greenfield method of wrapping the leading edges with ply and using a hot iron to adhere the PVA adhesive which worked well. The only issue I encountered was whereas the 0.8mm ply wrapped like a dream, the 0.4mm ply was a doddle, the 0.6mm ply was a witch to wrap in spite of using the same boiling water softening procedure. Looking closely I think the 0.6mm ply has a wavy grain causing splitting and uneven bending. Scary work about to commence on the canopy which is slightly complicated by the "ears."
I caved in eventually and went down the Taranis route to enable variometry. Yes I know "told you so..."
Jilles computer calculates the airframe weight to work out to 7.5kg which would seem to be about spot on, assuming this is an uncovered, unballasted weight and even after finishing should result in a proper floater, just like it's full sized sister.
Looking forward to flying it at some juncture.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Photo's Malcolm!!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Malcolm B

Post by Malcolm B »

Some photos to follow soon