Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Re: 1/4 Jantar

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Pete Marsden

Post by Pete Marsden »

Just to prove it (see 'ASH-25) - the wings following glassing and now being primed. I use 2k high build primer applied by roller - works well and saves both paint and dangerous fog.
Also re-doing the canopy - note the sun tan on the AH pilot! Why does this happen to some but not others?
(One day I'll work out how to use a camera as well!)
Cheers
Pete.
Attachments
IMGP0627.JPG
IMGP0629.JPG
IMGP0630.JPG
IMGP0632.JPG

Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Interesting 2K application technique Pete - do you do the top coat like that too?

I think the AH pilot must be from their "Calypso" range!....

Simon

Pete Marsden

Post by Pete Marsden »

Hi Simon,
Yes, but note this is 2k, NOT K&B Super-epoxy.
The primed surface MUST be clean. I lightly rub it down just before top coat with 500 dry paper* to remove any chance of contamination and then use a tak rag to remove the dust.

*(I actually use 'Mirka' abrasives - I cannot recommend these enough, especially if you have any form of extraction including an old hoover - take a look at their website or Axminster Power Tools website.)

Then two thinned topcoats 20 mins apart at >20'c.
Once set, (give it at least 6 hours), a light coat of black acrylic (aerosol)**guide coat, W&D with 600 and lots of soap until the black has gone.
More black then W&D with 1200; repeat with 2000 and then G6 cutting compound.
This doesn't take as long as it sounds - I spend much longer getting the primer right using a similar method.
**Be careful with this - it can 'etch' leading to over-sanding, so hold the can well away from the surface to 'dust' the panel with dry paint. If you know anyone in the car body repair business, get a pot of blacking from them. This is basically 'magnetic' (don't really know how it sticks) black powder applied with a sponge giving the same result.

Also note: This 2k paint is not what it used to be. cellulose thinner will damage it even years later.

Hope this helps.

Pete