• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Minimoa MO2a -Chris Williams plan and Cliff Evans kit

Let us all watch your new project progress.
mick a

Re: minimoa mo2a -chris williams plan and cliff evans kit

Post by mick a »

thanks chris
thought i was going nuts !!
will await the out come , thought was strange as rest of it all fits perfect
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

P1050216.jpg
P1240154.JPG
IMG_2449 copy.jpg
IMG_2516 copy.jpg
Having seen that two other ribs are slightly misaligned, the cause of the problem is obvious: despite my careful cutting out of the slots, the slight discrepancies involved in the manual creation of the ribs are the culprit. This is exacerbated by the depth of the spars, which are so specified as to make the glueing area at the gull join sufficient for the job. The solution should be relatively simple: ease out the slots for the upper spar to allow the ribs to take up their proper position. The inner panel ribs will be aligned by the two TE segments and the flap spar; the outer panel ribs will be aligned by the aileron spar. (I have always done this without fiddling with the slots: presumably the spruce is flexible enough to take up any of the differences)
In the case of the MO2a, when the wing is locked into shape with the addition of the top sheeting, the two short lengths of TE either side of the flap are clamped to a straight edge whilst the glue dries...

The foregoing must be true, I have a hangar full of wings that say so!
mick a

Post by mick a »

thanks chris
just to get it correct, i should make the slots in the root ribs 1b wider so they fit onto the short
trailing edge at root , and the same for the 1c ribs ?
the ribs you show in pics are for the outer wing , not built that as yet
when i pin the spar on the plan the back of all r1 ribs are off the plan, which seems correct as the shape of ribs dictates this , if i cut the slots in 1b and 1c to fit to the short trailing edge , i will then have a gap at the top spar ( i can always fill this )
have tried again and still twists
just going to glue all up and try to get twists out later as just going round in circles
just looks like lots of washout on inner wing
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Wing twist at this stage is irrelevant. It's not until the wing is on the jig supports and the top sheeting added that it all gets locked in place. As it stands at the moment you can twist the wing in any direction you like!
mick a

Post by mick a »

that’s one way of putting it Cliff
it will get there , just can’t seem to get it to work at the moment , so think will just leave it for a while - hope the balsa gods will sort it
mick a

Post by mick a »

thanks Chris
will do that , the spar won’t twist at the root
rib , as the joiner box is there and it’s solid
just concerned about lack of contact from the first 3 ribs at the root as wanted this to be strong and it seems i have to keep adding little bits in , it just doesn’t seem strong and it looks like i’m just bodging it up as i go along
but keep going
Tom Pack

Post by Tom Pack »

mick a wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 12:25 thanks Chris
will do that , the spar won’t twist at the root
rib , as the joiner box is there and it’s solid
just concerned about lack of contact from the first 3 ribs at the root as wanted this to be strong and it seems i have to keep adding little bits in , it just doesn’t seem strong and it looks like i’m just bodging it up as i go along
but keep going
Do 1 of 2 things........1 cut a whole new rib with the correct spar slots.....or 2 cut a partial rib and double up the area where the gaps are from making the existing rib “fit”.
mick a

Post by mick a »

yea i think that’s what i will do
although already cut 4 new ones ,
just want to be sure all in correct place
with the root ribs etc as once all glued in
that’s it ,so just trying to figure out a
point to measure everything straight from
as every time so far (4 attempts ) it’s been wrong eithe trailing edge spar to high / too low
etc etc
hopefully will do
mick a

Post by mick a »

6BE64E89-AD9B-4F53-8E0F-350054E032D4.jpeg
4E5A2863-1DC6-4174-BD2C-AC98AC458F4A.jpeg
E82E3D63-BA6B-436B-B3B9-EDD8718010B3.jpeg
ok here goes
have tried 5th attempt at wing , still twisted , not sure what to do now ,as tried everything i can think of , i know a slight twist is ok
but i have a difference of 20 mm from root to outer rib , just on inner wing , if i glue (which i have tried ) , when twist back as though on jig it pulls the ribs or even break some
any advice would be great as just can’t get it
and can’t get on with anything else until done inner wings
mick a

Post by mick a »

think i have found the problem , just need a solution
as you can see from photos , the trailing edge of ribs will not fit on the trailing edge
if i put ribs to trailing edge as should be it sets a twist like a dogs hind leg
these pics are with the spars straight
any ideas would be a great help
main problem is that i have to use inner wings to set incedence with wing box
so just concerned if wings twisted -incedence will be wrong
68C44B8E-2CD5-4F4F-88E4-B4D5980E4DE7.jpeg
6A7E4890-2F7A-4A44-B0D2-26AAFA26B58C.jpeg
9B96A90A-4950-40A4-B8B1-C4EDDF33DEB1.jpeg
52EE50E4-E773-41D1-A0A3-7008A6C8AE85.jpeg