• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

M100S

Let us all watch your new project progress.
RobbieB

Re: M100S

Post by RobbieB »

Thanks for that Vince but I don't think the canopy is going to fit :lol:

However, I do have a couple of flying buddies in Frodsham, hmmm.................................
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

......anyway, too late now, already started my most favourite job (I think not).

IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG

There won't be a sanding block goes near that lot in the workshop! My wife's best kitchen knife, that's ok - well, with me anyway :evil:
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Can't wait to see that canopy..!!!!!!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

BC
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Yep, a bit scary Barry but still struggling to escape from my 'Cubist' era.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

IMG_0064.JPG

Looking a bit more like a canopy plug now - lots to do yet though.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Making good use of all that space up the front.

IMG_0068.JPG
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Although having done two custom canopy plugs before very successfully they were a lot more conventional in shape. This M100 canopy even made Barry at Sarik draw breath.

The problem, for my stage of the proceedings is the accepted method of isolating the blue foam from the polyester resin in the fibreglass reinforcing using parcel tape - hence my enquiry a little while ago re the use of epoxy resin (took good advice on that one).

The problem is, covering a shape like this one in parcel tape is not good - wrinkles everywhere there is a compound curve and on this plug there are a few acute ones.

IMG_0075.JPG

Not at all happy with the result so stripped it all of (together with the odd spot of foam).

I got to thinking, polyester resin should be fine with PVA so I coated a test piece of foam with three coats of undiluted PVA (cheapo stuff) and laid some cloth on it. Absolutely fine; no reaction with the resin at all and when I tried to pull it off it just destroyed the foam but didn't break the bond.

By-by parcel tape...................

IMG_0076.JPG
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Cliff, thanks for the very kind offer but I feel I would need to glass anyway with the plug being blue foam - at least two layers.

I will look at the Vac-cast stuff for the next one and think about using fibre board next time. Bad stuff though.......even outside.

Which particular resin do you use?
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Thanks Cliff - I get my epoxy and cloth from them.

Strewth, I see what you mean about pricey.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

As covering progresses (slowly - I know, much to everyone's surprise........................) the sensibility of leaving this the way it is haunts me a little. Very vulnerable - Scale Police notwithstanding of course.

Not really sure of its purpose - not an aerodynamic balance surely and do they have mass balances on rudders?

_DSC0004.JPG
_DSC0006.JPG