• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

M100S

Let us all watch your new project progress.
RobbieB

Re: M100S

Post by RobbieB »

IMG_0015_1.jpg
The trailing edge is a 0.4mm ply/6mm balsa/0.4mm ply sandwich - the balsa sanded to the rib taper when dry.
IMG_0014_1.jpg
The balsa inserts and the bottom ply laminate are clamped between two pieces of straight, 20x5mm pine strips when drying.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

A little progress, but progress nonetheless.

[youtube][/youtube]
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Blimey Robbie, even the Wookie is faster than you these days! Would you consider those brakes any less hassle to close than the scissor variety?
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Chris,

Yes, I'm afraid some stuff has got in the way of late but I am building a little momentum now (and before someone chips in, that's not a little known pre war sailplane).

The six sets of blades open and close very easily without the geometry problems of Schemp type brakes so there is little load on the servo. The front and rear sets are driven by their own pushrod connected via a transverse link so only a single rod to the servo is required.

The tricky bit is setting them up which is achieved by using a clevis for each blade so they can be adjusted independently. The problem is, it can't be done accurately until the brake box is secured in the wing as the blades are flopping around like a you know what on a trampoline until that is done, so it then makes final adjustment difficult in the confined space available. I don't think I'll be doing another one of these!

The picture below explains it better.
m100_brakes.jpg
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Better you than me Robbie, but it will look cool on approach.
Brian. :)
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Brake sheeting going on leaving each blade standing a little proud until the covering and a couple of coats of primer have been applied - then sanded back flush. A right chore!

I seem to remember when I did my M200 I applied each piece of sheeting to include one set of blades complete but I've found this time it is very time consuming trying to get two slots accurately positioned in one piece of ply so individual blades at a time it is.
brake_sheeting.jpg
terry white

Post by terry white »

This is excellent work Robbie, a lesson in modelling perfection, Flying friends from Middle Wallop tell me that if I were to ask you really nicely you would build me one!! :D :D
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Terry,

By the time I get these b****y brakes boxed off and I can concentrate on getting the the rest of the model finished I think I will just about be ready to take a life - probably my own!!

Coming up the Mynd this year?
terry white

Post by terry white »

Robbie, don't get into too much of a tis-was over those dam brakes,I hear Graupner or multiplex still have some they will sell you,and if you'r still looking to take a life I'm not coming any where near Shropshire for a couple of years. :lol: :lol:

Joking aside Lindy and I enjoyed all your guys company so much last year that we hope to attend both get togethers this year, so cook me a sausage for supper, medium rare. :lol: :lol: ter.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Wing tip block retaining plates.

Like the full size, the frise aileron outer hinge pivot is incorporated into this but unlike the full size this is obviously removable. Withdraw the two bolts, the tip block comes off and the aileron can then be removed should needs be.

Unlike the full size I will not be replicating the tip protectors with tie down holes as I got fed up with them getting ripped off my 200 during heather slope landings.

The plates to trim to size and balsa blocks to add.
end_plate_1.jpg
end_plate_2.jpg