Slingsby T.50 Skylark 4

Let us all watch your new project progress.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Slingsby T.50 Skylark 4

Post by VinceC » 27 Nov 2018, 08:56

Very smooth

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 28 Nov 2018, 14:22

My timber order has arrived and wing building has been able to proceed. The centre section of the wing is now complete and sanded to shape. The airbrakes open fully and close down and lock in place. I still have to create the faring that fits over the centre of the wing to fare it into place with the fuselage. That will probably have to be tackled next. :?
While I was waiting on the arrival of my timber I spent a little time on the instrument panel. I am not after total scale accuracy, I just wanted something that looked reasonably like the full size. An hour or so with my camera and photoshop produced a respectable replica.
Brian. :)
Attachments
SL4_41.jpg
Completed centre section
SL4_42.jpg
Brakes Open
SL4_43.jpg
SL4_44.jpg
Instrument panel

GeeW

Post by GeeW » 28 Nov 2018, 18:37

I hope that is not a water ballast tank thermometer that appears at the bottom of the instrument panel? :shock:

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 28 Nov 2018, 23:31

Well spotted GW ! It was all part of a retro fit completed on the 35th February of next year.
Brian :D

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 02 Dec 2018, 13:25

I have now dealt with the wing fixing problem. Mike Trew had originally detailed a hidden system constructed with plastic brackets on the underside of the wing and threaded plastic blocks bolted into the fuselage. Most of these off the shelf items no longer exist so I opted to adopt a similar system but using custom made metal brackets instead.
A custom metal bracket is screwed to the underside of the main spar. This has holes on it’s front face for 5mm “alan key” headed bolts” to pass through. A custom metal bracket is screwed to the internal structure of the fuselage. This also has corresponding holes in it’s front face which have been tapped for 5mm bolts. When the wing is in place the faces of the two brackets sit within 1mm of each other. The “alan key” headed bolts are inserted from the cockpit and screwed into place. It all seems tight and secure.
I have also spent some time creating the over-wing fairing which will eventually be glued to the wing. This will get some final sanding once the canopy glazing has been fixed to the canopy frame to provide a guide.
Brian. :)
Attachments
SL4_45.jpg
Wing Joiner bracket screwed into the fuselage.
SL4_46.jpg
Wing Joiner bracket screwed to the wing.
SL4_47.jpg
View from the cockpit with the wing screwed in place.
SL4_48.jpg
Over-wing fairing.

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » Yesterday, 15:31

I have now completed the second wing outer panel and finalised all the joiners. This afternoon I managed the first full assembly of the airframe and it appears to be pretty much Ok. In fact I am quite chuffed with the look of the glider at the moment. Also, it is very light! 8-) 8-) 8-)

I have also now cut the right aileron from the wing panel. The wing still feels quite ridged but the aileron is very floppy. I will continue to face it up in the hope that it gets a little stronger. :? :? :?
Brian.
Attachments
SL4_49.jpg
SL4_50.jpg
SL4_51.jpg

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Yesterday, 21:43

Looks lovely Brian. If you fancy chucking it off the hill the full-size first flew off... just drop in.

Probably worth covering it first though. :D

Keep posting - happy to watch your progress.

RobbieB

Post by RobbieB » Yesterday, 23:05

Ah those Skylarks, don't you just love 'em.

Looks really nice Brian.

John Vella

Post by John Vella » Today, 10:33

Good build Brian. I hope it flies as well as the full-size. I have happy memories of the "Wooden Nimbus" ,with Phil my CFI flying his Skylark4 and me in my Discus scratching together in light conditions on Edge Hill. Regards John.