SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jilles

Re: SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Post by Jilles » 08 Mar 2019, 05:30

O yes we just have a record of 45 days in a row of temperatures between 30-38 degrees C. This also slows down the building time of the Nimbus

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 08 Mar 2019, 08:45

Nice seeing the project coming together. This is going to be something different.

Jilles

Post by Jilles » 11 Apr 2019, 04:06

Not many new things to report. the R.H wing built is in progress along the same lines as shown earlier in this thread for the L.H wing
Attached pictures show the second wing. The Balsa leading edge has been sanded into shape. I did this outside to prevent the workshop becoming a dust bowl. The wing is now back on the building board and ready for the top plywood planking.
Temperatures are now in the mid 20's so much more pleasant to be in the workshop and outside
Attachments
W60.jpg
W61.jpg

Jilles

Post by Jilles » 15 Jun 2019, 08:02

Hi all. it has been a while. The second wing is now done. the tail bits are built and test fitted. A start was made on the canopy frame. I received the canopy from the UK thanks to the help of Cliff. I decided to make the hinges myself from 3 mm alu strip and angle. A 1.5mm (1/16") hole was drilled in the hinge blades. 1/16" spring wire is used as hinge pins. The fuselage part of the hinges are epoxied in 3 mm ply pockets inside the fuse.
The fuse is curved in that area so the hinges are at an angle with the fuse surface but inline with each other. A 2 mm holes was drilled through the canopy cockpit base and hinges and a 2 mm pin fitted to lock it all in place
the canopy hinge parts are epoxied to the frame and locked with a servo screw for extra security. A latch of 3 mm alu strip was fitted to the other side to keep the canopy locked with a standard brass spring loaded canopy lock. The original glider canopy had a large sliding window at that side. The model will have the same for access to the lock bar. To restrict the opening angle of the canopy a 1/16" piano wire at the rear of the canopy will take care of this. A string or leather strip could do this but from experience I know they will get stuck between all type of parts in that area.
Attachments
F079.jpg
tail bits are made and test fitted
F080.jpg
canopy hinges from 3 mm alu strip
F081.jpg
hinges in fuse pockets and pinned
F082.jpg
latch for the canopy lock
F083.jpg
canopy frame in place and hinged
F084.jpg