SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Post Reply
User avatar
chris williams
Posts: 898
Joined: 10 Mar 2015, 10:50
Location: Blandford Dorset

Re: SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Post by chris williams » 09 Jul 2019, 11:38

Good job, Jilles...have you calculated how much Pb you will need in the nose? !2Kg seems tad optimistic?

Jilles
Posts: 152
Joined: 22 Mar 2015, 10:27
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Post by Jilles » 10 Jul 2019, 06:00

the model was weighted when is was all together. With all equipment includes except for 2 receivers it was 9.2 kg. required balance was close to 2 kg, but not cover and paint included in all this. The plan is to finish and paint tail bits and wings, prime the fuse, than workout the balance weight minus 10%. I made a plaster mould to cast the lead to fit in the 3D printed nose cone. I add only 90% of the required balance in the nose before it is fitted for good. The other 10% will be in a ballast chamber just behind F1 so I can adjust either way as deemed necessary.
I wish I could give the model to Crish W. because he is very good in finishing and I am just average in that department.
Because the wings are in one piece there needs to be a special box fabricated for the wing transport because the tray on my Toyota Ute is only 2.4 m long.

User avatar
chris williams
Posts: 898
Joined: 10 Mar 2015, 10:50
Location: Blandford Dorset

Re: SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Post by chris williams » 10 Jul 2019, 08:51

Looking forward to the final result, Jilles...

Jilles
Posts: 152
Joined: 22 Mar 2015, 10:27
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Post by Jilles » 11 Jul 2019, 03:03

Fitted the sliding window in the canopy. I had a scale 1:3 version in stock from TopModel Cz. The screws as specified as M1.2 but are actually M1
I did drill a test hole of 1 mm and found out they just fell through the hole. So a mini drill set was purchased and it worked out that a 0.8 mm drill did the trick
On the sliding window were two studs .These only allowed the sliding part to go into the rail by 1 mm only . I removed the studs so the sliding window can make full use of the groove depth in the rails. Hole were carefully drilled and rails fitted. All works well. There is however no lock in closed position so I presume if could be blown open by the airflow.
The finishing job of the model will now start in earnest.
Attachments
F107.jpg
F108.jpg
F109.jpg

User avatar
Cliff Evans
Posts: 1591
Joined: 13 Mar 2015, 10:32
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Post by Cliff Evans » 11 Jul 2019, 07:01

Great work as usual! Nice clear canopy!

Post Reply