• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Fabricating glass sleeves for round wing joiners**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jilles

Fabricating glass sleeves for round wing joiners**

Post by Jilles »

There was a question on Glider guiders how to make glass sleeves for wing joiners. This is how I do this for tube or solid rod joiners.
The sl# on each action refers to attached pictures.
sl1 cut a piece of thin butcher paper 100mm longer then length of required sleeve, with a width to suit the joiner circumference. a 2-4mm overlap is o.k, paper must be very thin.
sl2 wrap paper around joiner with grease .
sl3 Fit 3M Magic tape (3/4" or 19 mm wide) lengthwise on top of paper , 3 or 4 lengths are required subject to diameter of joiner. 2-4 mm overlaps.
sl4 get some release agent.
sl5 rub release agent on surface of fitted tape
sl6 make some temp gadget so the joiner overhangs your building board and be able to rotate the joiner.
sl7 cut a sheet of glass at least 50 mm wider then required sleeve length. the length of the glass sheet needs some calculations
I use 80gr/m2 glass and prefer 1 mm thick sleeve wall . I need 8 layers of mentioned glass to get 1 mm wall. at say a 20 mm joiner the circumference lenght is 63 mm with 8 layers required the glass sheet needs to be 500 mm long.
sl8 use your preferred epoxy or resin.
sl9 place one end of the glass sheet on the joiner with epoxy or resin. make sure the side edges are perpendicular to the joiner.
sl10 slowly rotate the joiner while adding epoxy or resin evenly with a roller. make sure air is pushed out and make sure it is even.
Fabricating glass sleeves for round wing joiners.pdf
(235.01 KiB) Downloaded 66 times