Fauvel AV48

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Sean Fitzgibbon

Re: Fauvel AV48

Post by Sean Fitzgibbon » 26 Apr 2019, 19:30

Hi Robbie,
I agree with you completely regarding the issues of alignment of the ribs! I had in fact been in the process of adjusting individual ribs at the spar joint positions, just felt wrong sanding laser cut edges. Also, because ailerons make up a large percentage of panel, there isn't a lot of trailing edge to sight along. I can't help but think that leaving the ribs whole and perhaps incorporating jigging tabs would have been more accurate.
We have two nights a week in our clubroom until we start evening club flying sessions in a week or two, so I'll soon know how straight it is!
At our last session I even pointed out to Frank Skilbeck and Roger Spragg your build thread because it showed that it can be done that way.

Sean Fitzgibbon

Re: Fauvel AV48

Post by Sean Fitzgibbon » 07 May 2019, 20:11

So, after mulling over the rib alignment, I decided to use a combination of methods.
Firstly, the inboard whole ribs were glued to the main spar after their mating faces were adjusted to allow their trailing edges to line up correctly.
Next, the tip rib was glued into position, lined up by sighting a straight edge down the trailing edge.
The tapered aileron sub spar was then cut and the inboard end relieved top and bottom to allow the formed end to fit between the inboard spruce sub spars.
A few intermediate ribs then had their front edges gently sanded to allow their trailing edges to meet the aileron spar.
This has been left to dry until our next club building session, at which time I'll add the last ribs and cut out the aileron parts.
Thanks again to Robbie and Doug who have been great at chipping in with advice, and to my clubmates, who have talked me down off the ledge when frustration was at its peak!!
Attachments
IMG_20190506_205029203.jpg