• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Breguet Fauvette

Let us all watch your new project progress.
RobbieB

Re: Breguet Fauvette

Post by RobbieB »

Ah, I missed the ply/balsa laminate bit.

You could always put a drop of thin cyno onto the former/support mating faces - both sides once you have them lined up correctly. Separating them later will be easy enough with a razor saw or good blade. That, together with the clamps should hold them fast. Just make sure you put the cyno where you can get at it later with the razor saw.

Some of the clamps have probably been removed in that photo to be used for something else. I normally clamp each one but don't necessarily support every former:
m100_jig.JPG

I used 'T' type supports on the M100 around the three main wing mounting formers to position the main longerons accurately as they were the fuselage datum.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Robbie is right (once again). Once the bottom longeron is in place on the supports a little spot of cyano between the support and the former lends security when they are clamped up. If you check out my Skylark 4 build - on page 2 there are several photos of my jig and clamp setup. It is definitely fiddly at 1/5 scale but it can be done.
Brian. :)
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Thanks chaps, that's a very good tip re. the cyano to hold the formers in place.

I spent the afternoon getting everything aligned using a straight edge clamped to a builders square that I could move down the line of formers setting the datum on each one. I've dry fitted all the longerons and keel so feel confident I can move on to glueing it up.

Yes Brian it is fiddly and I'm also very conscious of how delicate a structure this is, a consequence of the 1/5 scale I guess, I'll feel a lot happier when it's sheeted up!
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

A little more progress, slow but steady, I'm finding this quite a tricky build possibly due to the scale, Mike Trew has I think designed it to be a light build which makes for a delicate structure - the elevators particularly so. Also I'm having to do a lot of "fettling" where parts are not matching up too well, the plan is very heavily drawn and a bit "furry" so transfering to photocopier and then to wood before being subjected to my "Dremeling" skills leaves me with a heavy filing and sanding workload!

Anyway the fuselage is now glued up and appears to be un-banana like, so far so good:
Glued up fus.JPG

Before I can do much more work on the fus I need to have some flying surfaces to hand, so next job was the tailplane and ruddervators, a micro servo installed in each half, set-up a V-tail program on my Taranis to make sure all was working correctly before skinning:
TP servo mounted.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG

Then on with the open structure ruddervators:
RV.JPG

Soft balsa tips were added and the mounting hardware fabricated from 1.5mm aluminium sheet:
TP tips.JPG
TP fixings.JPG

Final job today was to add the spruce angled cockpit longerons/canopy support:
Cockpit.JPG
Last edited by StephenB on 16 Feb 2019, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

It’s coming on well Stephen :)
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Good progress! I don't know why you feel that you are going slowly - some of our contributors take years to get that far, don't they Barry. :D :D :D
Brian. :)
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Phew! That was a close one...................
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

A bit more action on the Fauvette front to report. The V-tail has been a long winded exercise with a lot of fiddling to get it set up correctly, the ruddervators are very delicate and don't take kindly to frequent handling/fettling so I was glad to finally get them covered:

TP covered.JPG

The tailplane halves slot nicely onto the rear facing fixing bolts and are aligned with a single stud at the front, a tailcone sits here which is removeable on the original but as I have no linkages to connect I will bond it permanently in place:

TP fixing detail.jpeg

I have gone as far as I can with the fuselage, wing joiner is dry fitted, cables are installed for the ruddervators, so before sheeting can commence I need to have the wings available.

Wing joiner.JPG

Wing joiner boxes have been epoxied together, modified from the plan to allow for the shallower aerofoil:

Wing joiner boxes.JPG

Wings next and I need to make a decision on the brakes, I'll most likely install the pop-up "door" type (non scale of course) to simplify the build and make the model more prang resistant. If I aim to keep the same area of vane as the original scale brakes they come out at a size of 300mm x 30mm - does that seem sensible?
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Wing ribs have been cut out after a false start whereby I realised half way through the starboard wing batch that my printer had produced them at it's default setting of 97%! Half a day and a bit of balsa wasted. Spruce spars and trailing edge spliced and all ready to go.

Dry fitted lower spar and ribs on the plan to check fit and now ready to start glueing up but I'm dithering over the build sequence which I think goes like this:

Glue ribs on to bottom main spar and lower aileron spruce spar, glue false leading edge and spruce trailing edge which will be packed up to suit.

Glue top balsa trailing edge in place, slot out root ribs and epoxy in place the wing joiner box, glue top main spar in place.

Webbing around the wing joiner box - epoxy in place at same time as the box goes in?

At around this point I need to remove the wing to get the bottom sheeting on but doubt it will be very stable so do I web the whole wing prior to removing and sheeting?

At which point should I seperate the aileron?

Wing dry fit.JPG
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Stephen,

It is preferable to get to the stage where you can add the top sheeting - that obviously includes all the false LE stuff, webbing etc while the structure is still on the board. This ensures the spar remains straight and doesn't bend.

To do the bottom sheeting the wing will, of course, have to come off the board and you will probably be quite alarmed at how twisty is is. This is quite normal and will be remedied once the lower sheeting is added. To do this, the wing must be placed back on the board, upside down and the structure supported with the correct incidences while you add the lower sheeting so you don't introduce any adverse twist into the structure. You can either do this by making full profile supports for the appropriate positions or use a wedge system as I usually do as shown below - just make sure the blocks and wedges are well secured and don't move.

top_sheeting.jpg
Once it is all dry the wing can finally be removed from the board.

It is of course, not actually necessary to buid a wing on a board at all:

wing_jig.JPG