• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

John Slater Airspeed Tern

Let us all watch your new project progress.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: John Slater Airspeed Tern

Post by VinceC »

Barry - there is a lot of information in the Docs section

https://scalesoaring.co.uk/airspeed-type-s-1-tern/
Barry Apostolou

Post by Barry Apostolou »

Hi Vince,

Thanks for that, I did not know information was there, I just got stuff from the internet. Makes interesting reading.

Barry
john slater

Post by john slater »

Evening Barry,
It would seem that my Tern has a 'twin' a very handsome one, I would like Vince point you in the direction of the docs.there you will find several photos which show in detail quite a lot of detail, and in particular the windshield, which is not framed but a one piece curved windshield. If you are aware of a framed windshield then please share the details, both with Vince and myself.
It is looking very good and wish you well with the wings, John Greenfields video article is first class regarding ply application.
A great build thread, and photos, keep it coming.
Kind regards
John
Barry Apostolou

Hi John,

Thanks a lot. When I get ready for the wings (if it is OK with you) I will post any questions I may have on this thread. Have many other guys built your plan? it is not a model that appears on the slope frequently.

Re-the wind shield, I cannot remember where I got the detail for a framed wind screen. Some where on my internet searches I recall a picture with this, it may well have been on the mark 11 where they put a closed cockpit on the Tern, I am not sure. Also as the aircraft was sold on it may have been other owners that made a modification. My surprise was that given its success there were not more Terns made. Perhaps the war put an end to 'social gliding' ??!!

The wind shield looks 'OK-ish'; but I am not certain. I may leave it or revert to the first option. Often I try something that is relatively easy to alter leave it on the model for a while and work around it to see if it 'rings my bell' if not I will try something else.

I did this with the different stain shades, however I would not do that again, as it did not come out as well as I thought, although acceptable in the final model. Thank you for your comments and advice they are much appreciated.

All the best

Barry A
Last edited by Barry Apostolou on 12 Nov 2019, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Apostolou

Hey John,

I probably misunderstood what I read, and maybe that it was the only glider that was modified with a cockpit and then sold off.

I just looked again on 'Wikepedia' and they do say that 2 were made. They also say that a third was made (after the war) from the parts of the other two. if you 'google' Airspeed Tern you will see all the hits that I got when I tried to get more information.

However the trouble with the internet is that information can be recorded with no one checking if it is correct. Not being particularly good on computers, I understand from others that Wikipedia can be more trusted.

Still half the fun is the research.

All the best

Barry
Last edited by Barry Apostolou on 12 Nov 2019, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
john slater

Post by john slater »

Barry ,

Cliff has very kindly in his last post, included a link to the documents of everything about the Tern, a very compressive history of the Tern and Airspeed which has been meticulously put together by Vince.
When I started the Tern project back in 1993 I was very fortunate to be in touch with a man named Roger Reffell whose father flew it in the 1930's and he kindly allowed me access to all he had when his father flew it, which included a lot of photographic negatives, unfortunately not all were useable but I did mange to get printed quite a few very important ones, particularly of the post war Tern, which I think was salvaged and put together from what was left of the two pre war Terns.
All of the photos have been forwarded on to Vince who has done even more research to compile a truly impressive documental history.
Please view this document, you will find it both informative and interesting.
Kind regards

John
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Just to add a tiny bit more meat to the bones - from Norman Ellison's book 'British Gliders and Sailplanes 1922 -1970':

airspeed_tern.pdf
(82.08 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Barry Apostolou

Thanks Guys,

For all that information, it makes interesting reading for an interesting model. Well I have very nearly completed the fuselage including all the bits on the wing fairings. Just a final finishing coat of Poly-C to go.

Does anyone of you have any pictures or advice re-the wing lay out? I have not studied the plan in detail yet; but a quick look showed it needs to be jigged up to a certain height at a particular wing rib, I have assumed this to be same for the entire wing chord and although the wing top is straight, the rising ribs will create a level of dihedral within the wing section it self.

I will try and post pictures at a later date, but have been out flying this week (till the rain came) and have not progressed too much.

All the best and thanks for the feedback,

Barry
Last edited by Barry Apostolou on 12 Nov 2019, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
john slater

Post by john slater »

Hi Barry,

Re wing construction, I think most modellers have their own method, but if it helps this is my method.

Firstly with all the ribs available I construct the main spar, this can be done nice and straight on a good building board.

The spruce top and bottem pieces are clamped or pinned to the board I then add the vertical webbing to one side but only at every other rib spacing, ie. rib 1 to 2, 3 to 4, 5 to 6 and so on, the wing joiner is not fitted at this stage. when this is done the spar can then be lifted and positioned on the plan again keeping everything vertical straight and true, the wing construction can then begin.
I then slot each rib into the spar at the rib space and rotate it into position against the vertical webbing, 2 ribs into each space can be fitted, ie. ribs 2 & 3, ribs 4 & 5, and so on, rib 1 the root rib is not fitted at this stage but when the wing tip can be elevated and then it can be set at the required angle.
When fitting the ribs you must make sure to align the front and rear of each rib, and pay due attention to creating the washout at the tip rib.
The wing leading and trailing edges then fitted.
The remaining vertical webbing can be added and the wing joiner fitted and boxed in by setting the tip at the required height and using a spirit level to keep the joiner level before the ply `D ' box sheeting is applied.
This is a brief summary of my method and hope it is of help.

Kind regards

John
Barry Apostolou

Thank you very much John.

It will be of great help when I start the wings. I take it from what you say that the wing joiner box in the wing is set to ensure a dead level joining section for the stainless strip to go in, thus making the top of the wing dead straight.

I hope to start the wings sometime next week, I have been out today flying at Butser Hill (Petersfield on the A3) on a very blustery westerly wind, in the region of 15-20 mph, it was great fun. There was a good turnout of around 15 people there flying all sort of models, The Club that run the site is the Meon Valley Soaring Association (MVSA), I have been a member for quite a few years now, they also have westerly and northerly sites as well.

Thank you for taking the time to help it is appreciated,

All the best

Barry A