• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

John Slater Airspeed Tern

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Barry Apostolou

Re: John Slater Airspeed Tern

Post by Barry Apostolou »

Hi John,

All well with the progress so far. I enclose some pics of the completed fuselage. I have left the bottom front bit open to locate the ballast weight at the final balancing.

Will keep you updated as I progress with the wings.

All the best

Barry
Attachments
IMG_2611.JPG
IMG_2612.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
john slater

Post by john slater »

Hi Barry,
Looking good, at this rate you will be `airborne' quite soon, it looks very much like mine, I enclose a photo from the collection of negatives from Roger Refell.

Kind regards
John
Attachments
Airspeed Tern - 2017-03-02 at 11-36-35 copy.jpg
Barry Apostolou

Thanks for your comments John,

I am now preparing all the wing ribs, cutting holes for the wiring loom and lightening holes etc. I have today placed my order for wood for the spars etc from Balsa Cabin, they are able to supply in 48" length, so splices joint will be out towards the tips.

I am struggling a bit with how to proceed with the wing, I would like to build it 'on the board'. I see from the plan that I have to jig up, at wing rib 17 to the tune of 25 mm. My plan is to do two of these jigs one for the front lower spar and the other for the rear lower spar and simply build off these.

I can then incorporate any wash out as I go out to the tip via an additional packing piece. In this way I plan that the top of the wing will be dead level and any dihedral is via the decreasing thickness of the wing towards the tip. What do you think? :?:

I have tried to follow your instructions and build the spar first, but I am not certain I understand exactly how. :?: This is a method I have never used, and I feel uncertain that my understanding is clear. Still; I have lot more thinking to do about this. It will take me a week or so the get all the wing ribs lightened etc. I plan to use servos in the wing and not bell cranks as per the plan.

Getting out of the workshop this weeks as well, I Will be flying tomorrow and on Friday, thanks for the encouragement

All the best

Barry
john slater

Post by john slater »

Hi Barry,
The way you discuss your proposed building process is as I have said really, I prefabricate the main and rear spars, to set up on your jigs so to speak,
but I do not add all the vertical webbing to the spar, only every other rib space webbing so you have a gap in the spar to slide in through the gaps the ribs before adding the remaining vertical webbing to the spars.
By doing it this way I can keep the ribs in one piece, and like you say you can build in the washout on your jigs, I do leave the root rib till the spars are in position to be able to set it at the correct angle.
Kind regards
John
Barry Apostolou

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply, that is great. I agree with you, that we are both talking about the same thing; so I will proceed as discussed.

One further question - How important is the wash-out in your opinion?- given that on landing I will use air-brakes and raised ailerons. This will in effect wash-out the wing for landing.

So I suppose the real question being; is washout vital for general flying?

Having said that; it is no problem to add a few degrees.

John, thank you for your feedback.

All the best

Barry
john slater

Post by john slater »

Hi Barry,
I would say washout is vital, please build in washout as on the plan, the Tern will fly quite `sedately ' so washout is needed in the turns.

Kind regards
John
Barry Apostolou

I will do that John, and will build in wash out as stated on the plan.

Barry
Last edited by Barry Apostolou on 12 Nov 2019, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Apostolou

Hi John,

Lots of flying this week and last. So not too much time in the workshop But I am now splicing all the wing spars, leading edges and trailing edges ready for both wings. I have cut the lightening holes in one set of ribs and will start on the the other set soon. The brass wing joiner boxes are cut to size and ready for fitting.

Am I correct in saying the only dihedral on the Tern; is the wing tapering in thickness to the tip from the bottom; the top being level?

So just the wing 'jigging pieces' to make and I will be ready to start getting the wings together. As per your advice I will l remember to add wash out.

All the best

Barry
john slater

Post by john slater »

Hi Barry,
Sorry about delay , we have been on holiday for a couple of weeks, in answer to your question about dihedral I did put a 1" block under the wing tip to give a slight dihedral, in flight this will not be noticed but will aid stability.
Kind regards
John
Barry Apostolou

Thanks John,

Hope you have had a good holiday. Yes I will probably do the same re-the dihedral. Not too much progress to report. But both sets of wing spars have been completed and all the ribs have been prepared ready with the cable holes etc.

I have been doing a lot of flying recently while the weather has been good, so my time in the work shop has been cut down. this will pick up as we move into autumn and winter.

All the best

Barry