• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/5 Scale Slingsby T51 Dart 17.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
B Sharp

Re: 1/5 Scale Slingsby T51 Dart 17.

Post by B Sharp »

This has to be the slowest build that I have ever done. However it has been bucketing rain today so I have managed to spend several hours in the workshop.
The wing joiner boxes and their packing pieces were slid into place and glued up. At the moment there is no easy way for me to check their alignment so I will just have to trust in the laser cutting. The webbing between the spars has been added, 1/16 ply at the wing root and 1/16 balsa the rest of the way to the tip.
The upper leading edge sheeting has been glued and pinned in place. I nearly ran out of pins! I also cut out the slots for the airbrakes and dry – fitted the assembly in place. I have uses 0.225 electric units from “Gliders” as I have found them to be reliable in the past and it saves me messing about with servos and pushrods.
The weather forecast for the next few days is a bit variable so I suspect I will get some more of the upper surface sheeting in place quite soon.
Brian. :) :) :)
Attachments
Wing joiner box and packing.
Wing joiner box and packing.
Webbing completed.
Webbing completed.
Upper LE sheeting glued & pinned in place.
Upper LE sheeting glued & pinned in place.
Slot cut in ribs for brake assembly.
Slot cut in ribs for brake assembly.
Electric brake dry-fitted.
Electric brake dry-fitted.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Looking good Brian. 🙂👍
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

The top surface sheeting is now almost complete and has been trimmed up round the edges. The more observant among you will have noticed that I have opted for the more scale like open structure inner trailing edge rather than the all sheeted version. Having said that, at fifty feet no-one will know the difference (except me of course). ;)
I have now started the underside sheeting. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I haven’t forgotten to install anything crucial before it is all closed off. :roll:
Brian. :)
Attachments
Top sheeting in place.
Top sheeting in place.
Bottom sheeting started.
Bottom sheeting started.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Well that’s one wing now basically complete. The underside sheeting and rib caps have been added. The servo bay has been cut and prepped for the aileron servo. The wing tip and leading edge have been added and the whole wing sanded to shape.
I have also fitted the electric air brake, capped it and sanded it all to the wing profile. I am quite pleased with the finished panel as it is very light and fairly stiff. :)
The next job will be to repeat the process on the other (left) wing.
Note to self: Make sure it’s the left wing, make sure it’s the left wing, make sure it’s the .................. :D :D :D
Brian. :)
Attachments
Completed wing structure.
Completed wing structure.
The air brake location.
The air brake location.
It Works by Jove, It Works!
It Works by Jove, It Works!
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Gee, That was helpful Cliff! I can now look forward to Barry's little gem of wisdom.
Brian. :?
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I give in. I cannot beat that....

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

You will soon know if you have made the right wing Brian, you won’t have any left overs :D
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Problem is Peter that I have made the right wing and I still have plenty of left overs!
Brian :D
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

With the completion of the left wing, all of the main building on the Dart is now done. Today I was able today to assemble the whole airframe for the first time. Once again the tailplane size is giving me a little concern. Even although I increased the area by 10% it still looks very small. As usual there are also one or two minor fitting issues to be sorted out before covering can begin.
I suspect that I will be spending the next week covering and possibly painting however that is weather dependent to a certain extent.
There are still loads of little finishing jobs to be done as well as all the elictrickery installation to be finalised. Plenty to keep me occupied!
Attachments
First full assembly.
First full assembly.
Looks Ok to me.
Looks Ok to me.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have managed to move things on a bit with the Dart in the last few days. I have done a bit of painting as you will see. I have also started the radio installation with the receiver seat, elevator and rudder servos and also the tow release servo down on the cockpit floor. All of this has gone without any difficulty. I have also started the covering process with the tailplane halves using white “Profilm”.
The wings will be next.
Attachments
Servos and Receiver on equipment tray.
Servos and Receiver on equipment tray.
Tow release servo.
Tow release servo.
Completed tailplane.
Completed tailplane.