• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/5 Scale Slingsby T51 Dart 17.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
B Sharp

Re: 1/5 Scale Slingsby T51 Dart 17.

Post by B Sharp »

I now have the wing centre section basically complete. The images below show top and bottom. The rectangular holes will house multiplex six-pin sockets. The underside has holes for the servo wires to drop down into the fuselage. The hardwood block near the leading edge is there to mount an alloy flange which will locate against (and be screwed to) a hardwood bar in the fuselage.
The trailing edges haven’t worked out as I had expected. You can see from the images below that they look great in the drawings but rather less so in reality. I think I will try sanding them a little more in the hope of getting a more accurate shape.
Brian. :? :? :?
Attachments
Centre section upper surface.
Centre section upper surface.
Centre section lower surface.
Centre section lower surface.
Diagram of how the TE should look.
Diagram of how the TE should look.
How it looks in reality.
How it looks in reality.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Brian,
Upper surface contour not too difficult, but the concave lower surface needs a bit more work to remove the natural angular effect ;)
A couple of quick snaps of my (now a bit careworn) centre section & matching wing root for info.
Attachments
Centre section
Centre section
Wing panel
Wing panel
Last edited by Peter Balcombe on 26 Jul 2019, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Hi Peter. I notice that your underside at the rear is a bit angular as well.
However, I made up a couple of shaped sanding blocks and the profile is now very much better. Strangely the underside is now very close to my template while the upper is still slightly concave. However I suspect that it will be fine and the vast majority will never notice.
Brian. :)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

It just goes to show what a craftsman you are Brian :)
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Awh, shucks Peter. Most of my friends just say I'm fussy and slightly anal.
Brian :D :D :D
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have now set up the alloy flange on the centre section underside and the retaining bar in the fuselage. The flange is held onto the hardwood bar by two 4mm screws and will be a semi-permanent fixture, removable for maintenance.
I have attached an 1/8 ply former at the rear of the centre section assembly and this has a dowel which locates it firmly to the fuselage. I just have to add some filler to the fuselage to form a snug wing seat.
It looks as though I will have to start the wings fairly soon.
Attachments
The alloy wing attachment flange.
The alloy wing attachment flange.
The fuselage with the hardwood attachment bar.
The fuselage with the hardwood attachment bar.
Centre section in place with dowel attachment.
Centre section in place with dowel attachment.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have now formed the wing seat using good old P38 filler and the wing now sits snugly to the fuselage. The wing fairing came with the fuselage and is a polyester/glass moulding. I have to say that it took a whole afternoon of trimming with a Dremel, knives, a file, sandpaper and a couple of tins of elbow grease but I did end up with a pretty good fit.
The next job is to manufacture the canopy frame, even although I haven't got a canopy as yet.
Attachments
The completed wing seat.
The completed wing seat.
The wing fairing fitted in place.
The wing fairing fitted in place.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have spent a very enjoyable couple of hours building the canopy frame. It is built primarily from 1/8 ply, the side panels being 1/32 ply. It is held in place on the fuselage by a peg at the front and 4 button magnets at the rear (2 in the fuselage and 2 in the frame). A canopy moulding is on its way from Barry at Sarik. He informs me that it was taken from the original Pat Teakle moulds.
This will probably be my last post on the little Dart for a while as other “Life” matters will be taking up my time for the next several weeks.
Attachments
Complete canopy frame.
Complete canopy frame.
Fitted to the fuselage.
Fitted to the fuselage.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Tidy work as always Brian. Looks very scale too. Good luck with "Life".
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

The words Canopy and Enjoyable should never be used in the same sentence.....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC