Anyone wishing to register, once you have, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER for the confirmation email. {And please, if possible can you use your real names! there are far too many numbers and silly titles being used}

1/5 Scale Slingsby T51 Dart 17.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
B Sharp

Re: 1/5 Scale Slingsby T51 Dart 17.

Post by B Sharp » 24 Jul 2019, 10:34

Having now finished the tail end the next job is the wing centre section. The plans show this centre section protruding out from the fuselage sides slightly and being attached to the fuselage with 4 x 4mm bolts. The implication being that the assembly stays bolted to the fuselage semi-permanently and the wing halves attach to that.
Once again I can’t leave things alone and I have planned to attach this assembly to the fuselage with a single dowel peg to the rear and with a metal flange/wooden block and two bolts at the front, accessed through the cockpit. This will mean that I don’t have four bolt heads visible from the top.
The laser-cut ribs for the assembly fit together very quickly and accurately. My only comment is that there are 2 x F1 ribs which have to be glued together to locate in the centre. A single F1 rib made of 3mm ply would have been more sensible.
The whole construction is absolutely straight forward with the exception of the trailing edge. Here the plans show a 1/32 plywood trailing edge which butts up against the rear of the ribs and is held in place by the balsa sheeting above and below. I have to say that I have never seen this form of construction before. After a bit of thought I constructed a TE component from the ply laminated with an oversized piece if 1/16 balsa sheet on the underside. I made extensions to the rib up-stands to support the TE in the correct position whilst gluing the sheeting to the underside of the ribs. Once the top sheeting is in place this should stabilise the TE.
Brian. :)
Attachments
Dart 27.jpg
The partially built centre section.
Dart 28.jpg
Detail of trailing edge construction.

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 25 Jul 2019, 17:41

I now have the wing centre section basically complete. The images below show top and bottom. The rectangular holes will house multiplex six-pin sockets. The underside has holes for the servo wires to drop down into the fuselage. The hardwood block near the leading edge is there to mount an alloy flange which will locate against (and be screwed to) a hardwood bar in the fuselage.
The trailing edges haven’t worked out as I had expected. You can see from the images below that they look great in the drawings but rather less so in reality. I think I will try sanding them a little more in the hope of getting a more accurate shape.
Brian. :? :? :?
Attachments
Dart 29.jpg
Centre section upper surface.
Dart 30.jpg
Centre section lower surface.
Dart 31.jpg
Diagram of how the TE should look.
Dart 32.jpg
How it looks in reality.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 25 Jul 2019, 20:14

Brian,
Upper surface contour not too difficult, but the concave lower surface needs a bit more work to remove the natural angular effect ;)
A couple of quick snaps of my (now a bit careworn) centre section & matching wing root for info.
Attachments
IMG_1875.jpg
Centre section
IMG_1876.jpg
Wing panel
Last edited by Peter Balcombe on 26 Jul 2019, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 25 Jul 2019, 20:50

Hi Peter. I notice that your underside at the rear is a bit angular as well.
However, I made up a couple of shaped sanding blocks and the profile is now very much better. Strangely the underside is now very close to my template while the upper is still slightly concave. However I suspect that it will be fine and the vast majority will never notice.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 25 Jul 2019, 21:01

It just goes to show what a craftsman you are Brian :)

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 25 Jul 2019, 22:12

Awh, shucks Peter. Most of my friends just say I'm fussy and slightly anal.
Brian :D :D :D

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 26 Jul 2019, 07:03

Very anal!!

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 26 Jul 2019, 17:56

I have now set up the alloy flange on the centre section underside and the retaining bar in the fuselage. The flange is held onto the hardwood bar by two 4mm screws and will be a semi-permanent fixture, removable for maintenance.
I have attached an 1/8 ply former at the rear of the centre section assembly and this has a dowel which locates it firmly to the fuselage. I just have to add some filler to the fuselage to form a snug wing seat.
It looks as though I will have to start the wings fairly soon.
Attachments
Dart 33.jpg
The alloy wing attachment flange.
Dart 34.jpg
The fuselage with the hardwood attachment bar.
Dart 35.jpg
Centre section in place with dowel attachment.

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 29 Jul 2019, 19:53

I have now formed the wing seat using good old P38 filler and the wing now sits snugly to the fuselage. The wing fairing came with the fuselage and is a polyester/glass moulding. I have to say that it took a whole afternoon of trimming with a Dremel, knives, a file, sandpaper and a couple of tins of elbow grease but I did end up with a pretty good fit.
The next job is to manufacture the canopy frame, even although I haven't got a canopy as yet.
Attachments
Dart 36.jpg
The completed wing seat.
Dart 37.jpg
The wing fairing fitted in place.

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 01 Aug 2019, 14:21

I have spent a very enjoyable couple of hours building the canopy frame. It is built primarily from 1/8 ply, the side panels being 1/32 ply. It is held in place on the fuselage by a peg at the front and 4 button magnets at the rear (2 in the fuselage and 2 in the frame). A canopy moulding is on its way from Barry at Sarik. He informs me that it was taken from the original Pat Teakle moulds.
This will probably be my last post on the little Dart for a while as other “Life” matters will be taking up my time for the next several weeks.
Attachments
Dart 38.jpg
Complete canopy frame.
Dart 39.jpg
Fitted to the fuselage.