People are joining and then emailing me to ask for plans. We do expect you to contribute to the community before being granted this option. I have added a section to the rules of the forum to cover this.

1/4 Scale Charlesworth ASK13

Let us all watch your new project progress.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: 1/4 Scale Charlesworth ASK13

Post by VinceC »

I have a kit I got from a deceased local modeller of the HP-18 Pat Teakle kit. I used to have one years ago and enjoyed it and for £20 I couldn't turn it down. This is the example I am following, but build time is extremely limited as my wife is in Hospital
Attachments
N96326 CN 56 _ 03.jpg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

The canopy locking tabs have now been fitted.
The full canopy tab/tube has been fixed to the actuation rod using a smear of epoxy, whilst the Cabriolet tab has been soldered to the actuation rod adjacent to the rear catch. (This is less visible & can easily be got at via the open cockpit.

I have also been busy making Plaster of Paris moulds for the 4 cast lead nose weights. (Sat on CH boiler for a couple of days to really dry out - otherwise the hot lead releases the moisture as steam & spatters lead everywhere :shock: )
Having now safely cast these, they come out at a total of 1.75lbs, so I will initially only glue in the 2 smaller ones, pending a model assembly for rough balance check - just in case I don't need it all ;)
Attachments
Full canopy from outside
Full canopy from outside
Full canopy from inside
Full canopy from inside
Cabriolet release tab
Cabriolet release tab
Nose weights
Nose weights

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Time to cover the wings after sorting out the fuselage fit.
Extra nose weights blocks also added after checking rough balance position, which comes out 20mm or so behind the rearmost point - so plenty more still needed!!
With the weights added, the nose can now be filled and shaped before the fuselage is glassed.
Attachments
Wings covered1_small.jpg
Wings covered2_small.jpg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Nose now filled & fuselage glassed with lightweight cloth & epoxy resin.
Once the glass had been rubbed down, it was time to fix the 3 main skid shock absorbers in place by epoxying suitable split pins into pre-prepared holes.
Cliff has been able to 3D print the shock absorbers using a rubber look-alike material, these can then be fitted using short lengths of piano wire through the split pin eyes.
With a rear clamping strip made up from 1/4" brass strip, its time to trial fit the 1/8" spruce strip skid, using screws at the front & the clip at rear.
One the fuselage has been painted, the skid can be screwed & glued at the front. The rear clamp allows the skid to slide through as it deflects under load.
Just the 1/4" triangular balsa shock absorber chocks to be added on fuselage & skid now to complete this area.
Attachments
Main Skid_small.jpg

Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Hi Peter
looking good. Just my view on skids in general. My experience with skids is that they are the first item to come apart or get damaged. on full scale as well. I you do not land straight or cross wind more than likely they will be twisted of the fuse. With an open construction as this I would fit the skid not to firm. If it has to come off it will minimize damage to the main fuse construction. I am pretty sure that on the original you would not see those rubber blocks because the sides are covered with a green colored canvas. This was done to minimize drag and preventing built up of dirt on the skid.
On most of my glider designs with covered skids the fuse formers are extended to support the skid and support for the canvas side surfaces with on the model will be 1 mm ply painted green, Filling the spaces in between the formers with balsa would help are well
In later life of the ASK13 you could get a kit to fit a nose wheel at the front then a skid was not required anymore

Cheers

Jilles

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi Jilles,
Yes, Tweety has what looks like a crinkly canvas cover over the gap between fuselage & skid, with everything below the main fuselage line, from front of skid to rear of wheel fairing painted red to stand out from white lower fuselage.

I covered the gap on my Oly 2b with 0.4mm ply side plates to replicate the silvered canvas covering.
Luckily everything has stayed put - so far ;)
Peter

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

I did the same on my Weihe, but with Vinyl cloth and secured to the skid using a length of thin aluminium cut from lithoplate 'nailed' to the skid using model railway track pins cut very short into predrilled holes
Attachments
IMG_1893_conv (1).jpg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Time to sort out the seat fixings, so used the Cabriolet canopy to get both fore & aft, plus height correct using a sample pilot figure.
Cliff had made up the two seats from thin ply, so these were secured to pads mounted on spruce cross rails, which themselves slot into Liteply plates glued to the fuselage sides. This arrangement allows the whole lot to be removed for painting or adjusted in height later if required.

The pilot figure height is largely determined by the need to keep the rear pilot head a little lower than the top of the fuselage to ensure no bulge is required in the enclosed canopy moulding!!
As it happens, the shoulders are just below the Cabriolet canopy coaming, which is about right according to pics of the full size.

The rear cockpit instrument console box will be installed next, but this must be removeable as it would normally project above the fuselage cockpit coaming level. It would the interfere with the central part of the Cabriolet canopy frame.
Attachments
Pilot R_Cabriolet_small.jpg
Front seat small.jpg
Pilot Front Cabriolet_small.jpg
Pilot Rear Open_small.jpg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Rear console now installed using short brass tube stubs. One of the carbon rods is retractable to allow fitting/removal.
The tail skid has been made from a piece of hard aluminium sheet & then fixed using 2 small screws. Cliff 3D printed the rubber shock absorber.
Finally, some 1/8" Sq. Balsa strip has been epoxied to the lower fuselage to provide a bonding surface for either thin ply plates or direct covering to simulate the canvas shroud fitted between main skid & fuselage.
Attachments
Rear console small.jpg
Tail skid small.jpg
Main skid strips front small.jpg
Main skid strips rear small.jpg