• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Jilles Smitts Petrel

Let us all watch your new project progress.
tjarko

Re: Jilles Smitts Petrel

Post by tjarko »

That is an impressive glider!

How does it fly?
What is the flying weight?
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

tjarko wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 13:33 That is an impressive glider!

How does it fly?
What is the flying weight?
Lawrie has told me that it flies very well All up weight is 13.2Kg
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

tjarko wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 13:33 How does it fly?
It has Wiiings.....

8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)

BC
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Petrel coming in to land, stunning scenery.

https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
jack

Post by jack »

Very well done lawrie!!!!!!......she looks a real treat,cliff,s is covered ready to paint if l can ever get it to him :evil: :evil: ......how did she handle on tow??,cheers,jack.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hello Jack,
Yes it flew very nicely on tow, it just hung in there and behaved itself. Once off the line i managed to find a thermal quite quickly and up it went. I didn't have any telemetry going but i'm guessing about 450mtrs, so not wanting it to get to far away on its first flight i tested out the control throws. Ailerons are initially a bit slow but when they start to work i had to back off. Throws are 30mm up and 13mm down. Rudder is 110mm each way and and mix with the ailerons is 70%. Elevator is 25mm each way but could be less i feel. also have 60% expo. Air brakes are set at 60 dgs and give a nose down attitude on a landing approach. Not too much. Just a pleasing amount to ensure there will be no tip stall before landing. I did not induce a stall at height but i think it would drop a wing very smartly if you let it go that far. I did follow your build thread and the other one with interest and was hoping you guys over there would have been first up. Will you be flying from the slopes or the flat. I only have the flat field to fly from but would really like to chuck it off a slope one day.
Lawrie.
Merry xmas to all you guys over there and everywhere. Cheers.
jack

Post by jack »

cheers lawrie,this damn virus has played havoc over here,the petrel has been done for a while now,but the lockdowns keep getting in the way.....so hopefully she will fly in the spring of 2021,meanwhile,l have another of jillies designs waiting in the wings(ahem,sorry),l have his Blanik L-13 to build, l intend to post the build on here,take care,jack
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

G,day everyone .
Here's a few more photos of the Petrel now with its final coat of paint and some art work as per the 1949 version of the original.
Only got one flight in on Sunday. Not much lift around and we got rained on which dampened our spirits a little. I have decreased the elevator throw to 20mm up and down which is plenty. Haven't tried a stall yet. I did a slow circle turn and thought it was going to drop a wing but it never did so its very forgiving. Airbrakes are definitely needed on the landing approach or it will never land any where near where you want it too. Don't ask!!!
Lawrie.
Attachments
IMGP6929.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG