Page 1 of 1

HW-4 FLAMINGO 1/4 SCALE

Posted: 30 Sep 2019, 12:47
by chris williams
I can't quite work out if this is a scaled-down version of my large one, or a scaled-up version of the small one, but either way, the new Flamingo should still be OAP-friendly... ;)

Fuselage construction is the well proven half-shell method. Much quicker and easier than a jig, but care needs to be taken to keep the fuselage straight...

Re: HW-4 FLAMINGO 1/4 SCALE

Posted: 01 Oct 2019, 12:33
by chris williams
Directly related to this project, Motley's Petrel has undergone the same scaling-up process and is proceeding at a great pace...

Posted: 02 Oct 2019, 09:10
by chris williams
The longerons are 5mm sq spruce, my new favourite size. They're shaped at the front with the latest in hi-tec steaming methods. 1.5mm ply planking is applied at the front end. The slots for the little ply transfer plates are cut with the power file......

Posted: 03 Oct 2019, 10:14
by chris williams
Once enough of the planking has been applied, and the diagonals added, the half-shell is stiff enough to remove from the board...

Posted: 03 Oct 2019, 17:36
by geoff_crew
He probably has Cliff but without hardener the paint takes a long time to dry, so a little patience please :lol:

Geoff

Posted: 04 Oct 2019, 22:28
by chris williams
It is but the work of a moment or two to install the opposite side...

Posted: 07 Oct 2019, 16:08
by chris williams
The planking & bracing continues...

Posted: 09 Oct 2019, 10:11
by chris williams
Time to add the front part of the top decking, and to make a start on the nose cone...

Posted: 10 Oct 2019, 14:52
by chris williams
The anatomy of a nose cone... It takes around five applications of filler to get the job done...

Posted: 12 Oct 2019, 10:12
by chris williams
With the temporary liteply formers removed, the interior of the fuselage can now be glassed with glass cloth and polyester resin

Posted: 12 Oct 2019, 16:36
by Trevor
Coming on well Chris. No tow release in this one?

Posted: 12 Oct 2019, 16:45
by Barry_Cole
Trevor, It has to be retrofitted. If he tried to build it in, it would end up full of body filler.....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC

Posted: 12 Oct 2019, 17:08
by chris williams
Take no notice of 'em, Trev...all will be revealed in my new novel: 'Why You Need a Nose Job'

Posted: 13 Oct 2019, 11:45
by chris williams
Time now to sort out the rear end in readiness for the elevator actuating arrangement

Posted: 14 Oct 2019, 12:45
by chris williams
The tailplane, being tapered in thickness on the underside, is initially built upside down. Once the top sheeting has been added, the jig supports are temporarily glued to the sheeting, and the bottom sheeting added with the structure weighed down...

Posted: 15 Oct 2019, 16:36
by chris williams
Before the elevator can be built, the false LE needs to hinged up to the tailplane and sanded flush. Then the rest can be constructed vertically with the false LE pinned to the board...Then the final LE can be added and slots cut for the hinges, before rounding off the finished LE

Posted: 17 Oct 2019, 12:52
by chris williams
With the tailplane built, now the elevator actuating arrangements can be set out. Lacking a suitable length carbon rod, the pushrod is a 6mm sq spruce core with 2 x 6mm sq balsa stiffeners

Posted: 18 Oct 2019, 22:27
by chris williams
Now the fin can be put together and the sheeting at the top of the fuselage can be finished at the rear...

Posted: 19 Oct 2019, 20:15
by chris williams
The rudder is pretty straightforward...

Posted: 20 Oct 2019, 16:34
by chris williams
Now the fin can be permanently fitted, using a guide to ensure that it is vertical to the fuselage. Then the lower rear ply sheeting, with the rudder cable guides installed...

Posted: 23 Oct 2019, 11:55
by chris williams
Moving on to the canopy: (I have decided to make the canopy in one piece with magnet retention for extra operational convenience, as with the smaller version of the Flamingo)) The side rails are laminated from 2 lengths of 3 x 6mm spruce, and clamped to the fuselage sides to take up most of the shape. (To finalise, strips of balsa are added to the outer edges of the side rails and shaped up to the fuselage after construction) The joints are reinforced by forcing thin gauge piano wire into them... There are also reinforced with gussets of 6mm ply at the corners.

Posted: 23 Oct 2019, 12:54
by David R
Hello Chris, I really enjoy reading the build thread and I am keen to build one for myself. I have been looking at the 1:5 scale Petrel, but I prefer the look of the Flamingo, although similar, I know. I have seen both in 1:5 scale at Whitesheet. Are the plans available for the 1:5 Flamingo available, please? and how does is vary in construction technique to the Petrel. Is there a laser cut set of parts for it also? Thanks

Posted: 23 Oct 2019, 16:04
by chris williams
David, the 5th scale Flamingo plan is due to be published in the December issue of RCM&E, I assume as a free plan, like the Petrel. I also assume there will be a laser kit from the mag, as well as a canopy. (This will be the same canopy as the 3.5 scale version, which fits all three)
You can get the full build log pics direct from me FOC...

Posted: 24 Oct 2019, 11:49
by chris williams
With the 10mm magnets fitted, the canopy trimming can commence...

Posted: 25 Oct 2019, 10:17
by chris williams
Paint frame, make up console, final fit of the canopy...

Posted: 25 Oct 2019, 18:02
by Homebuilt5
Sailplane looks very good, excellent work. Learned a new bit with making the nose out of polyester filler. Going to need the weight and much stronger than wood or thin fiberglass/resin.
I have a suspicion that you have done something like this at least once before.

Posted: 26 Oct 2019, 11:43
by chris williams
Time now to make a start on the wings...The preliminary jigs take care of the gull bend; later, an entirely different set of jigs will set the wing up without any unwanted twists. The main spars are 5mm sq spruce, with some of the tension steamed out at the gull change...

Posted: 27 Oct 2019, 14:53
by chris williams
Top spar added, followed by web plates...then it's time to start the other wing, prior to a dihedral check...

Posted: 28 Oct 2019, 09:57
by chris williams
Time for aforementioned dihedral check...

Posted: 29 Oct 2019, 17:08
by chris williams
With the dihedral check safely passed, the brass boxes (one 13mm, one 15mm) can be epoxied in and closed off. Then it's time to fit the sub spars in front of the web plates...

Posted: 30 Oct 2019, 14:59
by chris williams
With the lower sheeting added in two sections, preparations are made before adding the top sheeting, which will be in three parts. The centre sheeting spans the gull break and is forced into a compound curve to preserve a smooth transition around the bend...

Posted: 31 Oct 2019, 09:38
by chris williams
The most critical part of the wing construction: adding the top sheeting locks the wing into its final shape...

Posted: 01 Nov 2019, 10:13
by chris williams
Then it's time to finish off the wing roots...

Posted: 01 Nov 2019, 13:19
by Trevor
Where did the wiring go?

Posted: 01 Nov 2019, 14:20
by chris williams
I'm not allowed to open up the wing root until Christmas...!

Posted: 01 Nov 2019, 14:21
by Barry_Cole
Trevor wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 13:19 Where did the wiring go?
We usually cut a hole in the wing root, on the field, just before the maiden.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC

Posted: 01 Nov 2019, 15:42
by Trevor
Ah, so no high-tech wireless solution then :(

Posted: 01 Nov 2019, 17:30
by geoff_crew
Yeah, normally after the range check :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geoff

Posted: 02 Nov 2019, 10:12
by chris williams
Back to the fuselage now, and tidying up the lower fuselage...

Posted: 03 Nov 2019, 11:45
by chris williams
Now for the tricky bit: setting up the wing root fairings...

Posted: 04 Nov 2019, 12:40
by chris williams
Followed by the fin fairing...

Posted: 05 Nov 2019, 09:52
by chris williams
A quick diversion to set up the spoiler apertures so that the wing sheeting can be finalised...

Posted: 05 Nov 2019, 10:00
by Trevor
I’m following with interest Chris, as I’ve now got the first wing of my Petrel on the board. I can’t quite see how you are supporting the wing to work on it now that the gull angle has been set.

Posted: 05 Nov 2019, 11:35
by chris williams
Once you have applied the web plates, Trev, the wing needs no further support until you are ready to add the top sheeting...

Posted: 06 Nov 2019, 16:46
by chris williams
Back to the business of fitting the wings...

Posted: 07 Nov 2019, 10:16
by chris williams
The 1.5mm ply fairing outer ribs are carefully packed out to a tight fit with the wing....

Posted: 08 Nov 2019, 10:04
by chris williams
Having filled in the spaces with balsa, the first applications of filler are commenced...

Posted: 08 Nov 2019, 17:13
by mick a
watching the build, could you set the incidence just using the wing roots .?
i was thinking of doing that with the minimoa instead of wrestling with the wings .

Posted: 09 Nov 2019, 11:44
by chris williams
Unfortunately Mick, the wing roots don't really give you enough to work with, considering the importance of the task...

A final skim of filler with the wings on will ensure a near perfect fit. Obviously, it's important to run a blade through the filler just at that stage when it not too hard to cut, but not too soft to tear... (Dependant on ambient temperature & the amount of hardener added)

Posted: 09 Nov 2019, 13:20
by mick a
thanks chris
you make it look so easy

Posted: 09 Nov 2019, 13:22
by Trevor
I’m in awe at your prowess with the filler Chris! Access to those servos looks a little awkward though?

Posted: 09 Nov 2019, 17:03
by chris williams
Not really, Trev, the big hole in the former gives reasonable access...

Meanwhile, the Flamingo's sister project, Motley's 1/4 scale Petrel, is just about mission capable... Fuselage Solartexed & painted, flying surfaces covered with film...

Posted: 09 Nov 2019, 17:58
by VinceC
That is absolutely disgraceful. After all the research I did to get the exact profile, which Chris used to create the plan, why bother building it when it turns out looking like an ice cream wrapper

Posted: 09 Nov 2019, 18:29
by VinceC
Vanilla with Blueberry sprinkles

Posted: 26 Nov 2019, 12:01
by chris williams
It would seem that I am in possession of a non-compliant ethos...

Therefore, to quote Douglas Adams: 'Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish'

Posted: 26 Nov 2019, 17:10
by Trevor
Looks like we’ve lost a very valuable contributor.

Very sad.

Posted: 26 Nov 2019, 20:28
by terry white
I am sorry we are to lose our very own Chris Williams. Nobody has done more to promote built up scale throughout the world than he. His build threads and advice has been second to none. He will be surely missed on here.
On behalf of every member I would like to thank you Chris.
However I must say that the live and let live 'providing you do it my way ' has raised its ugly head again. :x :x

Posted: 26 Nov 2019, 20:37
by VinceC
I quite agree, it is a shame to loose Chris and besides being able to demonstrate his building logs he has been able to benefit from advertising his plans on his own page on this site.

Posted: 27 Nov 2019, 08:53
by John Vella
Cliff, I know how you feel. When I was Chairman of a full-size gliding club the hardest thing I had to do was massaging people's egos. You are doing a great job. Keep it up. Can certain individuals kiss and make up please and then we can all move on.? Regards John.

Posted: 27 Nov 2019, 09:46
by StephenB
Don't go Cliff!

Decisions made in the heat of the moment are rarely the best ones, maybe take a step back and let things settle down, from my perspective this really looks like a storm in a teacup.

This forum is a great resource thanks to the input of many members. In my short time on here, and as a returnee to modelling, the information and advice I have received has given me the confidence and encouragement to tackle a scale build, brush up on my modelling skills and derive an immense amount of enjoyment from the project. I perhaps couldn't have done it without this place, certainly not as easily and it definitely wouldn't have been as much fun.

As the saying goes, keep calm and carry on!

Posted: 28 Nov 2019, 09:00
by VinceC
Back to the Flamingo and I have put together some documentation from the VGC plus a load of photos, colour scheme and a decal set for this fifth scale model which Cliff will make a page for shortly

Posted: 28 Nov 2019, 19:38
by chris williams
Meanwhile... time to make up the ailerons. These are top-hinged and bottom-sealed with Mylar for max efficiency, and built flat to the plan. At first glance, it might seem that the ribs are too short, bit it's an optical illusion due to my inability to draw a three-dimensional view of the LE on the plan...

Posted: 29 Nov 2019, 22:25
by chris williams
A quick look at the wing servo arrangements...The spoiler servo cost the princely sum of £1.90 ;)

Posted: 30 Nov 2019, 08:51
by SedB
Hello Chris,

Lovely progress so far!
Just out of curiosity; I'm about to build your 1/4 T-21 and for this I ordered 2meter longhorns and mainspars, just to have them out of one piece.
Image Here, on the left, is seems you have extended the mainspar of the aileron? I'm not an experienced builder, so that's why I wonder if this is a standard trick which functions as good as a 'one-piece'?

Kind regards,
Daniel

Posted: 30 Nov 2019, 10:23
by chris williams
Now that's a long time ago, Daniel...! In this instance, a join in an aileron LE (I probably didn't have a piece long enough) is perfectly acceptable, because due to the aileron being hinged to the much stronger wing, it's never going to experience and serious lateral force...

Posted: 30 Nov 2019, 11:30
by Barry_Cole
Mr Williams is very very old Seb!

And is even older this very day............

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 30 Nov 2019, 11:54
by chris williams
Briefly dipping my toes into the subject of scale... I have now re-discovered the latest pics I have of the Flamingo, hanging in a museum in Brazil.

Three things worthy of note:

1: There is now a deeply unattractive 'flat' 2-dimensional canopy fitted

2: The skid and wheel fairing is now a whoppper, partially covering the wheel

3: Do my eyes deceive me? Are those top & bottom airbrakes rather than spoilers that I spy...?

Posted: 01 Dec 2019, 09:38
by SedB
chris williams wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 10:23 due to the aileron being hinged to the much stronger wing, it's never going to experience and serious lateral force...
Now you say it, it makes perfect sense! Thanks!

Posted: 01 Dec 2019, 11:33
by chris williams
Airframe nearly complete... time to move on to covering & finish.

Posted: 01 Dec 2019, 14:22
by Jus Gordon
Nice work Chris

Posted: 02 Dec 2019, 09:55
by chris williams
Thank you, Jus... Final stage now: The fuselage will be covered with my diminishing stock of Solartex, primed & painted with 2K paint. (All the 'tex edges are sealed with thin cyano) The flying surfaces will be covered with HK's new translucent clear film, with the appropriate trim...

Posted: 03 Dec 2019, 09:36
by chris williams
The Flamingo maiden was a few days ago...the light wing loading makes for a model with a very realistic flying speed, so all in all, definitely a keeper!
(I now have the full Flamingo set!)

Posted: 03 Dec 2019, 11:14
by Jus Gordon
Well done Chris,

What a fantastic collection and love the ‘Topaze ‘blue colour scheme 8-)

Posted: 03 Dec 2019, 11:55
by terry white
Excellent model there Chris,well done.

Posted: 03 Dec 2019, 15:00
by VinceC
:shock: to be fair, without colour photos is almost impossible as long as it is painted "in the style of". For the colour scheme I showed in my drawing, I chose the later colour and then converted to B&W and the grey scale colours were almost an exact match, giving reasonable purity on the colours chosen

Posted: 03 Dec 2019, 17:11
by B Sharp
Very Nice indeed Chris. Now would you like to slow down for a while as I just cant keep up with your production rate.
Brian. :D

Posted: 03 Dec 2019, 20:43
by Andrew Ray
Beautiful scale sailplane, I love the scheme.

Posted: 03 Dec 2019, 20:46
by Jus Gordon
Scale Police wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 14:55 The SPC have been informed and they too are reviewing the situation.
Ha..Ha..Move along now sir, nothing to see here!

Posted: 15 Mar 2020, 09:55
by chris williams
I have donated the plan for the 1/4 scale Flamingo to the SSUK website...I believe I have in this model, the Steinadler and hopefully the 1/4 Petrel, hit a 'sweet spot' in design terms: reasonably large sizes, coupled with light wing loadings result in models that are super-safe at low speed, slow & realistic in flight, and capable of feather-light landings even with me at the controls...! ;)

Posted: 15 Mar 2020, 10:18
by Cliff Evans
Thanks very much Chris. I will be putting the plans and link up later today.

Posted: 15 Mar 2020, 19:02
by Cliff Evans
You can download the plan from here: https://scalesoaring.co.uk/hw-4-flaming ... der-plans/

Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 16:32
by Eddie Mace
I love the shape and style of the Flamingo. It is definitely one of my favourite scale gliders and top of my list to build!

Posted: 19 Feb 2021, 11:32
by chris williams
Also, for those who enjoy Scroll Saw Therapy, the parts are available from me in PDF form, all ready to print out in an A4 printer. (Note: always check the printout outs against the plan)

Posted: 10 May 2021, 21:40
by chris williams
Videos here: