1/3 scale Japanese vintage glider Mita type 3

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Cliff Evans

Re: 1/3 scale Japanese vintage glider Mita type 3

Post by Cliff Evans » 24 Nov 2019, 07:58

Your attenstion to deatail is great, it is a shame you are so far away from us here in the UK. Would love to see this model at our aerotow meetings.

MDev

Post by MDev » 24 Nov 2019, 17:23

I like the thinking behind this fuse structure, I’ve made a tail out of Airex and carbon sandwich glued with epoxy and sailing masts out of carbon tubes With jumper struts in a similar fashion, they’re holding together still after 15 years or so. I wonder how resilient the structure is and do landing forces pass through it to the built up wings? Time will tell.

M

norm

Post by norm » 25 Nov 2019, 03:53

Cliff, yes it is a pity for me too that I can't show you my model and fly it over the beautiful scenary of the U.K.
I have been in the U.K. several times and love the scenary of the Cotswalds best. How I hope my model flying over the gentle hills there!

norm
河上宣道

norm

Post by norm » 25 Nov 2019, 04:27

MDev, thank you for your comment. It is interesting that there are many modelers who have interest in my carbon truss structure. I glued it with carbon filaments mixed epoxy and attatched a small carbon plate where the stress seems high.
Yes the landing loads may be the most severe one but they make compression at the truss joints. Epoxy glued joints are week for the bending or tension stress but they endure for compression stress much better. So far they look working well but, as you say, time will tell the truth.

norm
Last edited by norm on 27 Nov 2019, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
河上宣道

norm

Post by norm » 25 Nov 2019, 07:22

Aileron
The ailerons of the Mita are the frise type one. They also have a differential too. It was very time consuming task to design the rib contour because the base wing airfoils are defined parallel to the air flow, but the aileron ribs are placed diagonally to the wing span. If I could use the 3D CAD it would be easy task but because my CAD is 2D, it took time.

The ailerons have mass balances. I made them with aluminum tube and block. The real Mita's ailerons are linked with the sticks but in my model ailerons are linked with the servos placed in the wing, so the sticks are free laterally. I used a small dummy servo connected to the stick longitudinal shaft. It prevents the sticks from lateral free movement and moves them when the ailerons are moved.
Attachments
Aileron Plan.png
The Aileron DWG
Aileron Plan making.png
Finding the Aileron ribs contour
Aileron cut image and the hinge.png
Aileron Cross section
Aileron Control Throw.png
Aileron Controll Throw
Aileron Control Sys.png
Aileron Controll and the Mass Balance
Aileron rod and mass balance.png
Aileron control rod and mass balance
The Aileron.png
Aileron ASSY
Dummy Aileron Servo.png
Dummy servo
河上宣道

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 25 Nov 2019, 09:00

Norm,
Amazing attention to detail and very good engineering skills.
Very well done indeed.
Peter

norm

Post by norm » 26 Nov 2019, 04:56

Peter, Thank you for visiting my thread. I will post more details and hope you will enjoy them.

norm
河上宣道

norm

Post by norm » 26 Nov 2019, 05:41

FWD Fuselage
As many guests have interest in my model's fuselage construction, I will post its details in order. This time topic is the FWD fuselage.

Mita's FWD fuselage is made by several truss panels. These panels are flat but they are assembled with angles each other.
So, an assembling jig is required. I made the jig using wood bars and plates. This jig is also useful to construct the landing gear support structure and to joint the FWD and AFT fuselages. Be careful that attached photos show the structure before epoxy glueing.
Attachments
FWD Fuselage Plan.png
FWD Fuselage Plan
Panel Making.png
Making a panel
Side Panels.png
Side panels Completed
Fuselage Assembling Jig DWG.png
Fuselage Assembling Jig
FWD Fuse Assembling1.png
Assembling Fuselage on the Jig
LDG Gear Support Structure.png
Making the Landing Gear Support
Completed Fuse.png
Completed Structure
Test of Gear Instalation.png
Landing Gear Fit Test
河上宣道

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 26 Nov 2019, 09:35

Incredible research and attention to detail. Excellent work

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » 26 Nov 2019, 19:43

You have made some very beautiful and elegant structures. I can imagine the fuselage must feel very light and stiff.

If the joints between carbon tubes are strong enough to take the model flying and landing loads, I think many people will be interested in trying this method. Carbon tube can be bought cheaply on eBay and from HobbyKing.

I would like to hear more about how you glue and reinforce each join, for example, do you make your own carbon powder? And do you insert any material inside the tubes at the joint?

Thank you again.

Roger