• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

GAL56-03

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Martynk

GAL56-03

Post by Martynk »

Whilst browsing (on SSUK main site) for a suitable subject to build next, I spotted this design. I have never seen one built and it looks like an interesting subject.

There were a small number of GAL56 variants - all experimental and the programme was cancelled after the first prototype crashed in 1948 killing one of the two pilots, the other bailed out when the glider inadvertently ended up upside down following a stall test that caused both pilots to black out.

With that background, what could possibly go wrong...

I have chosen to build the 3rd variant, GAL56-03 which in my opinion is the least ugly. It also has a reasonable sweepback which should make it fairly stable.
GAL56-03 WIng.jpg

It doesn't have the nicest side profile though - looking rather utilitarian

GAL56 Side.jpg.gif

I did find a paper on the internet discussing the series of designs. Conveniently, a wing section was included in the document which was duly scanned and used as the basis for the design

GAL56-wingSection-original.jpg

I have slimmed it to 14% thickness and with the model scaled at just less that 1/5, gives a root wing section depth of about 100mm! The wingspan is just under 3m so not a bad size. Spars look absolutely tiny at the root. I am opting for about 3 degrees progressive washout.

I am still at the thinking stage. I have done the fus design (early pass) in DevFus but it needs a bit more work.The wing is in Profili Pro but still needs tweaking - for example, I need to add the flaps.

The model will not be exact scale, for example, the prototype had LE slats at the wing tips (about 30% span) which I wont bother with but I will probably add the flaps...

The undercarriage will be detachable so that I can fly it on a slope without risking ripping the wing apart.

Your thoughts please?

Martyn
Last edited by Martynk on 18 Feb 2020, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel Argall

Re: GAL56-03

Post by Nigel Argall »

Martyn, would love to see you make this! I happen to notice that Eric 'Winkle' Brown described it as 'the most difficult plane he had ever flown' - which really is saying something. There is an amazing description of it in his book 'Wings on my sleeve'. I look forward to you taming it in model form!
Martynk

Post by Martynk »

Thanks Nigel

I am going for the 'Maximum V' variant, TS-513 as shown in this photo...
GAL.56_TS_513-B.jpg

The fus is at this stage at the moment. It would probably be quite nice if it was moulded

3d-fus-1.jpg

3d-fus-2.jpg

and with the skin stripped off

3d-fus-3.jpg

As you can see, it still needs a little more work

Martyn
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

This looks like a very interesting subject! Great to see someone doing something different.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

The pilot who died was Robert Kronfeld who was a high achieving Glider Pilot and the pilot of such Gliders as the gigantic Austria built by Kupper. He was an Austrian Jew, who left Germany before the war due to the way he was being treated and settled in England to become a respected Glider test pilot.
Attachments
5161878093_23bffdbbf5_o.jpg
5697353488_f2672bc937_o.jpg
Kronfeld Memories by Barry McGowan.pdf
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
Austria20.jpg
Martynk

Post by Martynk »

Thanks for that Vince and also thanks for uploading that very interesting PDF

One thing I have spotted from the photo of TS513 that you uploaded is that the elevons appear much narrower than those shown on the artists impression. The fuselage is much more angular as well. Very, very helpful

Martyn
Martynk

Post by Martynk »

A bit more progress on the CAD work. A bit slow because of the Corvid problem but moving along slowly.

The Fus design is just about complete
Fus2.jpg

This was conceived using DevFus than migrated to AutoCAD to produce a working plan
Fus1.jpg

Its not quite 100% right at the moment but not a million miles out either. Certainly near enough to build from. The formers are built around 2 horizontal plates. The bottom section - below the glazing line will be skinned in 3mm balsa, the bit above will be open.

Its not carrying any load so I can keep it fairly light.

The wing was drawn up in Profilli Pro and then imported into AutoCAD. Again. its not quite 100% there, I am still puzzling on the flap hinges and making the undercarriage easily removable but I'll sort something out.
Wing1.jpg

The aileron rib spacing isn't quite right either but I guess no-one will ever notice. Wing span is just a tad under 3m with the root Chord at 755mm with a wing root thickness of about 98mm.

Wing skinned in 1.5mm balsa. Probably quite a lot of it...

Wing spars are multiples of 1/2 x 1/4 spruce diminishing outwards from the root.

All ribs and formers are 3mm liteply, the fus longerons are 1/4 square balsa.

1" diameter ali tube wing joiner. That should be OK and I have a suitable tube in the shed.

Any thoughts or worries, please shout.

Next job is to prep the laser cutting files and get the wood cut up

Thanks

Martyn
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

Morning Martyn,stuck at home self isolating (is that legal).I built a 1/3rd scale Choucas,a French powered flying wing,with a slight swept forward sweep.I used the scale wing section.It flew wonderfully with about 20 degrees of up elevator for level flight.A friend built a Marske Pioneer again a slight forward sweep,he used the full size wing section,again a large amount of up required to keep it level.An American modeller also built a model of the Pioneer,same result,so he contacted the designer of the full size one ,the reply 'cannot understand that,you do have in flight adjustment of the Cof G in your models,don't you '.I am wondering that maybe we need more reflex on our smaller and less efficient wings.It maybe that as your subject has a large amount of sweep back,the elevators are further from the Cof G therefore less movement required.
Attachments
choucas018.jpg
Martynk

Post by Martynk »

Thanks Barrie

There isn't a great deal of reflex but the elevons are absolutely huge. I expect that I will have to crank in a few degrees up for flying but because the wing is so prominent against the fuselage, I don't want to add any more reflex as it would be quite noticeable. I can live with a trim that will be invisible from the ground :)

There is a lot of sweep-back anyway, this will provide a certain amount of compensation for the lack of a conventional tailplane, it will turn easier and should be quite spirally insensitive.

TBH, I am more worried about what will happen when the split flaps go down - they are huge as well, more like spoilers on the bottom of the wing which will give a pitch down effect
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Are you going to produce a workable plan Martyn?
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk