• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Scheibe Spatz**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
StephenB

Re: Scheibe Spatz

Post by StephenB »

Further progress on the Spatz, the noseblock had another dose of filler and a severe sanding to achieve the correct profile. A Multiplex tow release was then epoxied in along with a snake outer to take the piano wire to the servo:

IMG_0898.jpeg

I then started on the canopy frame, building from 4mm brass tube and piano wire soldered up in situ to follow the contours of the cockpit after first soldering in place two brass hinges. It was a little tricky to begin with ........

IMG_0893.jpeg

....... but as the frame developed it became more stable and less problematic when the iron was not so close to another joint:

IMG_0894.jpeg

Finally I had a completed frame:

IMG_0895.jpeg

The two top rails were attached to the finished lower part of the framework using brass saddles wrapped around the piano wire, inserted in the tube to give a solid dry fit and then soldered up:

IMG_0896.jpeg

A small brass plate was drilled, offered up to the previously installed canopy catch and soldered to the front rail to complete the framework and now ready for painting and glazing:

IMG_0897.jpeg

Meanwhile I've stripped everything I can out of the nose whilst I ponder on how to keep the weight down and achieve the correct CoG without adding tail weight!
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

After just over a year in build, with a "holiday" in between to construct the SF-33, she's finally finished.

Fuselage and fin covered in Diacov brush painted with Oracolor, flying surfaces covered in Easycoat "seconds".

Rx power is from two LiFe batteries connected through a Jeti V-Cable and located on a tray behind the CoG to help compensate for the excessive nose weight:

IMG_0986.jpeg

Final AUW is 5.25Kg, well over the design weight of 4.5Kg, giving a wing loading of just over 21oz. sq. ft. Should I be worried??

P7150808.jpeg

P7150809.jpeg

I'd like to maiden her from a slope in the UK, the Long Mynd or White Sheet maybe, but with the current travel restrictions, who knows when that will be ........
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Should be fine, Stephen...the wing section will tolerate higher loads that that...!
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Thanks Chris, that's reassuring!