• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Scheibe Spatz**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
StephenB

Re: Scheibe Spatz

Post by StephenB »

Thanks for the advice chaps, much appreciated. I have found a Futaba S148 that will be going in!
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Some further progress to update. I must say, things happen a bit quicker when there are few parts to cut out!

Liteply to box in the wing joiner area and then sheeted with 1/32" ply making for a very robust construction:

IMG_0308.jpeg
IMG_0313.jpeg

The aforementioned lightweight servo was removed and replaced with a Futaba S148 positioned in the nose, cockpit floor was glued in place with a provisional location for the Rx which should sit neatly hidden under the seat:

IMG_0314.jpeg

Cockpit surround laminated from 6mm square spruce bonded in place after soaking in hot water to achieve the curvature, this near enough completes work on the front end prior to sheeting:

IMG_0316.jpeg

Work then commenced on the tail feathers with the fully sheeted fin and tailplane:

IMG_0306.jpeg
IMG_0305.jpeg

And completed with the rudder and elevator, just needing final shaping and sanding:

IMG_0312.jpeg

Battery is as far forward as I can get it (weighs 330gms), I'm wondering how much lead I'm going to need up front? Maybe Chris will know ..........
Rcscaler

Post by Rcscaler »

Dear Stephen,

I built the A-Spatz from Chris Williams in enlarged version with several modifications. Scale is now 1:3 with 4400 wingspan and 7,5 kg. Profile is Gö 549, it allows very slow airspeed.

It is a great flyer.

greetings from Bavaria

Hans
ECE65A64-34C9-4A92-AB6D-3FA7557E357F.jpeg
5F710A23-1500-440C-8BC5-0846A2FFA56B.jpeg
FAE39734-88D8-40D6-B131-858937D821AD.jpeg
SedB

Post by SedB »

Rcscaler wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 11:50 Image
Gorgeous!!
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

A little more progress to update after a lull in proceedings whilst awaiting fresh wood supplies.

Ply sheeting to sides, bottom and front top decking applied:

IMG_0330.jpeg
IMG_0331.jpeg

This was followed up by glueing in place a full length 6mm x 3mm spruce longeron which simulates the tubular steel structure of the full size. Fin was glued in place and the rear ply sheeting could then be added after running the snake outers to take the Bowden cables:
IMG_0351.jpeg

This more or less completes the fuselage for now:
IMG_0355.jpeg
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Right hand wing commenced by laying down the 6mm square spruce spars. The spar material was sourced from DIY store at 2M plus length, it came 7mm square but was easily reduced on my Proxxon table saw, quicker and stronger than splicing standard short lengths. Trailing edge was formed from laminated spruce and balsa. The laser cut ribs fitted accurately with no fettling needed, to speed the process I bonded them with Deluxe Materials Superphatic:

IMG_0364.jpeg

Ply/balsa wing joiner box was epoxied in followed by 1/32" ply webbing the full length of the wing. False trailing edge was added and the D box was formed with 1/16" hard balsa sheet top and bottom. The basic wing structure was completed with 1/4" LE and block balsa tips:

IMG_0391.jpeg
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Basic airframe now complete. Next job is the wing incidence pegs :o

IMG_0492.jpeg
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Stephen

Very much enjoying your build threads but I'm intrigued . You're either British or have an amazing command of the language. Prey tell.

Ian
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Ian, I am English through and through but currently reside in Hungary.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

After a long break whilst building the SF-33 motor glider it's time to get back to work on the Spatz.

The setting up of the wings to the fuselage was a job I wasn't looking forward to but with a lot of patience, careful rigging, de-rigging and fettling, the required incidence was finally achieved with the aid of my homemade gauge. The brass main joiner and incidence tubes were bonded in and the wing root fairings formed using scrap balsa in-ills and car body filler with the wings in place to achieve a perfect join. This complete process took me a couple of days of work, quite tedious with the constant rigging of the wings but it paid off with a very clean final result.

IMG_0891.jpeg

The nose was then formed using ply formers to give the outline shape and filled with huge quantities of car body filler - around a kilo! This has me a little worried because the weight seems excessive, so much so that I've had to remove the large capacity battery I had installed. The model in its current state weighs around 4.3Kg. and the balance point is in front of where it should be, and this is without a battery. I have to add the canopy, film for the wings and Diacov plus paint for the fuselage. Plus a lighter battery.

Chris's design weight for the Spatz is 4.5Kg, mine is looking to come in at around 5Kg I think .................

IMG_0890.jpeg