• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Jilles Smits 1/3 K7 Build

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jilles

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3 K7 Build

Post by Jilles »

with all my designs I have a 3 degree difference between wing and stabilizer incidence measured over the mean chord of the profiles. With NC laser cut parts there should be no reason to adjust this on the model, subject to that it was assembledand built square and level. No harm in checking of course. there was never a need for me to adjust one of my models that I did built myself.
Note if the incidence is measures from the bottom of the wing profile the result will be 4-4.5 degrees
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

Many thanks Jilles for your advice. All these snippets of info from you and the guys here build to a much more comprehensive understanding of what is required for a successful build and consequently...flight. Onward and upward!
John
robert-woolley

Post by robert-woolley »

And dont forget some tranquillisers to steady the joysticks John. 😀
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

Hi Robert, yesterday at the Okehampton MFC would have been ideal for the maiden had I been totally prepared, as it was an aerotow with my old and trusty Alpina Magic had to do. My attempt to produce a 1/3 scale pilot is progressing, Maggie is dressing him as we speak. The head, hands and foot wear (Doc Martens I'm told) were 3D printed by Mike Ford and have been painted with acrylics, the limbs are robart hinged dowel and the body is foam...I'm mildly optimistic it will do. Chris Bowles gave me a neat tip to keep the canopy from dropping over.
John
P_20210405_110936.jpg
P_20210412_201849.jpg
P_20210412_202046.jpg
larrikin

Post by larrikin »

Cliff Evans wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 15:18Just waiting for some decent weather to get her outside to put the decals on (thanks Barry) and get CG where I want it.
Cliff Evans wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 07:43You could also post the photos and video here!!
Speaking of posting photos, Cliff, did you ever get the decals on the '7?
That scheme is really nice, it'd be great to see it finished.
Thanks
David
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

No I didn't I have passed the model on to someone to finish, just have not got the time! Will try to get some photos when it is done.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Johns K7 had its Maiden yesterday! All went well. This is the email report I had from John.

Morning Cliff, well I finally maidened the K7 yesterday! A very light westerly and warm..perfect. The tug was an electric WOT4. Unfortunately the chap who was going to video had to shoot off early but he kindly left the camera for us. I have returned the camera for the results of our amateur efforts. if it is rubbish we will film again.
However, the K7 lifted very quickly and thereafter the flight was fantastic. Not much lift around this time, but she floated about majestically and really looked the part. Boasting...my initial landing was one of my best ever, really steady approach, small bounce left the wheel spinning and down...brilliant. My next 2 landings we will not talk about, but heather is nice and forgiving!
I will get some pics or video to you asap but here is a couple to prove I'm not fibbing. Thanks for all the support, next project...🤔

20210427_114743_resized.jpg
20210427_114851_resized.jpg
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
robert-woolley

Post by robert-woolley »

Well done John and to your pilot tailor Maggie.
Bovin

Post by Bovin »

Congratulations with your first flight, your comments sounded very well and I hope to see the video!

Vincent
calypso22

Post by calypso22 »

Thank you very much Vincent for your comments. I have just today sent Cliff the maiden video and hoping he can post it for me as I am a dunce at the computor/IT technology, really hope it works. The flight was at Little Haldon near Teignmouth. This site was an aerodrome a long time ago but is now a nature reserve. It has a westerly slight slope,North south and East west rough grass runways and looks right across to Dartmoor...spectactular backdrop for gliders and all models actually, particularly scale. On maiden day last Tuesday there was barely a breeze but coming from West it gave a nice bouyant feel. Chris Bowls and his 5mtr scratch built Pilatus maidened first late morning. An eventless tow but a great flight. Circa 20mins I think. Then my turn with K7. I was nervous to say the least, lets face it non of us want a spectacular failure after all the hours and money invested. However the launch by Martin Tonkins's electric Wot4 went smoothly lifting off very quickly, as did release. I added a few clicks of up to slow things down and my heart rate slowed as well! I had the vario installed but had forgotten to connect my RX and head phones, so that scuppered any beeps. She looked really stately up there and handled very easily, lovely smooth turns etc. Shortly came the downwind and cross wind legs and for me a really controlled approach (judge for yourself of course) touchdown and small bounce and in....very happy. I suppose I need to experiment now with Cof G which at present is around the LE at the canopy. There is circa 2.5k of lead up front but perhaps some of that could be loaded onto a lorry and taken away. Thanks to Jilles and Cliff for a wonderful project and model and all the advice along the way, and if I can do it so can almost anyone.
John