Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Motor Falke ¼ scale - Cliff Charlesworth.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Motor Falke ¼ scale - Cliff Charlesworth.

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Max,
Here are traces of the Root & R3 profiles, with the root rib TE raised by 10mm & R3 TE on the building board - as shown on the plan.
Clearly shows the LE of each rib is at virtually the same height (Root nose will be slightly higher due to tapering wing thickness).

As I said before, it will work if you build it ;)
Attachments
Falke Root_R3.jpg

Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

You guys are experienced builders of these old style frames, which I'm not.

I can't even figure out - and no one can tell me, the height dimensions of the side panels of the main spar.

Love that red high lighter. ;)

It's the middle of the night here and I'm awake reading and re-reading Cliff's book.

Does the spar sit flat on the plan?

Are the ends cut at 90°?

If I can just build a spar and sit it on the plan, I might have a chance of figuring out where to cut the ribs.

They cost an arm and a leg and I'm not cutting them until I'm sure of where to cut.

I must try to get some sleep. :shock:
Max

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Max,
Your answers are on the wing plan sheet.
There is a front view of the fuselage/wing just below the wing plan view.
This front view shows the shape of the thickest part of the wing from root to tip, including the vertical angles of root & tip ribs, albeit including the dihedral angle - but essentially, with the fuselage root ribs both vertical, the wing root ribs need to be canted by the wing dihedral angle to ensure the surfaces are flush when mated. The tip rib is at right angles to the wing centreline, as are all other ribs unless shown otherwise on the plan, but usually easier to set vertical on the building board.

As far as I can see from measurements from the drawing pdf file, the front view shows the spar box height & length, so you could use the shape as a template for cutting the spar box side panels. The dimensions appear to be for maximum wing thickness excluding the 0.4mm ply top & bottom, but to be sure, double check your rib heights at root, tip & a couple of other intermediate points (say R12 & R20) against your drawing. If they are the same then use the shape as your spar box assembly template, otherwise reduce the top & bottom thicknesses by 0.4mm.

Yes, the wing would be built with the spar assembly/lower spar on the building board.
End rib angles covered above.

Note that if you cut some ribs in the wrong place, you can still use them. If too long then recut. If too short then glue a small (full rib height) balsa tab on each side of the cut end & recut the extended rib to the correct length ;)

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Since you like red highlight. Look at the drawing below and compare it with your plan, where it will not have the red lines only black!

T61-Wing 841 x 2000.png
Laser Cut sailplanes

Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Aha! Thank you.

The spar profile is in the part of the plan which is hanging over the side of the table.
AADoh.PNG
AADoh.PNG (3.34 KiB) Viewed 291 times
Now I must get some sleep (3.00 a.m.). :|
Max

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

When it comes to it, the tailplane is hanging over the side of the table as well!
Laser Cut sailplanes

Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

I know, Cliff.

I also have two other pages of plans. I wonder what treasures I will find there. :lol:
Max

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Indeed, I wonder as well!
Laser Cut sailplanes

Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Cliff Evans wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 08:01
Get photos of everything you can especially the logo on the rudder. When you do, could you email them to me as well for the main website.
I have sent you a PM, Cliff.

Last time I looked, it was stuck in the out box.

Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Anyway . . .

Yesterday I attended at the SA Scouts Airfield at Blanchetown.

It was a sad day as the Scouts have decided (for reasons which can't be discussed as they are before the Court), to sell off all of their aircraft.

There were a small band of people in attendance. They included the field manager, a couple of mechanics, an airworthiness inspector and an aircraft valuer who will be submitting his appraisal to the Scouts.

The aircraft were clad in several millimetres of dust, had flat tyres and generally looked unloved.

I managed to take 45 photos - including a good coverage of the contents of the cockpit, and they all turned out well.

As soon as I hear from Cliff, they will be despatched to be included in the archive for this forum.

Cheers
Max (my signature in my profile has stopped working) :?