• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

25% Benz Meiningen

Let us all watch your new project progress.
BrianF

25% Benz Meiningen

Post by BrianF »

Hi, leading on from this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3185
Benz Meiningen 3viewsm.jpg

I've decided to build a 25% representation of the model. At this stage I don't have enough good documentation to really call it a true scale model. I'll continue to look for information about it. This will be a medium term project, I have other models in my building queue to complete first. My main aim is to get something that looks the right shape and to see how it flies. The color scheme will be a best guess.

I've been using DevFus and DevWing. Still learning how to drive it. I can already see I'll need to alter some things a little before I cut parts.
It seems DevWing doesn't show control surface spars.
I'm looking at making a 3D printed nose cone and 3d printing a form for the cockpit shroud.
What I have so far.
DevF Fuselage.jpg
DevW Wing.jpg
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
Peter Balcombe

Re: 25% Benz Meiningen

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Well done Brian :)
Note that it might be worth checking if one of the spars boxes is unticked in the 3D view parts view selection, in addition to the sheeting within Devcad.
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

Hi Peter, I didn't have any spars defined for that position just the aileron slot, and as I have learned, it displays the slot only and not what you may face it with. I've spent a few more hours on the fuselage and wing and they are much better. Each time a have a session with the program I learn a lot more and think about something I missed. Getting there, I bow down low to all those who have published plans.
www.seqsa.net
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

I've done more searching trying to find images and descriptions. Not much out there, I did find a good technical drawing of the tail.
I joined the Retroplane plane forum in the hope that someone there knows more about it or has researched it before me.

The main frustration I'm facing is getting an image of the nose with the cockpit shroud fitted. Based on the lo-res 3-view drawing and some screen shots from the Super glider video, I guessed the former profiles to shape it. DevFuse didn't like it and the result is not usable. So I've come up with this. I may build a form and vac form it or make a plan from it. I have time to decide.
Cockpit shroud.jpg

I've done more fine tuning on the fuselage. The shape has been improved.
I can build in left and right shells and join later or build on a bench jig. Thoughts?

Cliff offered to help me with the wing design and his ideas are good, it is progressing well.
I can't find evidence to contrary, the wing appears to have no dihedral. Some text implies that wing were more flexible than expected.
For the model, I thought that I might at least make the wing top surface flat and the underside will angle up.

Not too far from cutting some wood, at least I will once I'm on my feet again.

............... Must finish other models first though!!!!! ................
www.seqsa.net
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Brian

............... Must finish other models first though!!!!! ................

Don't you have an Orlic to finish !!!!? :lol:

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

Sssshhhhhh!! :oops:
www.seqsa.net
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

Some more drawing done.
The tips pieces aren't shown,

Fin. Needs that lower aft corner cut off at an angle.
Fin.jpg

Horizontal Stab
Horistab.jpg

Nose

attachment=0]Nose.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Nose.jpg
www.seqsa.net
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

Had a gap in things to do, was still a busy day. So I did a couple of things to be placeholders behind the Orlik, behind the Meteor.
Printed the nose and I burnt some parts for the canopy shroud.
20201127_191659_copy_800x389.jpg
20201127_135005.jpg
www.seqsa.net
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

I have more experience with the program now. I've been through it all again and fine tuned it ready to cut.
Thanks Cliff for looking at the wing file some months back, that helped with some ideas and was better than my attempt.
In DevWing you can define the shape of the skin too much so I'll need to cut some away. Most of the outer panel is sheeted.
Same with an under cut under the back lower part of the rudder.
I'll probably laser cut the short kit this week, but then it goes into the build queue ...........................
Meiningen.jpg
www.seqsa.net