• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Scratch built Slingsby King Kite 1/4**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Mike F

Re: Scratch built Slingsby King Kite 1/4

Post by Mike F »

Hi Vincent

Thank you for your highly detailed build log with great photos and explanations of your building techniques.

Much appreciated!

Mike F
Bovin

Post by Bovin »

Thanks Peter and Mike for your kind words!
I also learned a lot from all the info on this and related sites or fora, for example the PVA with a foil iron technique, so I am glad to do something in return. (my parents used to be teachers ...)

Vincent
Bovin

Post by Bovin »

The wings are completely sheeted. Again a lot of panels, glued with the same technique, dried PVA and fixed with a foil iron.
IMG_2736.JPG
IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2738.JPG
I have some doubts how that sticks to the balsa ribs, I think I should apply 2X PVA on them, now that the wing is still “open ”, I can apply some extra glue, but when the top goes on, that will no longer be possible. As I got closer to the wingtip, I found that an extra pivot point for the aileron was needed. First drilled an oversized hole and then glued an epoxy bearing plate to the rib.
IMG_2739.JPG
IMG_2739.JPG (16.59 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
IMG_2740.JPG

With a long batten with sanding paper I sanded the edge of the sheeting straight .
IMG_2741.JPG
IMG_2742.JPG
IMG_2743.JPG
IMG_2745.JPG
The sheeted wings look very strong!

Vincent
Bovin

Post by Bovin »

I now sheeted the topside of the wing, pre-priming the balsa ribs with PVA, that seems to work better.
IMG_2750.JPG
IMG_2751.JPG
Next I had to trim the back of the sheeting for the ailerons and flaps. By the way, I had already done that with the bottom sheeting before applying the top sheeting. I did this by drilling a few 1mm pilot holes with the hinge pins as guidance and cutting the plywood along these holes. Of course there was still a lot of sanding. When the top of the wings were sheeted, I just repeated the process.
IMG_2753.JPG
The ailerons and flaps remain demountable, just like that of the horizontal stabilizer
IMG_2260.JPG
IMG_2262.JPG
I plugged in the leads and to my relief it all worked.
The wings are now roughly finished weigh 936 and 942 grams.
IMG_2754.JPG
IMG_2755.JPG
Vincent
SedB

Post by SedB »

A very nice build so far, I enjoy to see is all come together!
The wings look great, I wonder how you achieved so little difference in weight between the two? Did you weight them in between, or is this the result of working precise?

Daniel
Bovin

Post by Bovin »

Thank you for your nice comments and yes I am also looking forward to see it as a whole (I had a small preview :) ).
The weight of the wings is purely a coincidence, what helped that not much balsa is used, ply for sheeting, spruce for spars? only the ribs are from balsa, but it was selected balsa, all medium.
I found it difficult working with balsa ribs and the spruce, sanding is very tricky, but I am very pleased that the wings didn't turn out heavy.

Vincent
Bovin

Post by Bovin »

In the real glider there is a gap between fuselage and wing to get to the connecting gear.
Schermopname (158).png
Schermopname (158).png (91.85 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
This gap is covered with a curved strip of plywood
Schermopname (156).png
Schermopname (156).png (81.04 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
King-Kite-3.jpg
I tried to replicate this. The wing of my model slides over the square glass epoxy wing connector and is secured with a nylon M3 bolt in plywood lips on the fuselage and wing.
IMG_2801.JPG
I made a constructing aid consisting of 2 ribs (equivalent to the root rib). On this I clamped plywood with two rows of 3mm holes. On the inside I put first 2mm balsa and another strip of plywood.
IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2643.JPG
Holding the inner plywood in place with my fingers, I ran thin cyano through the holes on the balsa. I made a nose piece
IMG_2646.JPG
and also an upper and lower piece up to the TE. Then I glued the three pieces together, and cut it lengthwise forming the two filler pieces. I glued magnets to the rear to secure it .
IMG_2807.JPG
This piece now fits exactly in the gap and I glued 5mm wider strips on top, that fit just over the wing and fairing on the fuselage. You slide it over the wing
IMG_2804.JPG
and click the magnets
IMG_2806.JPG
To my relief It suddenly formed a visual unit with the fuselage.
Vincent
Bovin

Post by Bovin »

It was time for the interior, first the pilot
The pilot is very visible, nice to make proper job of it. My sister wanted to make the clothes, but then I must have a figure first. I used my own measurements (a bit photoshopped....) and made the parts from 10mm balsa
IMG_2757.JPG
In the elbows and knees I fitted Hobart hinges,
IMG_2760.JPG
the hips and shoulders I fixed with shockcord
IMG_2762.JPG
In this way you get a figure that can be positioned naturally.
IMG_2759.JPG
To attach the balsa boots I have glued a piece of M2 threaded rod in, which fits into a plastic tube (control tube stuff) in the lower leg. A small bend in the M2 wire provides some friction, just bend it carefully a little. The hands will come with 1mm copper wire in the arms and the head with 10mm beech dowel in the chest. Hands, feet and head remain removable, much easier to get him into his clothes.
IMG_2761.JPG
In the meantime I started with the head, made of sculpey (a kind of clay-like plastic, which is baked at 140gr). This tutorial gives a wonderful explanation, but it is a time consuming job

I start with beech dowel of 10mm, wrap aluminium foil around it (the head may not be solid, it might crack when baking) and then I build the head from layers sculpey
Schermopname (13).png
Schermopname (13).png (77.23 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Schermopname (14).png
Schermopname (14).png (51.91 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
IMG_2766.JPG
It takes me a while, but it's nice work and it starts to look like something (I hope a pilot...)
IMG_2768.JPG
IMG_2769.JPG
Vincent
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Fantastic work!
Bovin

Post by Bovin »

Thanks for your nice words Phil, it is also a remarkable glider, nice to work at it!

Vincent