• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

HABICHT QUARTER SCALE**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
John Fairbairn

Re: HABICHT QUARTER SCALE

Post by John Fairbairn »

That looks like a rather nice paint jpb there Chris. I will be doing mine in the red sunburst, I hope.

At the moment it's progressing slowly as a short while back I managed to screw up my left shoulder and couldn't do much, but it's a lot better now and I'm trying to work things out. I decided to go off plan and cut the ailerons about 1/3rd 2/3rds with the inner 1/3rd to be a flap/aileron. All I have to do now is to work out how to program that into my Tranis Tx. If anyone has any ideas as to how to do this I would be very pleased to here it.

What I want to do is to be able to use both inner and outer sections as ailerons and the inner as flaps. The reason being is all that I have read about the spoilers not being very effective.
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

John.
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

John Fairbairn wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 13:39
All I have to do now is to work out how to program that into my Tranis Tx. If anyone has any ideas as to how to do this I would be very pleased to here it.

What I want to do is to be able to use both inner and outer sections as ailerons and the inner as flaps. The reason being is all that I have read about the spoilers not being very effective.
You might have some luck with the excellent templates from Mike Shellim.

The F3F one is the "go to" for my full house gliders, I just ignore the bits that are not relevant or adapt e.g. spoilers but no flaps? Set the spoilers for "crow" in landing mode, but not for thermic/climb modes etc.

Where you may "come undone" is if you have both Flaps and spoilers, but if you say the spoilers are a bit "meh", ignore them and use crow.

n.b. all this assumes you are OpenTx, not OEM Taranis!

https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/f3f/index.htm

M
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

John Fairbairn wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 13:39 All I have to do now is to work out how to program that into my Tranis Tx. If anyone has any ideas as to how to do this I would be very pleased to here it.
John,
If you have the OpenTx OS on your Taranis then mixing anything with anything is possible. Essentially, if you can think of something, you can probably do it :)
Not sure what is possible on the default system as I changed my Tx to OpenTx pretty quick!
Peter
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

John, the combination of spoilers and up-going ailerons are usually very effective...
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

Thank you Mark. I will look at the link very soon.

I had meant to say that my tranny is on the Open Tx OS and I had realised that anything is possible, but it's the how that leaves me behind at times. I now have the wings fully operative, ailerons, flaps and spoilers and I think that I may even be on the right track for the flap/aileron mix?

I'll give it some more time tomorrow as my beer is going to get cold :shock: :shock:

That sounds promising Chris. I have used that on my Discus2 plastic thing. It certainly slows it down and makes things less 'interesting'! So with flaps as well ???
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.

John.
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

I remembered to get a couple of photos of the flap arrangement today and I think that it should be quite effective.

Also, I managed to get 10 sheets of good quality 1/16th balsa on Saturday and have almost finished sheeting the underside of the Stbd wing. As the spoiler and flap servos are so close together I have put them under the same access hatch as I thought that it would look a real mess if they had separate hatches. It seems to have worked well and I used 1/16th ply for that
IMG_5263.JPG
IMG_5262.JPG

I thought of a simple servo mount. I glued a piece of 1 1/6th ply to the rib with a cutout for the servo and 4 servo mount screws, with the heads cut
Hab servo mount 1.jpeg

The servo is held on the stumps with 2 bent wire clips

Hab servo mount 2.jpeg

And it is a solid as a rock. I don't know if this method has been used before, but I have used it a couple of times and it's very secure.

Hab servo mount .jpeg

John.
chris williams

Re: HABICHT QUARTER SCALE**

Post by chris williams »

It would seem that taking a punt on using my favourite wing section on the Habicht worked out reasonably well. She's aerobatic, at least within my limited capabilities, will fly inverted, and is ultra-safe at low speed... I'll let the video do the talking:

John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

Well at long last my Habicht is as finished as I can get it
IMG_6937.JPG
IMG_6938.JPG
IMG_6939.JPG

The only things that are missing is that I don't know what the control throws are best set at and the right conditions for me to chuck it off of Selsley Common.

As you can probably see I got the flaps in there OK and they operate to give the model the full length ailerons as well. Not as difficult as I had expected to get the programming right on that one. Just some fine tuning on the throws. If I had the chance to use the Frize ailerons on another model I would run a mile and as a non runner I'm not likely to do that!

The airbrush job isn't as good as it really should be, but I claim that as it was the first time I had used one it ain't that bad? The decals were inkjet printed on transparent vinyl.

John.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

John,
Did you fit a tow release??

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
chris williams

Post by chris williams »