• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

HABICHT QUARTER SCALE**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
John Fairbairn

Re: HABICHT QUARTER SCALE

Post by John Fairbairn »

Hi Chris, I have been a fan of your Habicht for quite a while now and got your plan and the Silent Flight mag December/January 1993 and started building. Due to circumstances the part build fuselage, wings and tail were put to one side. A few months back I was able to dive back in to the build. I had searched for information on on the build and eventually found the RC-Network.de forum and the 51 page thread on the Habicht. From there I was given the link to here. A convoluted route.

My plan shows the Frize ailerons and it is certainly making the hinging of them 'interesting. There are a lot of other differences between your 90s plan and the model you have shown us here. Can you tell me if it's the plan for a different mark Habicht?

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a load of photos I could post if you wish? Or would it be better for me to start a new 1/4 scale Habicht thread?
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

John.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Blimey John, a plan from the last century...! As I recall, the main difference is in the wing section, this old plan featuring that of the full size. I have experimented with different sections over the years on different Habichts, and come to the conclusion that, at these scales, you're never going to compete with the glass jobbies when it comes to hooning. The current version features simplified top-hinged ailerons, and the HQ 35 section. This has proven to be reasonably aerobatic and yet still super-safe at low speeds.
Post some pics by all means on this thread, or start a new one, it's up to you. I have scans of the original build article if you need them, but I imagine all the original pics have turned to dust by now...
IMG_3210.JPG
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

Thank you for your reply Chris. It's good to know that someone does know ALL about it. I actually have your original Silent flight in front of me now, but any information will be gratefully received.

I'm now a bit of a dab hand with 1/64th ply and even sorted out that it's 0.4mm for the German forum! When I started my build things like wing servos were not around, so I have my aileron servos in the wing root with hollow snake inners in place for closed loop runs, but I think that I may run them to an arm by the surface and use the arm to connect to the control surface by push rod. It would be quite short and all the weight would be inboard.
IMG_4630.JPG
IMG_4531.JPG

The lower rear 1/32nd ply sheet for the stbd side is shown below. It took a load of lakky bands and some lengths from a dead saw band from my band saw to get it glued in place, but it worked well.
IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_4712.JPG

I did the tail plane in 2 halves so that it's very easy to remove for transport and it is mounted on 1/8th ply tongues
Tail plane assy 1.JPG
Tail plane assy 3.JPG

The wings arre very much as per the plan, but with open rather than solid tips. The trailing edge for the ailerons and the aileron leading edges in 1/64th ply were fun, but not too bad after the ply had been wet and tightly wrapped onto a broom handle! They even finished up straight!
IMG_20210317_152412666.jpg
IMG_4441.JPG

I'll leave it at that for the moment before I fall asleep!

Before I forget. Any information on control throws for the ailerons and elevator would be gratefully received, as you said

"The first thing that you will notice is a razor sharp response to the aileron control" and later is the write up "The elevator as set up on the plan is fairly lively"! :shock:
Last edited by John Fairbairn on 11 Apr 2021, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.

John.
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

I have to admit that I struggled to find a way to align the wing roots at first until I had the idea of mounting the wings on the roots. I have use the Multiplex MULTIlock Uni-Set to secure them, 2 in each side. Then mounting the wings on to the fuz, carefully measuring the distance from each wing tip to tail and cyano the roots to the fuz. Once that was cured properly I held it more solidly with Zpoxy with microfibre glass mixed in. That way I was pretty sure that the wings were aligned correctly.
IMG_5027.JPG

I am sorry if this is jumping about a bit.

Edit. : - It's quite strange the way that the text is showing up alongside the photos? If I look at the post on 'Preview' it all looks as it should do, but then when I post it it changes?

Edit 2 : - I think I have cracked the text problem. I had only left a single line space under the photos, but tried 2 line spaces and it puts the text where it should be, I hope :mrgreen:

John.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Looks good John.
Another solution to photos is not to click the ‘inline’ box, which will then add all photos in a group below all of the text. You can add a meaningful title to each photo if you like in the adjacent text box.

I tend to add photos one at a time, then you know which one had an issue loading ;)
Peter
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

John, I'm a little concerned about the split tailplane. Is there more than one ply plate holding them together...?
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

No, there is the 1/8th ply sheet straight through the tail housing, but I will be fitting the bracing struts and there will be a fixing through the ply to stop the tail halves from moving. So I don't think there will be a structural problem? The ply into the halves is 1 1/2" square so it should give a good solid fixing. I have to admit that that ply looks smaller on the photo above than it actually is.

I used the square drive for the elevators on my Fougar Magister and it works really well and positive.

John.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Ah yes, the struts should sort it...
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

If you really want to see something hairy Chris you should see the wing fixing on my 1.5th scale Crick Grunau Baby! The struts on there are everything.

The wing joiners are 2 1/16th (if I remember correctly) wires, the wings are held together with 2 split pins in each wing root that overlap and a wooden pin is inserted in each overlapping pair to stop the wings sliding of the wires. If there's a heavy landing the wing tips tend to finish up touching the ground!
Granau scanned 1.pdf
(805.6 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

The full size was once described to me as like flying whilst sitting on the top of a big ball bearing. You could slide off any way at any time! Sounds a bit like my model? Lovely in the air though.

I have just been painting the Habicht driver. It's the first time I have ever done anything like it and the eyes have it, as they say somewhere in London? Even after a lot of watching youtube on how they still don't look quite right, but not too bad I suppose/ Just the shirt to do, but I haven't decided on the colour yet?
Habicht driver 2.JPG
Habicht driver 1.JPG

John.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

I managed to dig out some old pics of the prototype.... (Fairly recent, actually...only 19 years old)
08310003 copy - Copy.jpg
08310017.JPG
08310063.JPG
Attachments
08310018.JPG