• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

ASK13 1/3 Scale**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
IanT-White

Re: ASK13 1/3 Scale

Post by IanT-White »

Peter , really impressed with your model , re light weight Ceconite , used it on several models .
John Rickett passed on a good tip and that was to apply a coat of the thinned Super Seam cement ( from LAS Aerospace) to the outline and under cambered part of the ribs and let it dry.
Drape on the Ceconite and reactivate the cement with a brush and the Super Seam thinners ( MEK ) brushed thru the fabric , best wear gloves as you press it down .
This gives a good "grip" and once the fabric is stuck down you can apply a thinned coat of the cement to the outline , again thru the fabric and let it dry before doping the model .
Re your wrinkles !! , or should I say the wrinkles on your model ( only joking ) I was disappointed to see wrinkles in the 0.8mm ply covering on a scale power model , I had used some ply that I bought quite some time ago and it was probably "wavy" before I applied it .
John Rickett is my inspector for the C.A.A. over 25 kg models and during an inspection of the model , when I mentioned the wrinkles , he said congratulations , just like a full size aircraft !
Best regards Ian Turney-White
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi Ian,
I originally tried the LAS Super Seam Cement on the first couple of models I covered with Ceconite, but found it a real pain to use as it dries in a matter of seconds. However, your tip of just applying an initial border, letting it dry & re-activating sounds as if that would be a good way.

I think that I might have been John Greenfield that suggested using dope & that works very well, allowing any sagging areas to be gently shrunk to tauhten before applying dope there.
Peter
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Peter , its often best to use the method that suits you , one of the things I found , was that the Super Seam cement worked best when well thinned.
As you say John Greenfield successfully uses dope ( mainly on Diatex ) .
Personally I found that the Super Seam cement gave a stronger bond , but its what ever "floats your boat " !!!
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

IanT-White wrote: 06 May 2021, 11:47 But its what ever "floats your boat " !!!
Or maybe whatever flies your glider...

:lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)

BC
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Wasn't there a flying boat glider ???
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

IanT-White wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:29 Wasn't there a flying boat glider ???
sea adler.jpg
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

And as if to prove it:-

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Superb model, quality of construction something to aspire to .
Ian Turney-White
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

I actually use "Balsaloc" to attach the covering as you can just iron the covering on with a low temp iron (not hot enough to shrink the covering but enough to activate the Balsaloc). Once attached I brush dope around the edges and any undercamber to lock the covering to the structure and then start the shrinking process with a hotter iron.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Thanks John, that sounds an even better way to get started :)
Peter