• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

ASK13 1/3 Scale**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

Re: ASK13 1/3 Scale

Post by Peter Balcombe »

All 3 wheels now fully installed and the lower fuselage skins fitted.
7F202755-E79B-4972-A93F-FE226FDA9CA8.jpeg
149DB74C-458C-4075-8B5E-3E5596835C7F.jpeg
EBE02BA8-EA09-4E9C-8E65-55E323AEEFB1.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Operations have re-commenced on preparing the wings for skinning in the outdoor workshop as a result of the warmer weather, but meanwhile the tail control surfaces have also being prepared for application of the limited skins.
The rudder pinless hinges have been fitted together with internal guide tubes for the long piano wire pin, then the LE fitted & shaped. Rudder C/L horn also fitted & boxed in with block balsa.
The elevator LE strips have also been shaped & the horns epoxied in.

Although Jilles’ plan shows a bottom horn on the elevator trim tab, coupled with trim pushrod attachment to the side of the fuselage under the tailplane, I will revert to a scale upper surface trim horn & try to ensure a similar anti-servo action (tab moving in opposite direction to the elevator).
I have obtained some shots of the trim tab horn & connections on a full size ASK13 based at the Mendip Gliding Club (many thanks Lez), plus a couple of dimensions for the trim tab horn, so watch this space.
Elevator horns fitted
Elevator horns fitted
Rudder hinged
Rudder hinged
Trim tab from root
Trim tab from root
Trim tab horn from top surface
Trim tab horn from top surface
Trim tab pushrod to fuz bellcrank
Trim tab pushrod to fuz bellcrank
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Anti-servo tab moves the same direction as the control surface....just saying.

Gordon
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

GeeW wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 19:02 Anti-servo tab moves the same direction as the control surface....just saying.

Gordon
Thanks Gordon,
I meant the other one then :oops:
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Despite the recent lack of posts, I’ve been busy prepping & skinning the wings & now have them pretty much done.
The pics below show that one wing is nearly done apart from adding rib cap strips & shaping the LE/tip block, whilst the 2nd isn’t too far behind.
I will fit the LE strips on the 2nd wing today.

Note that the servo cables are routed through the D box, so don’t forget to install these before closing up with the lower skins - I nearly did, but remembered as I was ironing on the outer skin section. I managed to fish a wire through the inner section to save the day ;)
C6A7265F-A774-45B8-AB2E-AF8AA43494BF.jpeg
360E6F8C-DFC2-4814-BE82-C31B9BF28DFB.jpeg
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

"Note that the servo cables are routed through the D box, so don’t forget to install these before closing up with the lower skins - I nearly did, but remembered as I was ironing on the outer skin section. I managed to fish a wire through the inner section to save the day ;) "

Thanks, Peter. That makes me feel a lot better. :lol:

It's all looking excellent. 8-)
Max
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Mr Murphy said that if you don’t secure the servo leads at the servo end, they will find their way back into the D box when you move the wings to turn them around :lol: :lol:
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Wings & tail feathers now fully skinned & just need a bit of preparation (including servo hatch installation) before covering can commence.
Meanwhile, an alternative elevator trim tab has been fitted & the starboard elevator temporarily hinged to try out tab movement. It appears that the tab pushrod effective centreline needs to go on the same side of the elevator hinge line as the tab horn in order to get tab moving in the opposite direction to the elevator. (Hence reason that Jilles has used a bottom horn to get opposition movement)
I will investigate a bit of pushrod kinking to try to achieve the same effect with a top horn - after all the full size manages to achieve it with the tab pushrod attaching to a crank just inside the upper rear fuselage.

Meanwhile, the canopy moulding has arrived! I think I will use it to grow some tomatos :D
72D8AFFA-8CCF-45E5-AA9D-2D257B61ABCF.jpeg
8847EDCE-1B93-4AAE-9D07-8C448BF8CE1D.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Well, I didn’t use the greenhouse for tomatoes after all.
Today was spent hinging the glazed canopy using the method similar to the full size & as used on my 1/4 scale build.
I solder brass tubes onto pieces of brass plate (tube centreline offset from plate centreline to allow the two mating hinge plates to be recessed into fuselage & canopy frame)
In this case I used 3/32” brass rod, 1/8” OD tube & 0.8mm plate.
The hinges are set at same centres as Jilles’ plan hinges, but they allow the canopy to be slid off towards the nose & easily replaced by the Cabriolet canopy (just like on the full size).
The brass pins will be fixed into the canopy tube side later.
The canopy frame hinge plates are initially fixed with epoxy with the parts aligned, then screwed inserted for added security once the hinge has been opened up. These screws are visible in the hinge close-up shot.

The canopy moulding shown yesterday was also attacked with a disc cutter to remove the curved moulding from the vac formed sheet surround. (The removed moulded canopy thickness varies between 0.035” & 0.055” as measured near the edges in a few places by my trusty micrometer. It was nearer 0.062” at the edges of the surrounding sheet - hence the cutting disc ;) )

With the canopy frame sat inside the moulding, it is clear that there is still plenty of ‘meat’ to trim off all round.
(Note that the moulding still has protective film in place on both sides.)
445A56F6-2209-4D86-BC3E-7F04FE85F333.jpeg
867BC016-546C-4989-831A-5237F3F1E5D8.jpeg
873CAB83-00B9-4DA9-8F19-EB892F38B935.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Canopy locking mechanism fitted as used on 1/4 scale version and similar to that used on the full size.
2 photos show rear & front locks.
A single 16g rod slides in the fuselage mounted (LH) tube, engaging in the canopy (RH) tubes with forward travel.
Not shown in forward area photo is an additional tube connected to an external release tab which passes through a slot in the bottom of the canopy frame. This tube is fixed to the rod just aft of the forward catch.
Rear canopy catch
Rear canopy catch
Front canopy catch
Front canopy catch
CBCF24C3-1E37-426E-A595-2055E13084F9.jpeg