• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Falke T-61A Cliff Charlesworth Plans.**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Max Wright

Re: Falke T-61A Cliff Charlesworth Plans.

Post by Max Wright »

OK. I'm at one of those spots which is taking a bit of thinking - so now you know why it's taking so long. :lol:

I've set my frames up on my Robbie Bridson jig and cut my upper "keel" as Cliff calls it. I think boaties might call it a king plank. Anyway, It's 19 mm at the front and 6 mm at the rear according to the instructions.

No problems so far - however there is a bit of a one when I try to add it to the tops of the frames . . .

T-61A 81.JPG
T-61A 82.JPG

I've double and triple checked the locations of the frames on the jig. In any case, the locations of frames 3,4 and 5 are predetermined by the tabs. So I'm nearly convinced that I'm going to have to "adjust" either the plank or the frames. I think that I'll opt for cutting out the notches in the frames as they have more meat.

I'll allow time for comments before I commence the surgery. :D :?
Max
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

I would notch the keel rather than extend the notches in the formers. If you do it that way it will lock the formers in position. And it is called a "keel" because it is not a boat! :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Sorry, Cliff.

I didn't get a notification of your post - so naturally I've done the opposite. :oops:

I don't know what's happened to my profile. I went to this thread and the forum kicked me out and made me log in again. Anyway, I'm back. 8-) I notice that there have been a couple of other posts on other threads I've been following, that I haven't received as well. Not to worry, I'll chase them up now I'm back in.

I'm doing my 10,000 steps a day up in the studio walking between the plans and the build table.

I've got two longerons and two shorterons in and two more long ones spliced, ready to go.

T-61A 83.JPG

Onwards and upwards. 8-)
Max
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

I'm still chugging along. :P

I've got all of the top longerons in, but now I've noticed that I won't be able to get my hand inside to tighten the wing joiners.

I had a look at Trevor's blog, as he cut all of his kit himself - and I noticed that his former isn't solid like mine.

I've left the cross piece in and just opened the top half.

T-61A 84.JPG

Cheers
Max
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hello Max. I can’t remember if you’re going with the ‘rubber bands and cup hooks’ wing retention method. If so, it’s quite feasible to fit the bands without any internal access - you’ll just need a longer hook than usual to pull the bands through. However, as you’ve noticed, I opted to keep access clear so that I can fit the bands from inside, once the wings are fully home. Note that I also glued the rear glazed section of the cockpit to the removable canopy, again for ease of access to the internals.
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Thanks, Trevor.

I'm not ignoring you, I just don't get any notifications of posts.

The collective wisdom at our club is to use cable ties, rather than rubber bands. Once they are threaded through, they can be tightened by using long nosed pliers - similar to the old sardine tin lids.

You may be old enough to remember them. :lol:

It's the system I use on my Grunau and other gliders.

In the meanwhile, I've been adding some more bits of wood . . .

T-61A 85.JPG
T-61A 86.JPG

It's all feeling nice and strong.

Cheers
Max
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Trevor wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 09:36 Hello Max. Note that I also glued the rear glazed section of the cockpit to the removable canopy, again for ease of access to the internals.
I thought that was how you did it, Trevor.

I was planning to steal that idea. :P
Max
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

These plans are clearly for experienced builders, so I'm having to think a lot about each new section before I jump in.

This is after completion of the rear stabiliser . . .

T-61A 87.JPG

Now I've got the elevator built . . .

T-61A 88.JPG

And the hinges are epoxied into the elevator and loosely fitted to the stabiliser . . .

T-61A 89.JPG

Now I have to glue in the trims on the elevator and carefully sand both parts so the elevator can rotate inside the sheath on the stabiliser.

The trim tab on the plans doesn't match my prototype photos, so I've adjusted it.

Softly, softly, etc. 8-)
Max
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

You are slowly getting there Max. I like the workmanship.
Brian. :)
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Thanks, Brian. 8-)
Max