• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Falke T-61A Cliff Charlesworth Plans.**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Trevor

Re: Falke T-61A Cliff Charlesworth Plans.**

Post by Trevor »

Max. I suspect that there is quite a bit of variation amongst the full size examples. Here is a pic of the one I based my model on:
Attachments
P1000632.JPG
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Max,
It could be that Cliff Charlesworth positioned his prop height to suit his planned engine installation, rather than keeping to true scale in that area.
Having said that, it’s interesting that the cowl appears to have the cutout in a more scale position.
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Hi Trevor

That one has the crank shaft in line with the top of the tear drop.
Max
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Hi Peter

No one appears to be addressing my question.

Cheers
Max
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Peter Balcombe wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 11:18 Max,
It could be that Cliff Charlesworth positioned his prop height to suit his planned engine installation, rather than keeping to true scale in that area.
Having said that, it’s interesting that the cowl appears to have the cutout in a more scale position.

I think Peter addressed the question!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Hi Cliff

The question was/is . . . If the motor is moved above the thrust line, does that cause the model to require up or down elevator to compensate? My research is telling me that it will require down elevator.

That should be an easy fix - place washers under the top stand offs to shim it down.

Cheers
Max
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Max,
In olden days it was necessary to add down/side thrust to compensate for thrust lines & torque roll, which tended to complicate the cowling penetrations as the prop shaft/backplate wasn’t square to the cowl penetration/front face.

These days, I suspect that it is much more practical to compensate by mixing elevator with throttle etc. as required & keep the motor installation/cowl penetration straightforward.
Peter
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Yep. Thanks, Peter.

I have those mixes on some of my planes.

It was as much an academic enquiry as anything.

Starting in this hobby at 70, I have a lot of catching up to do. :D

Cheers
Max
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

Hi Max, I have looked at every image I could find for GVZ.
Firstly, I think the motor thrust line might be correct or very close to it for the standard Falke T61.
Secondly, GVZ has a different cowl shape. The teardrops are a different and are angled down compared to the "standard" cowl. That may change the visuals a bit. Plus there is an optical ilusion in the image you posted.
Thirdly, provided all other factors have already been addressed for balanced flight. Thrust angle would be more important to set correctly (during the application of thrust) and once set moving the engine up or down a bit wouldn't affect much.
Those power pods you see on top of models induce a large pitch down, so they have the thrust line angled up around 5deg or more, they are also mounted nearer the CG longitudinally and have a much larger moment vertically. The small change you might do on your firewall won't have much of an affect, easily countered by elevator trim.

It might not be relevant but I got caught out by this optical illusion initially.
It might not be relevant but I got caught out by this optical illusion initially.
Nice front view also shows the "line". Photo taken in 2008. Not sure if the black antiglare paint went on before or after.
Nice front view also shows the "line". Photo taken in 2008. Not sure if the black antiglare paint went on before or after.
Another cowl shot.
Another cowl shot.

I found a web advert stating GVZ is for sale for $12000. Buy it, convert to R/C and you have a great 100% scale model. :D
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

I forgot about the ABS glue question. I've done a lot of experimenting. Best is to melt some of the offcuts in some acetone and make a slurry about the consistency of cream, apply, clamp or tape and let set for a day. However if the ABS pieces are thin, don't apply too much, the solvent might be too aggressive. Some plastic model cements work well, Tamiya make an ABS cement. I don't use epoxy or super glue on ABS as the results have been mostly unreliable.
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net