Zephyrus from down under

Let us all watch your new project progress.
VinceC
Site Admin

Zephyrus from down under

Post by VinceC » 21 Jul 2015, 15:27

Zephyrus Plan.jpg
I have been out of action for a while due to other problems. but I have finally motivated myself to get on and build from a plan I drew some while ago. I previously posted about the Australian two seat Zephyrus with what I consider to have a most beautiful wing shape. I have put together a web page for you to take a look at and admire this 1960's glider which used to compete well against glass gliders in its early days.

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/D ... hyrus.html

The model is at 1:3.5 scale, but it will still be a beefy glider with a long and very deep fuselage.I have made a start on the fuselage, but immediately came across problems associated with lack of information, but I think I have now overcome that hurdle and hopefully moving on. I am not rushing with this, as eventually I hope to make the plan available for free to join our growing list.

Thanks go to Cliff for laser cutting the parts for me

VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Zephyrus from down under

Post by VinceC » 21 Jul 2015, 15:31

IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
I started with the centre fuselage section as it all plugs nicely together, but later found I had to modify the shape of the area underside, following more information. An additional nose is added to the root rib and the whole sanded back for an attachment area for the canopy

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 21 Jul 2015, 15:35

IMG_0618.JPG
A dry fit provide the fit of all the longerons until I hit a brick wall with the waistline and underside profiles. These have now been adjusted after more details from Auz and work continues

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 21 Jul 2015, 16:35

Good to see you building again Vince. Keep it up.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

BC

Dion Dunn

Post by Dion Dunn » 21 Jul 2015, 21:16

Very interesting subject. Looking forward to watching this one progress.
Dion

Frankie Valent

Post by Frankie Valent » 22 Jul 2015, 04:33

Goog subject Vince. I´m looking forward to see progress on this baby

Frankie

RobbieB

Post by RobbieB » 22 Jul 2015, 08:11

Vince,

I see what you mean about that wing - stick at it!

Steve Morris

Post by Steve Morris » 22 Jul 2015, 09:11

That's a great looking wing Vince, looking forward to seeing this one take shape

Steve

Tom Pack

Post by Tom Pack » 23 Jul 2015, 07:24

Way to go Vince! Excellent work.... looking forward to seeing this one completed!

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 26 Jul 2015, 13:37

A build log is not my idea of fun, so please forgive the amateur status. If you are a fan of Jigs, then look away now as you won't see one.

I pondered over how I was going to build the fuselage as I had already built the centre section. To jig or not to jig, that was the question, until I hit upon the idea of building inverted starting at the rear. I always cover my building area with heavy duty wallpaper dry liner and onto this I drew the fuselage centre line to which the fuselage top longeron was tacked into position on the wallpaper along its length using cyano. I then glued the upper and lower rear fuselage longerons into position, inverted the assembly and laid out on the workbench with the fuselage top longeron on the centre line. By measuring each rear former station position, I assembled the formers onto the longeron with the tall rudder post former hanging off and below my work area. I fastened two carbon rods vertically onto the front and rear formers as sight line to check on the build vertical straightness.
IMG_0881.jpg
Next up was to install the two side longerons which hold the fabric off the formers. On the full size they are just strips of wood, but I decided to make them deeper as part of the structure and inset them horizontally into the formers. The outside edge of these strips has to be slightly rounded.

Here I hit my first problem in that the fuselage waist from the centre section to the rear was a bit severe, but fortunately I was able to obtain photos from Australia to give me some idea of the angles required. This raises a problem with 3-views, in that they only generally show the widest point and what goes on below that can be a mystery. I remade two formers and changed the wheel housing shape.

Then came my next headache - how to create the 'S' bends in these longerons, which were still quite severe.I had been informed that soaking the wood with Ammonia would help shape the wood - DON'T DO IT. I wasted time and broke longerons and it all failed, so back to steaming to bend them. I have steamed wood for years, but it has always been a lash up to create something to work with, so I decided once and for all to make a proper steamer. Details of this are in the forum here:

http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... ?f=7&t=338
IMG_0874.jpg
Now I could proceed to add the main side longerons, which are a straight line through the centre section and the lower longeron, passing alongside the wheel housing and clamping onto the rear fuselage bottom longeron in a 'V' fashion.

Now to the question of building the front section. Fortunately the two smaller side longerons are parallel to each other from back to front. This allowed me to mark the stations for the forward formers and glue them in place up to, but not including the nose former as there is no attachment point for them on this former. The main side longerons were glued to the first two of these formers up to the point where they will need to be steamed into shape. As there will be a chance of vertical distortion whilst bending and fitting these, I added vertical supports to the front formers in readiness for the next stage. All is going well so far and lines up accurately. Phew!
IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg